“Really yummy pies”

Why Not Cafe
Ranked #18 of 58 Restaurants in Kaikoura
Cuisines: Cafe, New Zealand
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Melbourne, Australia
“Really yummy pies”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We wanted to save money on breakfast by grabbing some pastries and a takeaway coffee each. This place hit the spot with its delicious pies.

Visited September 2013

Newcastle, Australia
“lovely”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

it was nice to get here and be able to buy a great variety of food. Me and my son ate lunch than took back chicken pizza to heat up in the microwave. so worth it, it was delicious. Cakes and hotdogs just melt in your mouth. Whilst strolling down the main street be sure to call in for a coffee and maybe a bite to eat. Something for everyone , homemade and better than mcdonalds by far

Visited September 2013
Belleair, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great come back!”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We first visited the Why Not Cafe' in 1998 after reading a good review in the Lonely Planet. We really enjoyed the fresh food, coffee and warm service. A few years after our first visit to Kaikoura, we decided to purchase a vacation property in Kaikoura and the Why Not became one of favorite places for breakfast or lunch. Sadly, a few years back there was an ownership change and the overall quality began a slow but noticeable decline. We still would visit the cafe' but it had lost that caring touch we had come to appreciate. I visited the Why Not a few weeks back and was so pleased to see some changes...new, local ownership...a crisp new painted look...new tables & chairs...a sparkling new kitchen area...smiling faces serving fresh and good tasting food...Good on ya Danny and Wendy Smith!

Visited August 2013
Perth, Australia
“Best Seafood Chowder in town.....so the sign read”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Kaikoura is renound for its seafood. Kiakoura in part means crayfish. Signs for seafood chowder are abound all along the coast, so the sign on the footpath stated "Best seafood chowder"... With this statement I saw no reason to try the seafood chowder elsewhere.

It came in a good sized bowl. What do you expect with a seafood chowder.....crusty bread??? It came with a small mass produced white bread roll that had been microwaved to death. How hard is is to serve with some crusty bread?

The bowl was just a big serve of "GOOP" as my wife said. There was hardly any seafood to be found, in fact what there was plenty of was what we call seafood extender or crab sticks or processed seafood glued together with a red dye applied to look like crab. I'd say it was basically a bowl of fish stock, corn flour and cream. No seafood.

I was very disappointed!! You put a sign on the footpath saying BEST SEAFOOD CHOWDER then I expect you to deliver!!! You've made the claim.

Give this one a wide berth.....the rest of the menu? No comment I didn't try it.

As they in NZ sux (5+1=sux hey bro)

Sorry but this is an honest review, if you think I'm being hash read my other reviews and see that I'm honest. Give credit where credit is due!!

If you are the owner of this restaurant please tell me your secrecy recipe!!!

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank Melmain62
Nelson, NZ
“Brunch - mixed review”
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here for brunch having not read any reviews. The service was initially good, the staff efficient and the menu suitable. The coffees were fine. The French toast was enjoyed. However, the eggs benedict was disappointing. The eggs were solid, not runny and the sauce did not taste like Hollandaise. No one came back to ask if the meals were OK.
We would not go back for brunch but perhaps for a different meal.

• Visited July 2013