“Best cafe by the sea in Kaikoura”
Review of Cafe Encounter

Cafe Encounter
Ranked #6 of 59 Restaurants in Kaikoura
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cafe open 0700 to 1700 does breakfasts, lunches afternoon teas. Phone 033196777
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Outstanding service, friendly face, yummy coffee and great company and the views across the bay are outstanding - good shopping too!

Reviewed May 16, 2013

We had a very nice Breakfast and the friendly staff made it all that much more enjoyable. It was a beautiful day so we sat down by the beach and enjoyed the great view while we ate.

Cafe-Encounter1, Front Office Manager at Cafe Encounter, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Thank you for your review. Great to hear you visited us on a lovely day to make the most of our great view! We are really spoilt here and love that we can share it with our guests! We do hop we can welcome you back sometime! :-)

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Before we went on the dolphin watch tour we had breakfast at cafe Encounter, I had the muesli and I think they make the loveliest muesli in the world!!! MMMMM
My family had the eggs benedict and salmon bagel, they looked a little bit lean but still were very tasty. We definitely will return here!! We love Kaikoura!!

Hi there and thank you so much for your review! Awesome to hear that about our museli! :-)

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back next visit!

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I visited the Encounter café for lunch and ordered a tuna focaccia ($14.80NZD). When it arrived I thought that the other half had already been eaten or was hiding under the side salad, unfortunately not. This portion size might have passed for a child's portion but not for this price! A nearby elderly couple who also ordered the same were equally shocked. The biggest shame was that the sandwich was nice and my wife's soup was fine although expensive. I was still hungry when I left and felt ripped off which was the only time during a two week NZ south island holiday. I can only hope that the money for my sandwich at least contributes towards the preservation of Kaikoura vulnerable species such as the Wandering Albatross and increased awareness for the much needed marine protection for the area through the "Encounter Foundation". There is better value for money in town.

We were so disappointed to read your review and are sorry that you felt dissatisfied with your order. We really appreciate your taking the time to share your comments and take feedback like this very seriously. We had identified that the portion size for the Focaccia needed to be increased and this has already been actionned; sadly this action was clearly after your visit to us. We are pleased to read that the taste was good! We were surprised to read your comments on the soup as generally we receive great feedback on our regularly changing soup selection, and we offer a very generous portion in a huge bowl which our research shows us is competitively priced.

We work very hard to ensure great service and value for money, so the last thing we want is for a customer to feel ‘ripped off’ and we would certainly like to reimburse you for the Focaccia by way of apology and would appreciate it if you could contact me on 0800 733 365/+64 3 319 6777 ext:0 or email me helene@dolphin.co.nz in order that I can action that for you.

Latterly, we really liked your comments about the Encounter Foundation, and whilst every one of our tour fares makes a contribution to the Foundation our café revenue does not at this stage, but this is certainly something the partners will consider. Meanwhile, should we not hear from you within the next month regarding reimbursement we will donate the refund to the Foundation for you, as a start on your great idea, with thanks!

Best regards, Helene & the Encounter Café & Kitchen Team.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Great place to have breakfast or lunch. And a great view of the ocean. And the Iced Chocolate is really good.

Hi and thank you for your review we really appreciate you making the time to do that! Mmmmmmmmm iced chocolate....now there's an idea! Yum! :-)