Kaikoura Gateway Motor Lodge
Sunrise Lodge(Kaikoura)
  • Beachfront
  • Beachfront
View Hotel
All reviewsspa baththe main roadmodern motelroad noiseclose to towngood sizegreat place to staywould definitely stay here againfull kitchenswimming poolwhale watchingshort walkbars and restaurantscouple of nightstwo bedroom apartmentfirst floorone night stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 9, 2013

very welcoming and helpful on sorting rooms to fit us in between christmas and new year at short notice, give them a ring its good to talk as they might sort this.
Good room size with comfortable beds and large spa baths.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Ben M
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights from 29/12/12 to 01/01/13 - Room 21

The studio unit had a simple kitchen, just enough for catering 2 people, which worked very well for us. There weren't variety of restaurants in Kaikoura, so it was good to cook breakfasts & dinners during the stay.
Bathroom was big with a corner spa bath. My sister loved using the bath nearly every night. And of course, the bath was very clean to use.
The unit was serviced everyday up to the standards - spotlessly cleaned.

The motel has a small swimming pool, which we did not use as it was occupied with children most of time. But if you are travelling with children, they will love the swimming pool. You can get pool towels from the reception too. The pool was very clean and well maintained too.

The motel is only 5 mins away on foot from the central city - very handy.
Although some of reviewers mentioned the traffic noise can be bad (the motel is on State Highway 1), I didn't notice it at all. I slept very well although I am a light sleeper.

Very basic motel, but the stay was enjoyable. The owner was very friendly.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed a night. Owner was friendly, and helpful.

Nice sized room, and nice and quiet. Spa room, was comfortable.

Gave us a late check-out, but a bit of a mis-understanding meant for a quick and sudden departure!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I spent a very pleasant night here on a road trip. The manager was extremely helpful in directing me to the best places for walking, and even though the motel is on the road, my bedroom wasn't, and so I slept very well.

My room felt as though it hadn't been used for a while, so the fridge was unplugged and smelling slightly, there was quite a lot of dust in the crockery, and there was some back flow from the drain in the toilet that rendered the "hygiene seal" (I do think those things are completely meaningless anyway) a bit of a false description. However, I got the impression that the place was generally very well run, and these were just minor quibbles. It would not prevent me staying there again.

The location is a little out of town, but only a couple of minutes' drive, and certainly walkable within fifteen to twenty minutes.

There is a pleasant swimming pool, though probably not big enough for serious lap swimmers, certainly big enough for me.

Room Tip: Make sure your bedroom does not back on to the main road.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Loved the easy walk into town, plus the excellent compendium in our room full of menus from local restaurants - made our decision easy! Also loved the spa bath in our room. Everything was clean and comfy. Also super quick wifi. Would definitely recommend.

Stayed: November 2012