“On the main drag”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Australian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We ate at Black Dog on the recommendation of our accommodation host. We chose from the blackboard menu and were very pleased with our main courses – 2 different fish dishes (we were by the sea after all) with an interesting combination of flavours. Also chose a couple of desserts – good value. The only downside was that sitting outside we had a close up experience of the local ‘hoon’ vehicles.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Good choice of food and was not disappointed by the main course, we did go on and have pudding which was not as good, shame. Nice place with good, friendly service, happily altered the main course to have the sauce on the side for us.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Went there for lunch yesterday for the first time. The seafood crapé was to die for, one of the best I have had the pleasure of tasting! The calamari and scallops were tender and mouth watering. My girlfriend had a seafood salad, also a great dish. In the top three places to eat in Hervey Bay!
We will return...

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We recently stayed at Hervey Bay for a weekend and as we have been to "The Black Dog Cafe" once before (9 years ago), we fancied giving it another try, as the food back then was lovely and to our surprise it still is!!
We came to the restaurant 2 nights in a row, because the food on the first night was so good, even the kids menu was fresh and had some nice healthy items on it and the staff were so friendly and helpful.
Unfortunately the second night wasn't quite so good, we had a meal from the specials board on both nights, but chose something different each night and the Prawn and Chorizo Fettucini dish was not good at all, very bland, but the meal the night before was delicious.

Overall we had a nice time and the staff were great with the kids, so would definately go again.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I cannot rate the food as I was not given a chance to eat. I walked into the cafe at 1:50pm for lunch and was told straight away without a hello, that the kitchen was now closed and won't be open again until dinner. They didn't even ask if I wanted a coffee or anything else. Do you guys want my business? I won't bother going back