“Beautiful food and views”

Green Dolphin Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #9 of 61 Restaurants in Kaikoura
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Lovely relaxed restaurant with sea views. Attentive service. Came across a great wine....the Passage Rock chardonnay from Waiheke Island was delicious. Had the chowder to start, followed by the crayfish. Both cooked perfectly. Great company, views, wine and food.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,093)

Reviewed January 6, 2014

The food was delicious, but the service leaves a bit to be desired. Given the limited menu, it should not have been an issue.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I understand that we visited the restaurant on a busy evening but waiting well over 1 hour for food from a short menu is not what one should expect from so highly rated restaurant. The food was good but not excellent, service approached customers like they didn't care and the price was very high. Net, unless you have a lot of time to kill waiting for food choose other option. We liked very much The Piers which is 50 m from the Green Dolphin.

Looking for more tips on traveling through NZ with kids check my other posts. Helpful? Vote so.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I was in Kaikoura for a week or more and tried out several of the restaurants, Not only was this place value for money but both the food and atmosphere was a class above the rest for a very reasonable price, due to this it can get rather busy, still that is always a good sign when the place is packed. I would highly recommend this place for you evening meal.

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I visited this restaurant in Dec 2013 for a late supper. Our table was booked for 8 o clock however when we arrived we were not able to sit down for another 20 minutes. Our main courses took over an hour to arrive, during the wait we were not approached or kept informed about the delay, we complained and were given the "5 mins away" line. After 15 mins the food finally arived and was not great. Two of the dishes were the same, a tomato and lamb pasta dish, the sauce in this dish was unpleasant, very unpleasant and prompted us to complain again. The waiter informed us that 5 other people had complained about that same dish that night, my main concern is why they had kept serving it after complaints, not professional or safe. The handling of our complaints and comments was also not well done, the staff on the whole were polite and friendly but I would expect proactive damage control from a good wait staff. A free starter did not make up for a bad meal and a long wait.

The decor and general ambience of the restaurant were good, The menu while safe was acceptable. All things considered I think we caught the dolphin on a bad day, however, I cannot recommend an eatery that continues to serve food after multiple complaints and that would let diners sit for an hour unattended waiting for main courses.