“Receiving bad service is better than being ignored.”

Glenstrae Farm 4 Wheel Adventures
Ranked #10 of 28 Tours in Kaikoura
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
unknown
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Receiving bad service is better than being ignored.”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have to say that I have not joined this company on any of their tours because I could not contact them to make a booking. I do not know if mine was a one-off case based on the multiple awesome reviews that they have received thus far on tripadvisor.

I bought a voucher on a coupon site for a 4WD tour at a discounted price. Vouchers bought at coupon sites are usually promotions held by different restaurants/merchants etc and thus far I had not had trouble with any of the shops/tours that were having this type of promotions. It was stated that the minimum for the tour was 2. Having bought the voucher for one, I decided to drop Glenstrae an enquiry email on their website to find out when they were next bringing out a tour, so I could join the tour. No reply. Called their contact number on their website and was informed that there would not be any tour in the coming 2 weeks (as it was late winter and early spring, hence low season). I asked if they could inform me when there was a booking for a tour, as there was an expiry date for my voucher. It did not make sense for me to contact them every other day and surely there were the others who bought the voucher also needed to make bookings in order to use their vouchers? They said it was not possible and that I would have to check with them again. Fine.

A week later, I sent them another enquiry email to check if they were running any tours for the following weeks and as expected, still no reply. I called their contact number on their website, but was transferred to the voice mailbox instead. I then requested help from the coupon site to assist me in getting Glenstrae to contact me. To cut the long story short, I received no calls from Glenstrae regardless.

The lack of response to the enquiry emails that I sent showed how much Glenstrae values businesses brought by these coupon sites. It gives me the impression that because the payment has been done in advance, we can be ignored. Based on the good reviews on tripadvisor, I am also led to think that I was ignored because I bought the tour at a promotion price. If Glenstrae did not wish to provide any services on the promotion price, they should not have promoted their business on a coupon site. A business that IGNORES their clients because the prices paid for the tour was lower than the actual price is EXTREMELY UNPROFESSIONAL.

Whatever the reason, never again will I patronize them. Think twice before accepting a promotion from this company and always call if you need to contact them. I wouldn't waste my time dropping them any enquiries on their website. I would rather have gone on the tour and get bad service, than pay to get ignored.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank jayellearezee

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great adventure”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Driving into Kaikoura spotted quad bike adventures, meet friendly tour guide and booked for next day, turned up and got fitted out with jacket and gumboots, did a small course around yard before heading off into farm track, great to be out in the natural environment of the farm with cows and sheep, Alister our guide was great fun had a few laughs, Great views across the farm and got to see dolphins and seals,nice surprise stop half way through at the hut and had cuppa and snack then off again through the creek. Thanks Alister most enjoyable morning

Visited March 2013
Reading, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great afternoon with Alastair and Jonny”
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

There was just one other couple on our afternoon out with these great hosts. Safety briefing, a run around the yard to check we could handle the machines and we were off.

The 4x4 bikes were quite big and heavy which made them more stable than others we have been on but also meant you needed some strength to handle them.

We spent 2+ hours out with the two brothers, Alastair who lead us and Jonny who opened and closed gates with their two sheep dogs enjoying the ride on his quad.

Up the hills, down the slopes and through the creeks we had a great ride out, stopping for photos and to look at the views it was great fun riding through the cattle and sheep who were clearly used to moving out of the way!

Top time, great fun and good value. Everyone should have a go!

Red Lion, PA
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Worth Six Stars!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Four of us, in our 50s and 60s, did this tour in late January 2013 and it was one of my very favorite excursions. Alistair provided great instructions on operating the ATVs. Admittedly, I was quite nervous the first time I got on the vehicle, but after practicing how to start the vehicle and maneuver it, I felt confident to ride by myself on the 20 km ride. It was so much fun riding up through the hills amongst the cattle and sheep and then stopping to view the amazing scenery. We were able to go quite fast across the flat areas and we even rode through a creek! I'm still talking about this excursion and told my husband that I may have to consider swapping out the engine in my riding lawn mower so I can experience more of that ATV power. We highly recommend this tour if you are in the Kaikoura area.

Visited January 2013
California
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Great value, great time!”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

My husband and I are in our early 50's. We booked the 5pm Argo tour and really enjoyed it. It was just Alistair and the two of us. I had feared that we were "wimping out" by being riders and not renting the ATVs, but we were really more interested in the scenery and photo opportunities. This did not disappoint. It's a full 20km circuit through the pastures and out above Haumuri Bluffs. Stunning views of Kaikoura to the north and we could see the seal colony on the rocks below us. We sometimes got a wild ride and chased the flocks of sheep and calves (not intentionally, they were on the route and got out of the way). Alistar treated us to a light snack down by the creek. I thought this was a lot of bang for the buck and am a bit surprised this option isn't taken up and reviewed as much as the 4x4s. It was really worthwhile and I would recommend it to anybody.

Visited December 2012