“Great setting, ok food, strange service”
Review of The Hog and Pheasant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Hog and Pheasant
“Great setting, ok food, strange service”
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

If I am hungry near Kaikoura I will choose this place again because the setting can't be beaten and I thought the food was good value. The menu is limited and my choice was not available, so I had an all day breakfast (nice). My companion had grilled fish and chips - the chips were not crispy, but also not greasy. The salad was tasty and generous. It was good value.

The service was unusual. The guy in charge was being a bit of a smart-aleck and, in spite of it being fairly quiet, chose to chat with his friends outside rather than wipe our table or clear crockery from other vacated tables.

lancashire, uk
“Great location, food and hosts”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

On the right hand side of state highway 1 as you drive from Kaikoura towards Christchurch is The Hog and Pheasant. A really lovely cafe bar, the beers are good and the steaks and sea food are wonderful. Allan and Susan keep a good place and cook a mean steak, straight from the rib. They will show you that it's not frozen processed rubbish. The bar looks straight out to sea. Fantastic location, Allan even took us back to our camp site when the rain came in. Fond memories. Thanks

• Visited November 2012