“A wonderful, welcoming bed and breakfast”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kaikoura
Bay-view Homestay Kaikoura
Ranked #12 of 31 Kaikoura B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I had originally planned to stay one night at the Bay-view and had exchanged emails with Margaret via her daughter which made booking very easy. After the earthquake, I needed to stay an extra night and Margaret was very accommodating over this. She met me off the bus and took me back, proudly showing me her beautiful garden and very cozy home. She was an excellent host and the full cooked breakfasts were superb with everything imaginable and nearly all items either home grown or home made. The fresh eggs from her own hens and fruits straight off the trees were fantastic! The location of the homestay was ideal for me - up on the top of the pepninsula - so I took a walk down to the coast road on the first evening which was lovely. I was given a lift down to the whale watch which was great and then after that I walked the entire coast around the peninsula and across the fields back up to the property. Margaret also gave me a lift to the bus stop for my onward journey and I can honestly say that I was very happy to stay with her as she was so welcoming and friendly, not to say extremely energetic for a lady in her eighties! My room was very comfy and had a lovely view over the garden. I would love to go back.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Yosemite195

Reviewed April 2, 2011

Margaret was a great host, very welcoming, freshly cooked muffins with a cup of tea when we arrived. breakfast was plentiful, cooked ,cereal & fruit if you wanted it. Small outdoor pool if you wanted a dip. All in all a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2011

Arrived at Bayview on a cool, overcast and drizzly afternoon. Margaret and her daughter offered us a warm welcome and fired up the log burner in the guest lounge to keep us warm. Margaret was always on hand if we needed anything and her homemade muesli and bread made breakfast a very tasty experience! If you require good value accommodation in Kaikoura for a few nights then I can whole heartedly recommend Bayview!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tr0ut1
Reviewed January 14, 2011

A wonderful experience staying in Bayview. Both Margaret & Nicky were very friendly and helpful. Margaret also brought us to the lookout point on our arrival day which was absolutely beautiful!

She is a wonderful ambassor for Kaikoura, telling us about the town and sharing her life story with us. Her home is clean, comfortable and beautiful. This is the same home she stayed since a little girl.....a home filled with love and character. Check out the old organ in the living room - belonged to her grandmother!

Breakfast was heavenly -homemade bread, muesli and preserves. Fresh eggs, bacon and cereal too!

Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2011

This was the only disappointing B and B we stayed in on a month's trip to NZ. The welcome was cool, the accomodation very dated, and none of us slept at all well.. A shame as we had hoped for a cosy, family orientated stay. We felt that having 'thousands of guests over the years' had perhaps taken their toll...

Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank AliceG86
Reviewed December 5, 2010

The views are beautiful, Margaret at agae 83 is a gem who will inspire you, and you will enjoy the ocean views, flower garden, raised-bed vegetable gardens, and even the chickens who lay your breakfast eggs here. You don't stay at Bay-View for an opulent room, you stay because it is homey and comfortable and the people are wonderful. Margaret's daughter Nicky has come home to help with the B&B and she is a delight as well. The location is high on a hill above the town and thata's great because bustling Kaikoura has sort of outgrown itself. Before it was "discovered" as a place to go for whale watching, it was a quiet little town. It's still a worthwhile place to visit for the views of mountains and ocean juxtaposed, good hikes, and a coastal walk that is beautiful. Give our best to Margaret; she is memorable !!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2010

Having stayed at Bayview Homestay a year ago, I found the hospitality of Margaret to be both welcoming and warm. As a lone female traveller, I felt at ease the moment I arrived, and the term 'homestay' sums up the relaxed, personable experience, which surpassed all expectations. After spending 2 comfortable nights at Bayiew Homestay, I would thoroughly recommend this wonderful homestay accommodation to anyone! My parents are visiting me from UK, and asked me to forward their thanks and recommendations to Margaret and her family, who have made their 2 night stay in Kaikoura a memorable experience. Anyone wishing a relaxed, value for money, comfortable stay, with views to die for, and a caring host, could not find better.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple