“Great”

Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Kaikoura
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Our one night stay at Kaikoura Gateway Motor Lodge. We arrived at 12.30,a little too early. Returned at 2pm. The room was very spacious and spotlessly clean. Comfortable king size bed. Great shower/spa bath. Unfortunately the fridge had been turned off and my meat (chicken ) and milk were no longer edible. When I returned the key and checked out I told the host of my dilemma, he was very apologetic and reimbursed me for my spoilt food. I would recommend this motel. Would have loved to have used the pool,but the weather wasn't that warm.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Carole L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Hebrew first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Our stay at The Kaikoura Gateway Motor Lodge began with an easy check in at which time the owner upgraded us to a one bedroom free of charge. Nice!! The suite was spacious and well laid out with a well appointed kitchen and there was a walk out to a balcony with chairs and a table. The only downside was that it was next to the highway and there was some truck noise from time to time but it was quiet at night. The location was easy walking distance to town so we walked there to pick up dinner at a local fish and chip shop - blue cod grilled to perfection! Try the bbq shack down by the beach - we had crayfish (lobster) and scallops the next day - awesome!! Checked out seal beach and they studied us for quite a while! We stayed here for two nights and we wished we could have stayed longer but we had to head down to Christchurch the next day.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tomike49
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed our stay here and I would stay here again with my family. It was close to town and the rooms were nice, clean and modern. The staff was friendly. We did have parking even though it was a little cramped to get in and out. I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed March 2013
Palmerston North
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This was the word my wife said upon entering our room. I've satyed here before on my own but wanted my wife to experience it so we stopped for just a night on a return trip Christchurch to Picton. This has to be the best hotel in the town, but book early if you want to stay. We arrived later than expected at night but the room was warm and cosy and every chattel was to the highest standard.Thanks for another lovely stay Kaikoura Gateway you are still the best.
Mark Ann & Sarah.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Perfect place to stay whilst in Kaikoura. 4 minute walk to town. Close to attractions like the whale tour. 20 minute drive to Ohau waterfalls. Rooms lovely and clean . My room had a queen and a single. Self contained unit with all the utensils needed. Would recommend any one wanting to stay in Kaikoura to stay here. On main road but no noise was heard

Room Tip: If a light sleeper maybe ask for a room around the back as I heard nothing in my room. There is also...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Nice modern and spacious hotel. Walking distance to main town, situated on a main road but did not hear a thing. Other than the two dated televisions the stay was perfect for a family of four. Owner was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here several times over the last few months and each time we have stayed the staff have been friendly and happy to go out of their way to help, on the last two occasions we have stayed we have arrived late and the lights and heat pump have been turned on and curtains drawn... such a lovely feeling to arrive to after uve had a long day on road.
The rooms are very spacious in size and clean,spa baths are a great way to unwind and relax in, even though situated on the main road the noise has never bothered us and the beds are are just great always have a wonderful sleep here.
This is definitely worth a visit and is our main stay in Kaikoura when heading through to Picton or ChCh which we do on a regular basis. ..... We look forward to seeing you next time

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business