“Very small room, and too many rules...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Eden by the Bay

and 1 more site!
Eden by the Bay
Brisbane, Australia
“Very small room, and too many rules...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed here for one night for business, while the location was great and the room was very clean, it was very small, much smaller than I was expecting. Upon checking in the manager said that we should have booked direct rather than via Wotif, because we would have had a bigger room and it would have been cheaper. This makes absolutely no sense to me, I pay the booking fee to Wotif so if I pay a higher rate regardless of the origin of the booking it should be a bigger room.

In addition I don't like staying in hotels that have a lot of 'rules', there are signs everywhere telling you what you can and can't do, it makes me feel very unwelcome. There was also a list of rules handed to me when I checked in, the main rule I didn't like (that was highlighted heavily in pink) was having to take the rubbish out before I leave. As far as I am concerned if I am staying in a self contained room for a longer period of time this is fine, but overnight in a motel style room this is ridiculous. The price you pay for a room includes cleaning, which should include putting the rubbish out, why make paying guests do this?

My room balcony had a nice glimpse of the ocean but otherwise looked over the shops next door, and as others have said in other reviews there was an awful fish and chips smell. I didn't spend any time out on the balcony so this didn't bother me, but if someone did want to spend time on the balcony this would be very off putting.

Overall though the aircon worked, the room was clean and the bed was comfortable, so it served it's purpose but next time I travel to Hervey Bay for business I probably won't stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We're an italian couple in honey moon and we have found this hotel on the last minute. The price is quite high (195 AUD) but the whole Australia is very expansive.
Anyway the room was clean, with one bedroom and one dining room.
The location is perfect: on seaside at Hervey Bay downtown!
Unfortunately the price doesn't include breakfast and there's no breakfast service...but this is another difference between Europe hotel service and the Australian one!
The wifi was not for free, 16 AUD for 24 h.
I thought the "new world" was ages beyond Europe or even China, but concerning the hotel services they're ages below! (Also considering the high prices).
Dear Aussie hotel Managers, please go to China to understand better the hotels service quality and improve yours!!

• Stayed January 2013
Toowoomba, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed in a 'hotel room' in this apartment complex on the esplanade at Hervey Bay. Our room was clean and comfortable, with a walk-in robe which was great because it gave us a place to put the suitcase - we weren't falling all over it in the room as you usually do. There was also a small kitchenette with all the necessary crockery and cutlery. (No cooking, but there was a jug and toaster).
The managers were very helpful, pleasant and smiling.
Only problem was the smell from the fish and chip shop - but there is nothing the apartment owners or managers can do about that and as it was very hot the sliding doors were closed and the air conditioning on in any case.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the fish and chip shop extractor fan.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stay at Eden by the Bay every month when I travel for work. It's situated in a great location, handy to retail shops, restaurants, supermarket and directly opposite the beach. The apartments are well furnished and spacious and also has cooking and laundry facilities. The staff are friendly and always happy to recommend things to do and places to eat. I highly recommend the Eden by the Bay!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank alwaystravelling0
Gold Coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

I stay here for business regularly and find it a great place to stay. The location is perfect, accross from the beach, with several great cafes and restaurnats within a 2 minute walk.

The complex is modern and the rooms in good condition.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012 via mobile

We checked into a two bedroom apartment at a rate of $280 per night so expected something impressive, especially as their website says "luxury accommodation." Whilst the apartment interior was fine, it is ruined by the absolutely disgusting greasy stench coming from the fish and chip shop's exhaust fan that was right next to our balcony.
The odour was so disgusting it was impossible to use the balcony which was a key reason we booked this accommodation. (we paid extra for an ocean view).
Additionally we were unable to leave any windows open, so we didn't enjoy any of the fresh sea air we had been looking forward to.
In addition to the horrible odour problem, the apartment is furnished with sharp glass topped dining and coffee tables. On our first night our three year old daughter cut herself so badly on the coffee table she ended up in hospital. I would suggest safer furniture is put in place, especially as larger apartments usually cater for families.

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank 1180Bel
Gibraltar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

Lovely hotel in a perfect spot for exploring hervey bay. The hotel manager was extremely helpful as we needed a room at the last minute late at night. I would highly recommend it & will definitely stay again when I next visit hervey bay!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple