“Absolutely Brilliant”

Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Hervey Bay
Adelaide, Australia
“Absolutely Brilliant”
Reviewed March 22, 2011

We have just spent 6 magnificent nights at the Ramada. I cannot speak highly enough of the resort and its staff. Even before we went the help we were given over the internet from Jamie was excellent. We upgraded to a suite and were pleasantly surprised at the layout and room we had. We dined at the restaurant on several occasions including breakfast daily, and the ladies "Karen and Lou" looked after us very well - even preparing early breakfasts for us so we didn't miss out. And the chef who happily cooked the fish we caught for our dinner did a superb job. The resort is only about 2 minutes walk from the marina, boat club, and several restaurants. Hervey Bay itself is quite spread out and we found it easier to hire a car to get around which gave us even more flexibility to explore further afield.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Neil2258

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
hervey bay
Reviewed January 27, 2011

My husband and I live in the Bay thought we would go out for new year for the first time in 5 years that we have lived here.We had family staying with us from Canberra my sister in law and I checked out the restaurant the day before got a fantastic table as there was 9 of us in total.Upon arrival Manager introduced himself said welcome enjoy your nite. We thought this seems like it will be good.We arrived at 6.30 pm ordered drinks 9 all alcoholic except 3 had to remind them where was all of our drinks as the waitress only brought out 5 waited waited waited 10 minutes later.
We got our drinks ordered another round as they were slow. Ordered entree it came out bread went on to table slided of the plate waiter just put it back on plate we said u can take that he looked at us strange. Then we ordered main the waitress brought our mains but not all turned up at the same time like our drink order,plus the plates were still on the table from our entree so there was no room for the plates we had to help waiter remove empty plates so he could place our dinner on the table.So here we were all holding our plates in the air so we could get our dinner.The waiter dropped knife on the concrete floor picked it up put it on the table my husband said you can take that get another one waiter said i will wipe it for you he did on his bloody apron gave it back, husband said no get me a clean one. Food is lovely apart from the service for a RAMADA is total disgusting. It was now 9pm we wanted to order desert, heard a noise it was the roller door coming down over the kitchen serving bar, we asked waiter what was going on she said we are now closed. We could not believe it we wanted coffee but no could not get anything. All staff had gone home by 9pm. No one told us they would be closing we asked for manager waitress told us he had left. I looked around there he was in jeans and shirt chatting to someone he obviously knew . My husband and brother in law told him of our evening experience he said sorry we were busy. There was probably about 40 people there on the nite. This costed us a total of $478.65 and we helped with the serving of the table dont forget. He has given my husband a free dinner. But there is no way we will be going there ever again this RAMADA was an embrassement to my husband and myself, taking our interstate family . REMEMBER DONT GO !!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank where299
Andrew D, General Manager at Ramada Hervey Bay, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear where299,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to complete the tripadvisor review for the Ramada Hervey Bay and Smokey Joes Cafe some time ago. I have fairly recently joined the hotel as General Manager.

Firstly my sincere apologies about your experiences at Smokey Joes Cafe. This was before my time but I totally understand how unpleasant your experiences were.

There has been a large number of changes here and we have an excellent team of associates or team members. We are also now number 7 on tripadvisor so you can see that Smokey Joes Cafe has really improved. .

As and when you do decide to come back please do make contact with me personally, I would personally look after you.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2010

We stayed here during our Australian road trip when we were going over to Frazer Island. It is only a short walk from the hotel to the departure point. The staff are very polite, the rooms were immaculate and the food in the restaurant was very nice. We had breakfast and an evening meal. It is a pity that Ramada only have a couple of hotels in Australia, they great value for money.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
Reviewed September 29, 2010

We recently stayed for 5 nights at this hotel. The rooms themselves were modern and a good size. However, the water pressure in the shower was so bad that I could not wash my hair and had to fill a container in the sink to try and wash out the shampoo and conditioner. The trickle of water could barely wash the soap off my body. The rooms do not get serviced unless requested which left us with wet towels. Also, I could not get service for my mobile broadband Internet. I called the reception who said I could come down and use wi-fi in the foyer area. After coming down from my room I was then notified that it would be $9 per hour to use. The dishwasher in the room was broken and had to be fixed by staff. The hotel car park is very small. The hotel was not near full capacity when we stayed yet there was only one free space available in the car park. Also, the hotel address is the Esplanade which implies waterfront but is actually about 1/2 km back from the water which was a little deceiving.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear delly18,

Many thanks for taking the time to complete the tripadvisor review for the Ramada Hervey Bay some time ago. I have fairly recently joined the hotel as General Manager.

Firstly my sincere apologies about your experiences on your stay. This was before my time but I totally understand how you must feel.

There has been a large number of changes here and we have an excellent team of associates or team members. We are also now number 7 on tripadvisor so you can see the hotel has really improved. Please do have a look at our web site.

We have addressed the water pressure and have regualr maintenance checks to ensure items work. With the servicing of the rooms this is typical of a resort and would be found at our competitors both from eco reasons and also to keep our guest prices down. However we do provide a mini service in one of our packages (the Corporate First) or for $30 a day. The internet is free in our lounge where we have a computer and around the lobby.

Reviewed August 27, 2010

Stayed one night. Corporate discount available and they reduced it even further when we said we didn't want the one breakfast they offered - read: negotiate!

Lovely room overlooking bay/marina. Car park is secure but not many spots - hate to be there high season.

Staff young but pleasant.

Bed was two king singles joined. Could be a queen or king but was ok.

Good stay; would recommend

• Stayed August 2010
Brisbane
Reviewed August 25, 2010

My husband has stayed at this hotel several times and I have accompanied him now on two visits. On both occasions the rooms were clean and are spacious and contemporary with a nice view of the pool. The bathroom was attractive and modern. The bed was two singles pushed together but this wasn't a major problem although I would have preferred a queen size bed. The room didn't smell of smoke but there was an ashtray on the verandah so I guess we were lucky the previous occupants didn't smoke.
My husband had an early meeting so we arrived at the hotel at 10am to drop off our luggage. I was told the room would not be ready until midday but was checked in so I could go directly to the room after 12 o'clock - which I thought was OK although later on I thought the hotel was pretty empty! The young girl who served me didn't seem very confident, you might have thought she was new to hotel reception work but I remember her from the previous visit some several months earlier.
To get to the room you have to enter through a locked door to a vestibule which has entry to two rooms. This is a very small area and when the door slammed shut behind me I was left in the dark to fumble to find the card entry to the room - felt quite uncomfortable. The rooms are quite dimly lit so I searched for more lighting but found the lamp beside the bed didn't even have a bulb in it so I phoned reception and asked for the two bulbs to be replaced.
The male on reception said because it was now after 5pm (it was 5.15pm) he couldn't get an electrician and he didn't have any spare bulbs so he couldn't help. I told him that this wasn't very good but he just stayed silent so I then said goodbye on the phone and hung up. I'm sure there were plenty of rooms he could have got a bulb from as I didn't see more than a couple of people during the whole stay and the restaurant was empty. Most unsatisfactory.
To give credit where credit is due the person on reception in the morning upon asking me how the stay was, and I told her about the light bulbs, did apologise for the conduct of the male and said they should have got bulbs to fix the problem. Her manner was professional and she seemed genuinely concerned about my predicament in the unlit unit entry area.
My husband has stayed there because he feels it is good value for money which I agree it is but because of the above treatment he (we) will, in future, look for a room more central to the main part of town. You need a car to get around Hervey Bay and additionally parking can be limited at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Frenchtraveller8
Andrew D, General Manager at Ramada Hervey Bay, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Frenchtraveller8,

Thank you so verry much for taking the time to complete the tripadvisor review for the Ramada Hervey Bay some time ago. I have fairly recently joined the hotel as General Manager.

Firstly I want to take this opportunity to apologise about your experiences on your stay, in particular the light bulb incident. This was before I joined the hotel and I totally understand how unhappy you must feel.

There has been a large number of changes here and we have an excellent team of well trained associates or team members lead by great Heads of Department. We are also now number 7 on tripadvisor so you can see the hotel has really improved. With the beds the studios are split kings which is common in hotels so that they be a king double or alternatively a twin. However our suites whcih are popular are a king and just one mattress and no zip. Please do have a look at our web site.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 18, 2010

The room is big, nice bath bathroom,but the light was so dim. Also they did not change our towles,and when we went to use them they were still damp.
We also had trouble getting the air con to work to keep us warm.
Lovely big bed, untill you realise its two king singles put together,and you can feel the join when you are in bed.

We went to the spa which was supposed to be heated,my goshwater was freezing.
Went to the sauna,couldn't get it working,called staff to help and no one new how it worked,eventually someone came to help.....he had to read instructions just like we did lol,and said thats what you do(which we already did) stayed for at least 25 mins,realised it still wasnt working.
We moved on to the gym equip. One cross trainer and a bike which did not work, you couldn't select different exercise programs.
We went out for dinner and when we came back there were no car spots left, were told to park on the street. We decided to park along the driveway enterance of the hotel,(which was wide enough for two cars ) asked male staff member if that was ok .....he said no skin off my nose :-)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank banm2010
Dear banm2010,

There has been a large number of changes here and we have an excellent team of associates or team members. We are also now number 7 on tripadvisor so you can see the hotel has really improved. Please do have a look also at our web site.

In a resort location it is very typical for daily servicing not to occur for eco reasons and to keep guests room rates down. This is true with us and our competitors. However we do have a rate where it is included with a mini service (Corporate First Package rate from $149 per night) or it can be purchased for $30 a day. We now have clear instructions on the air conditioning and these are reguarly checked. With our studio rooms they are king doubles which are zipped and become a twin bed however with our suites these are just one king double. This spa is heated and maintained regularly. We have taken the spa out and I have put in a treadmill and looking at putting newer equipment in.