“Fantastic”

and up
Seal Swimming Tour from Kaikoura
Ranked #2 of 27 Tours in Kaikoura
More attraction details
Owner description: As Lonely Planet's 'Top Choice' for Kaikoura activities, swimming with New Zealand fur seals in the shallow bays of the beautiful Kaikoura Peninsula really is an experience that you don't want to miss. Tours take 2.5 hours and depart several times daily. No experience is necessary and all equipment is supplied. Many travellers site their seal swimming experience as a highlight of there New Zealand holiday. For more information contact us...
New Plymouth, New Zealand
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Fantastic”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Agree with all the other comments. Went as a family of four (kids 9 and 14) and we all loved it. Staff were friendly and knowledgeable, weather was beautiful and great close encounters with lots of seals. Would definately do again and recommend to others.

1 Thank angusgott

Port Isaac, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“If you only do one thing in Kaikoura... do this!”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We had our trip booked for the morning of Sunday 6th January. We were greeted by very friendly staff and were kitted out in all our gear and taken off to the boat. We were soon in the water and busy looking for seals. Unfortunately the sea conditions picked up very quickly so we had to come out of the water early. We were immediately offered a full refund or a free trip which I was amazed at! Even though we'd been unlucky with the weather, we quickly rebooked for the following day. I am so glad we did. The experience we had was amazing! Vanessa and Matt were so informative and had given us lots of great information about swimming with seals and how to behave around these beautiful animals. The whole experience is about working with the seals on their terms and enjoying a brief glimpse in to their magical world. Myself, my partner and my step-daughter had a fantastic trip. It was my step-daughters first ever time snorkelling and the staff were so encouraging with her that her confidence has been really boosted and she would love to do more snorkelling! If there was an excellent* rating I would give it.

1 Thank faye108
Christchurch, New Zealand
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Do this before leaving Kaikoura”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Some water confidence and snorkeling experience is helpful but not essential. We would have liked to see some more Seals in the water but this is out of the control of the operators. It is really neat to see them spinning and blowing bubbles as they swim by. If you have sensitive feet and are not used to walking on a rocky beach remember to bring a pair a sandals or water shoes as the walk from the bus to the boat can be a bit painful. Professional operation and run by very nice people.

1 Thank 2seals
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Outstanding - thanks!”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My partner and I had a wonderful experience with this activity. The staff were very friendly, patient and helpful although it is the busiest time of year for them. Getting the right gear was stress free - my partner was given a prescription mask to wear and getting the right sized wetsuit wasn't a problem. Vanessa was informative and fun on the quick drive down to the boat where we met Matt and Graeme who were both reassuring for us gumbies when getting in the boat and getting our gear right.

My partner is not hugely experienced at snorkelling which Matt quickly observed and helped with which meant I could concentrate on the main attraction. The seals were awesome and I had many face-to-face encounters with them - sometimes three at a time!!!

The trip back was also hassle-free where we enjoyed hot showers. Thanks for the experience with memories that will last me a lifetime :) The only advice I would give is to bring a disposable camera or waterproof one - which I forgot to organise and I didn't see any for sale.

1 Thank Kizza J
Sunderland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

A really well run and organised operation, we went on a day when there wasn't many seals in the water, the instructor was really patient and determined for us to see some seals so we travelled to another little beach about 20 mins away and managed to get in the water with a couple of seals one of them came right up to mask it was amazing. Wish I could have stayed in the water longer but it was Novemeber and it was freezing, the hot hose pipe to put in your wetsuit was much welcomed. The guys were really knowledgeable about the seals, the transport and boat was really clean and comfortable, definitely worth doing.

2 Thank Foleyfoley