“An Incredible Journey”

Maori Tours Kaikoura
Ranked #12 of 27 Tours in Kaikoura
More attraction details
Owner description: A real insight into Maori people and our way of life. Join our family for a half day tour that combines stories of our ancestors, laughter and learning with weaving and a bushwalk to discover how we use plants. Throughout the journey you'll be involved and you can ask questions about the things you really want to know about. Awarded Best Cultural Experience in NZ 4 times following traveller reviews - Let us show you why.
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We can't say enough good things about Maurice and his Maori Tour in Kaikoura; this tour is a must-see for anyone looking to experience the native Maori culture on NZ's South Island! Maori Tours proved helpful and flexible from the first time we called, helping us schedule an appropriate day/time, describing what to expect, and even picking my wife and I up from our hotel the day of. The tour itself was a total departure from the large-scale tourist-machine "culture tour" you see other places and instead was an intimate journey around sacred and special Maori locations in Kaikoura. Maurice's familiarity with 800 years of Maori history and culture was more than enough to answer our group's multitude of questions, and his preparedness for any situation made a flash rain-storm mid-tour a non-issue when he provided everyone umbrellas, hot tea, and snacks! My wife and I lean toward adventure and excitement on our vacations, and our choosing to tour with Maori Tour was a bit of an afterthought. BUT, after seeing how professional and personal Maurice and his Wife were (the tour is a two-person business!), we absolutely had to recommend it to others. Expect a 3.5 hour outing with a private van and a group of 10 or less. We spent no more than 1 hour driving from place to place. The vast majority of our time was spent at scenic historic locations and on a stunning walk (easy graveled walk, about 1km) of a nearby medicinal forest. Thank you to Maori Tours Kaikoura for helping to make our NZ vacation more than memorable!

Kaikkiwi, Owner at Maori Tours Kaikoura, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

Thanks for the great review - we had a good time too!! It was wonderful spending time with you guys and looking at the similarities - what a mix of cultures Navaho, Irish, Mexican, Venezuelan, Maori and Scottish. Take care and keep in touch!!!

Reviewed February 6, 2012

We traveled as a family with two adults and two 9year old girls.
Maurice and Helen did a fantastic job, showing us around Kaikoura.

We learned that much about the history and Maori culture that day, we learned a song, got all new Maori names with different meaning (and wow, they fit our personalities), got some amazing afternoon tea at their home, learned how to weave flax flowers, went on a native bush walks to learn about Maori medicine and played games.

The tour was amazing, well worth its money and suitable for all age groups.
Thanks so much guys!!!

Kaikkiwi, Owner at Maori Tours Kaikoura, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2012

Lovely feedback thanks heaps!!! We thoroughly enjoyed meeting you and Katrine - and the girls were great little weavers - Maurice was impressed. Take care and hope our paths cross again sometime soon.

Reviewed January 8, 2012

I have been to the South Island of NZ several times, as I have Family in Timaru. Going on "Tour" is normally far from my mind as I like to do my own thing. My partner Rose was however with me for her first Overseas trip and this Maori Tour was something she really wanted to do, so I agreed.
I am so glad i did, the hospitality and knowledge shared by Maurice and Heather was second to none. I enjoyed the music, cultural exchange, immersion in nature and meeting with a small group of like minded people on the tour.
A day later sitting on the beach north of Kaikoura my experience was the inspiration for a new song. I am a singer song writer with a love of the Uke & the blues. The result was "Kaikoura Summer" a little melody to share the beauty and culture of this place with others. I highly recommend this tour to anyone who wants to understand the real NZ.
Thank you Maurice & Heather, I look forward to sharing this song with you one day again soon !

Kaikkiwi, Owner at Maori Tours Kaikoura, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2012

Thanks for this great feedback - and can't wait to hear your waiata (song). You can email us at info@maoritours.co.nz with the file or YouTube link:)

Reviewed December 31, 2011

We had a small group (4) on this cold, windy, wet morning; but the hospitality of Maurice and Heather more than made up for the weather. Maurice shared customs, history, and religious/cultural aspects of the Maori people. It was an intimate, personal experience. We visited several sites meaningful to these people and their history. We were welcomed into their home and met Heather who had delicious snacks and tea for us. We wove some flax and were given a gift by our hostess before continuing the tour. We drove out of the city to a wooded area where some 800 year old trees are growing. Maurice found a newly sprouted tree and returned later to build a protective barrier around it to preserve its life and growth. Great caretakers of our planet. Very worthwhile and meaningful tour. Dress for the weather and walk which may be wet! Cameras are a must!

We sure appreciate your review - thanks for taking the time to post it. And great tip about the camera!!!

Reviewed December 4, 2011

Maurice, Heather and Karen gave us a really special afternoon to remember. The small group meant a very personal experience, learning about Maori history, culture, and rituals as well as understanding today's culture and lifestyles. The afternoon tea was a wonderful surprise and much more than just refreshments. A contrast from the more touristy Maori expereinces availble elsewhere. A must do. Thank you for wonderful memories.

Hi Keith and Sue - just spotted your review and wanted to thank you guys; sorry its taken so long. We enjoyed spending time with you and will definately get in touch if we head to London. Thanks again - arohanui Heather.