“Cool and tasty”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

Loved the vibes , the bar team are easy going and you feel like in your home lounge.
The mussels are amazing , the special steak really good.
Prices really fair.

Great beer plus great evening here.
Good choice. Very recommended.

There are newer reviews for The Whaler

Reviewed February 14, 2014

My wife liked the mussels, and our children enjoyed the fish. My calamari was nothing special. Nothing great, but enjoyable food and a nice atmosphere. Pretty reasonably priced for NZ

Reviewed February 8, 2014

I ate two times there. Both where delicious. The salmon was very good and also the steak. The staff was very friendly and you get all kinds of good beer.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

After checking out the menus in most of the eateries in Kaikoura we decided to try "The "Whaler".
The food was perfect and the staff were friendly. Compared to other places in Kaikoura the food prices were also what I consider to be normal. Some places seem to have overdone the costs as you would find in Queenstown. I recommend you try out the mussels and the ribs :)

1  Thank Karen B
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Had a meal for 2 adults and 2 kids on a Tuesday night. Kids had chicken nuggets - very average, deep fried supermarket nuggets, I had the fish and chips - almost stone cold, soggy batter and hubby had the porterhouse - cheap and ok. Very expensive for very average food really. Girl who served us was very nice, no complaints, but the dragon who I can only assume was the duty manager was awful. Obnoxious and beyond rude. When we questioned the garlic sauce, she snapped rudely at us and stomped off. When I went to the bar to pay, she even went so far as to give me a dirty look. I think she seriously needs a holiday, some training, or both. Not a nice person at all to have customer facing. Would not go back because of her and the food.