“What an amazing place!”

Kaikoura Apartments
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Kaikoura
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed here to go whale watching the next day - with our two kids 12 and 9.
We only stayed one night and the only problem we had there is that none of us wanted to leave.

We checked in after an incredibly scenic drive down the rugged and remote coastline from Blenheim.

The manager - Damer really warmly welcomed us. He has a dry sense of humour and had a joke with the kids. The apartment was the most stylish and comfortable we stayed in in New Zealand by a long shot.

The most special thing though was the view (see photo) from our unit. Snow capped mountains meeting the sea under pink clouds.

As a bonus we saw a bunch of sperm whales and humpback whales the next day as well as a couple of seal colonies. The kids were in awe.

I'd never heard of this place before but it doesn't get much better than that.

Room Tip: They all seem to have a great view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed one night on route to Hanmer with my two boys, Jack 11 and Sam during their July school holidays. The personalised service from Liz the manager was so amazing and so appreciated. When we arrived Liz presented my boys with their own wee treat and on the door of our room was a lovely personalised message just for us. She even went out of her way to exchange one of the treats upon discovering Jack was 11 which she left much to Jack's surprise on our door. The amazingness did not stop there as we discovered another wrapped gift addressed to a dad and his special sons. This made the kids feel so special (not to mention me whose status had been elevated to Super Dad).

The apartments are impeccably presented and very well equipped. Everything was so clean and nice with everything you could want in a self contained unit.

Liz gave us some useful family dinner recommendations and provided us with towels for our after dinner Spa.

We are coming back through Kaikoura in a week's time and we all want to try and stay here if we can. Better try and get my booking in!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tim R
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Great place to stay for 2 couples travelling together. We had a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom appartments. Worked out real value for money especially if you stay 3 nights. Staff were very helpful and the appartments was great. Kaikoura is the best kept secret in NZ.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I am known as a "frugal" man. Some might even say "cheap". There have been times when I squeezed a five dollar bill so tightly that Sir Ed started gasping for air. But it was my anniversary and the wife does not always share my peccadillo regarding expenses. I choose Kaikoura for a 2 night holiday complete with golf and whale watching. My faithful friend, TripAdvisor told me the #1 place to stay was Waves on Esplanade. I phoned up expecting it to be overpriced. But after talking with the delightful manager, Liz, I opted for a romantic 2 bedroom unit for three nights and found it was well within my budget. The pictures on the website do not really show the beauty and luxury of the rooms.
The location is perfect, right on the main street just a short walk to the village. The view from nearly everywhere in the apartment looks out to sea with snow covered mountains on the left. There is a lovely private deck from which one can hear the soothing sound of the waves. Yet with the sliding glass door closed, the place was totally soundproof of rare street noise.
Inside, the rooms are vast and marvellously decorated with comfortable furniture. We spent part of our evenings watching free movies on SKY movie channel but Liz also offered over 100 DVDs.
Our unit, #8 had 2 complete bathrooms. This proved to be a huge benefit as the little lady travels with a plethora of bottles and cotton balls and who knows what for who knows why. So I had a bathroom all to myself. Mine even had a washer and dryer which we actually used.
I have saved the kitchen for last. This was a complete classy space with everything one could possibly need. The beautiful kitchen simply invited us to use it, so we went to the nearby grocery store and purchased all the food and drink we would need for our holiday. Did I mention the automatic dishwasher and the garbage disposal?
Add covered parking, free Wi-Fi, kayaks, bikes, ping pong, spa pool, and it was hard to leave the premises.
If that's not enough, the best ingredient was Liz, the manager. She knew it was our anniversary and left flowers and gifts for us in the room. She has an hilarious personality and is really quite a character and I mean that is a good way.
Crayfish is ridiculously costly in New Zealand and even in Kaikoura, where they are as plentiful as sand-flies in Fiord land, they are way overpriced. Somehow, Liz produced, as a gift from her freezer, 2 large crustaceans. We gobbled them down in a home made pasta Alfredo.
I am writing this on our last evening at the Waves, wishing we has another night.
Look nowhere else. Make your reservation here. It is so worth it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank skytime
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Had a unexpected stay at the waves, as our trVel plans changed. The weather was terrible with the howling wind and torrential rain, but the apartment was lovely, among the best we have stayed at to date. Room was lovely and warm when we arrived, as the heat pump had been turned on for us, everything one could want was supplied, and the furnishing lovely. The manager turned out to be an school teacher of mine from years ago, and he also the photographer from my first marriage. But man I wish I'd had a camera for when he saw who I was. Lol. His words, well you'd be a blast form the past. The power went out twice from the weather, but we were brought a candle which made the ambience even cozier. All in all a great place to stay. Looking forward to catching up with you again Damer when we come back to stay in August.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Judesmail
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We were in the middle of a 3 week trip and wanted spacious lodging with a view--and this totally fit the bill. We had 2 bedrooms and 2 baths, with laundry facilities, perfect break for a long trip. Large rooms, nicely appointed, quiet, walking distance to many restaurants, easy parking--and a balcony with a lovely view of the water. We stopped at local grocery and had many meals en suite (as you will learn, restaurants are very pricey in NZ). Really could not have asked for more--highly recommend!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at Waves. We live in the North Island and called on spec whilst driving through Kaikora. We were made to feel most welcome by the resident hosts and shown a choice of apartments without further delay. We chose an apartment on the 3rd level. The unit was without doubt one of the cleanest most well fitted out and luxurious apartments we have ever stayed in. Even our own personal laundry! Our hosts were a rare breed seldom found in this day and age, they had exceptionally high standards in every respect and went the extra mile as part of their normal working day. Kaikoura is a beautifull place and The Waves apartments were AAAAAAAA+++++++++, IN ALL A SUPERB BREAK AND WITHOUT DOUBT WE WILL RETURN. Other hosts would do well to learn from the Waves team, or maybe it's best for us if they don't then there will still be accomodation for us next time. Russell & Moraig Brierley, TAUPO, NZ.

Room Tip: We stayed in apartment 11 which was a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom very luxurious seafacing unit with a good...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple