“Great!”

and up
Seal Swimming Tour from Kaikoura
Ranked #4 of 27 Tours in Kaikoura
More attraction details
Owner description: As Lonely Planet's 'Top Choice' for Kaikoura activities, swimming with New Zealand fur seals in the shallow bays of the beautiful Kaikoura Peninsula really is an experience that you don't want to miss. Tours take 2.5 hours and depart several times daily. No experience is necessary and all equipment is supplied. Many travellers site their seal swimming experience as a highlight of there New Zealand holiday. For more information contact us...
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Had a great time doing the seal swim, the staff were great and the seal were very friendly! Would highly recommend it!

1  Thank Bruce K

Reviewed January 25, 2013

As we got changed into our full wetsuits, feeling like the Michelin man and waddled down the main street to the bus I really wasn't sure what I was getting myself into. Yes, I had snorkelled before but in much warmer waters and not with seals, who had seemed quite grumpy when encountered on the shore the day before; would they be more friendly in the ocean? So we caught the bus, got on the boat, motored down the coast and jumped in the water. Water was cold but calm, wetsuits gave buoyancy and off we all floated looking for seals. I was so surprised when the first seal appeared from nowhere and swam below me and then another! Very exciting. There were more seals - though sometimes very hard to follow, but they did seem friendly and seemed comfortable swimming around us. After talking to others on the tour who had swum the day before and were returning for a second trip - we were obviously very lucky with the numbers of seals in the water - maybe 10 - 15 or more just before we left. Additionally, the very large octopus was a bonus! All the staff were v friendly. I would recommend the trip. Nice hot showers at the end too.

1  Thank sim_zlatko
Reviewed January 23, 2013

An opportunity to go and swim with seals around their rocky island homes. We saw about 5-6 seals on the trip although trying to keep up with them was a challenge. I was rather nervous of doing the seal swim but the skipper was very helpful and patient, giving me a board and coming in the water with me so that I saw the seals. Felt very much like a small family business - maybe could be improved with some additional interpretation on the boat rather than just on the bus to the boat.

3  Thank ali3smith
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to do this recently whilst travelling round NZ, and we are both so glad we did. The staff were great and worked hard to get the best out of our trip and although the sea was fairly rough they found some great calm areas for everyone. The seals are wild but amazing friendly and inquisitive and makes for a really fun swim. Highly recommend for travellers or family's.

1  Thank Jamie L
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We were due to swim with the seals, but on account of the unfavourable weather conditions, the company notified us and gave us the option to pull out and get a refund. The trip was still going ahead, but they couldn't guarantee the sort of interaction they would normally encounter. They were very honest and upfront, which was greatly appreciated. We look forward to trying again in the future.

1  Thank Cursions01