“Delicious food!”
Review of Cafe Encounter

Cafe Encounter
Ranked #8 of 58 Restaurants in Kaikoura
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cafe open 0700 to 1700 does breakfasts, lunches afternoon teas. Phone 033196777
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Delicious food!”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Great place to have breakfast or lunch. And a great view of the ocean. And the Iced Chocolate is really good.

Visited April 2013
Cafe-Encounter1, Front Office Manager at Cafe Encounter, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Hi and thank you for your review we really appreciate you making the time to do that! Mmmmmmmmm iced chocolate....now there's an idea! Yum! :-)

• Korean first
Wellington, New Zealand
“Bacon was dry - Big Breakfast Boring - Pastries and other items were great”
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

We ordered a selection from the menu. The worse breakfast I had in a long time was here. Bacon was so dry we actually asked if it was microwaved. Mushroom, Tomato and hash brown were boring, scrambled eggs were pretty good but overall it was unpleasant. Just lucky someone had ordered the berry crepes which were great and the croissant with Jam and Cream was also lovely. The pot of tea was great. Staff didn't come to check if everything was ok so we called someone over as they passed. There was a discussion in the kitchen before we were offered free coffees to make up for it which wasn't really enough considering two of our three breakfasts were Big Breakfasts. This is not acceptable. The Breakfast was expensive (nearly $20) and free coffees (when were drinking tea and had plenty left) was not a suitable option. It takes a lot to actually tell staff there is a problem due to reactions and I think the chef should have taken this more seriously when we complained. I said instead of the coffees I would take a muffin for later. We should have been offered a refund in this case. It really wasn't pleasant. I heard two americans ordering the same thing when I was eating and thought I would ask how theirs was on the way out. They also said the bacon was dry .... I told them to make sure they told them so they were aware of the continued problem but not sure if they did. My advice - stick to the fresh cakes and pastries or try the crepes or maybe head south to Mainline Station Cafe at Cheviot or North to Manhatten Cafe in Blenheim.

Visited April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a your review, we really value your feedback. We are very sorry that part of your breakfast order was not to the standard we normally pride ourselves on. Regrettably around time of your visit we had received some similar feedback from other clients regarding the bacon, we have never had issue with our bacon before, so we discussed the feedback with our supplier immediately and withdrew the affected batch from service. This matter has now been rectified and on checking with our regulars, I am glad to report that our bacon is back to standard!
I agree with you with regard to the restitution offered in this case, it was not appropriate and I apologise for this. It is also most unusual as we work hard to ensure the best customer service and our policy would be to refund in a situation such as this. I would really like to rectify this matter with you and would appreciate it if you could contact me on 0800 733 365/+64 3 319 6777 ext:0 or email me helene@dolphin.co.nz in order that I can action that refund for you.
We are most encouraged to read that you felt the other dishes in your order were lovely and we do hope that you will return to us should you be in Kaikoura again!
With thanks and best regards from Helene & the Encounter Café & Kitchen Team.
Knoxville, Tennessee
“GOOD FOOD”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The Encounter Cafe was great. We had breakfast there in the morning. Yummy croissants and chocolate swirl cheesecake. The flat white and the mochaccino were both outstanding. Very friendly staff. Free wifi with purchase.

• Visited April 2013
Thank you for posting your review, we really appreciate it! So glad that you enjoyed your visiti to us! The chocolate swirl cheesecake is one of my favourites too! :-)
Taupo
“great food”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Magnificent location opposite the sea front, open air seating if you desire, really good service. What really caps this place off though is the selection and quality of food.

Visited April 2013
Thank you so much for posting your review. We are spoilt here in this wonderful location aren't we! We are delighted you enjoyed your visit and do hope we can welcome you back someday! :-)
Sunshine Coast, Qld
“Lovely views”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We had breakfast here and sat outside in the sun and had the added bonus of a dolphin show as they were leaping from the water straight across the road. The service was good and there was wi-fi supplied to a certain value with our meals.

Visited April 2013
Thank you for posting your review we appreciate it and what a treat to see dolphins whilst you dined! :-)