“Great Fish”
Review of Tuti's Restaurant and Bar - CLOSED

Tuti's Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: Seafood, New Zealand, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Family owned and operated new build restaurant with a comfortable and attractive interior. One of provincial New Zealand's best equipped and hygienic kitchens serving the freshest of local seafood's and local farm produce to a consistently high standard. All fish served in this restaurant is purchased direct from the fishermen and filleted in house, with preference given to line caught fish.
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We had 2 fish dishes and my husband still can't stop raving about the Whole Flounder.
Service was fine and the prices just like very where else. We would go back just for the Flounder, Yum!

1  Thank Neish

Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Dined on a Friday evening, very busy but was lucky to get a free table only after waiting 5 minutes. The waitress was sweet and took the time to explain some of the dishes to us. They had a mix choice of Indonesian dishes and kiwi cuisine. We shared the indo prawn curry and chilli mussles, both were delicious and presented beautifully. Nice selection of NZ wine but would've liked to see more choices of aromatics.

Great place, I think it must be one of the newer establishments in town, well done, will highly recommended.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We ate here having no real idea of what to expect - but we were pleasantly surprised. My husband had a local fish - Wakaku(?) which we had not heard of, being from the UK. I had shrimp satay kebabs. Both were delicious.

We found our waitress to be most helpful and happy to chat.

Shame we were moving on the next day!

Tutisrestaurant, Manager at Tuti's Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Hello and thanks for the review, the fish was probably Hapuku (New Zealand Groper) or if it did begin with W then it might have been Warehau.
Hope you enjoy your holiday.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Whilst in Kaikoura, we thought that we would try this restaurant, as their menu had a promising selection of dishes, including those influenced by Indonesian cuisine.

We were both very disappointed by our meals.

My husband is very fond of curries and frequently makes his own at home. However, he didn’t enjoy the lamb curry that he ordered as a main course. The curry was simply a mixture of pieces of meat in a sauce that was probably commercial. There had been no attempt to make a proper curry sauce from spices and vegetables, as a curry should be made. The sauce was just a liquid in which to include the meat and it became very boring to eat. There were no attempt to add texture to the dish apart from the rice and a few bits of salad. He couldn’t even finish the meal as he found eating it so mechanical and monotonous. It’s the first time I have ever seen my husband not finish a curry.

I chose the dish of the day, which was a local white fish in a sweet and sour sauce. It suffered from the same problems. When the plate arrived I was appalled. The fish was totally enrobed in a mixture of pieces of vegetables in a sticky, uniform red sauce. Did the chef actually know how to make a sweet and sour sauce, I had to ask myself? My solution was to scrape all the ‘sauce’ off the fish and just eat that. The fish was delicious all by itself. How could they ruin such good basic ingredients, the lamb and the white fish, with such awful sauces? Good basic ingredients should be enhanced by good sauces, not ruined by bad attempts at sauces. There is clearly a lack of experience and expertise in the kitchen.

This was one of the worst meals that we had had in a very long time.

1  Thank CindyAnn37
Tutisrestaurant, Owner at Tuti's Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

You appear to have no idea on what the ingredients are in a curry, it so happens that we purchase whole spices then toast and grind them ourselves, we have literally thousands of customer's that repeatedly order that particular curry and who are very happy with it.
The sweet and sour fish dish is pictured on this website as well as Facebook and is also very popular with our customers, we sell a variety of fresh fish which is either oven baked or pan fried and is served with different sauces usually on the side. Sweet and sour whole fish is usually presented this way all over the world.
My daughter Amanda served you and asked you during your meal if everything was alright, you both said yes but on payment of the bill you attempted to get a 50% discount because of the sauce on the fish wasn't to your liking, as you say you left most of the sauce but your husband had a clean plate. Amanda insisted on payment in full but due to your reaction gave a 10% discount which you clearly were not happy about so we presume you retaliated with the worst possible rating in your review.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

A group of 4 had a great meal at Tuti's. We had the squid for starter and it was the best squid that I had eaten in years. Three of us had three different curries and the other had the john dory for mains. All 4 dishes were very large (which I was happy about :)) and very tasty.

I definitely think that there's something for everyone here and a very reasonable price.