“A very pleasant stay”

Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Kaikoura
Melbourne, Australia
“A very pleasant stay”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

A very pretty hotel in a great beachfront location. A short walk to the central part of town. Friendly owners and newly decorated rooms with very comfy beds. Slightly pricey but overall a very pleasant stay

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Rooms are small. Beds are small. Shower was terrible because no pressure. I could not sleep because walls dont keep sound of next door person out. I could hear person in toilet and the movies until 4am. Food gave me sore stomach. When we complain the man laugh at us. Owner said our complaint not legitimate. We pay $175. Should be around $90 for the standard.

Room Tip: Any of the motels along same street have more reasonable price.
5 Thank Xiaobin F
Robyn S, Owner at Kaikoura Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
As I said to your partner in the previous review, we are so very sorry you were unhappy with your visit to our hotel. Kind regards, Robyn and Peter.
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We were looking for something a bit special for an overnight stay in Kaikoura as it was my partner's birthday. This place has a very slick website. The photos and description on booking.com made the place look amazing and led us to believe that we had found what we were looking for.
Our first gripe is that our booking had been printed out on sheets of A4 paper before we arrived and after we checked in, our personal details (home address and credit card etc) were left on the reception desk in full view of anyone wanting to see.
The room was clean and newly decorated but that's all I can say that was good about it. Our "superior" room was actually in a relocatable portaco in the back yard. There was no "fabulous view of the magnificent Kaikoura coastline", just a view of the back of another room. There were no privacy curtains so the first thing we did was close the drape. There was only one.
The room was small with an unusually large bathroom. The linoleum reminded me of a hospital bathroom and the electric caravan shower provided a trickle of pressure which reduced as I increased the temperature. Seriously, I spent 15 minutes trying to get wet, rinse off the soap and emerged cold and shivering.
After being seated in the dining room we had to move due to a freezing breeze coming from behind the curtain. The food was average. My fish was well cooked but ruined with a super salty seasoning which was possibly high in MSG and left me with an unquenchable thirst. My partner had the duck which was dry, served over kidney beans and boiled spinach. We ate most of it however because we were starving. We were overwhelmed by the babble coming from a very loud table of six who seemed quite drunk and who's conversation was limited to cars, driving cars drunk, fatal car crashes with graphic details and toilet humour.
Stuck in our claustrophobic room we were unable to sleep in our tiny bed because of the noise coming from the room next door, not that the occupant was making a lot of noise. We could hear the poor woman toileting as if she was in our wardrobe as well as every word coming from the movie she was watching on her laptop. We could even hear her scratching in the night. The description on booking.com said the room had soundproofing!
As we checked out we complained about the poor night's sleep, the lack of soundproofing, the misleading advertising and the size of the room. The man laughed off our concerns saying: "most people actually give us compliments, especially about the quality of the beds". He told us that there was soundproofing; that there were bats in the walls.
We then had to ask for our change. No receipts were given for either the meal or the accommodation.
I am sorry to have to write this review. I'm not trying to be mean. The staff were friendly and I can see the effort that has gone into preserving the historic building, it's just a shame were were not able to stay in it. We were disappointed because we paid more expecting something better than average but we got pseudo quality provided on a shoestring budget.

Room Tip: Ask for room that matches the wonderful description... if there is one.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank TKXB
Robyn S, Owner at Kaikoura Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
We are so very sorry you were so disappointed when you stayed with us and have amended our advertising accordingly. All the best, Robyn and Peter.
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

The name Boutique Hotel suggests certain standards of facilities that were not met on our two night stay. The courtyard rooms are small, although the ensuite area is disproportionately spacious. The bed was comfortable, but there was little room to move around, only one chair, and no room for luggage - we had to put ours in the bathroom - access to a tiny wardrobe was almost impossible. Tripadvisor reviews and the hotel's own website proclaimed complimentary canapes which were not available during our stay, but worse was to follow - when we enquired about breakfast we were referred to a cafe about 300 metres from the hotel!! On the positive side the operators of the restaurant - Maxtons - are excellent and the meal we had was first class - we were the only customers and indeed the only hotel guests, which gave the place a rather sad feel to it. The location is good, being half way between the pier and the town, but Kaikoura is a long ribbon like town and the station and other facilities are quite a long walk. The location is ideal as a starting point for accessing the peninsular walk via Tom's track at the end of the side street, Brighton Road. In fairness, and recognising our disappointment, a rate reduction was negotiated.

Room Tip: Rooms in the old building are being re-furbished and are probably larger than the courtyard rooms
4 Thank malcsaville
Robyn S, Owner at Kaikoura Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
We are very sorry you were disappointed with our hotel on your visit to NZ. As we found a lack of demand for the complimentary drinks and canapes, we do not offer them any more, and have adjusted our website and the third party websites accordingly. Kaikoura is a delightful, sleepy little town in the off-season and consequently we do not offer breakfast over the winter. Our delicious continental breakfast will be available from mid December throughout the summer season. Kind regards, Robyn.
London
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We had a wonderful stay here for one night. Very welcoming people and the hotel is in a fantastic location for accessing the main town as well as the lovely restaurant and pub at the quieter end of Kaikoura. We were pleasantly suprised to be upgraded on our arrival and shown to our room which had views out to sea and an outside table and chairs to sit at to drink wine and watch the world go by. Our hosts were fantastic and gave us lots of good suggestions for places to eat. Having been to Kaikoura before, it was good to try new places.
The bed was very comfortable with lovely sheets and linen and there were tea and coffee provided as well as a very reasonably priced mini bar. Overall we had a lovely stay and I will definitely be staying there again on my next visit and can't wait to try out the bar and restaurant when they are completed.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank cafra23
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We booked this part of a scenic rail package and didn't have any idea about the hotel. We were greeted by name from the train and shuttled to the hotel. Greeted very warmly by Robyn the manager. Our room was smallish but beautifully appointed with the most comfortable bed you could wish for. Robyn was genuinely interested in our travel plans and was quick to help us find a route to our next estimation online, very efficient!! I doubt the same service would be seen in the north island! I'm actually writing the review in bed and I don't want to get up! Free wifi, glorious scenery ( I'm well traveled and it's the best I've seen) make this a no brainier for anyone traveling to or through Kaikoura.Well done KBH!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 5, 2012

This was the best place I stayed at on my trip around the South Island. Peter is a very friendly and welcoming host, he had turned the heater on in the room so it was warm when I arrived (it gets cold in Kaikoura in July!) and the room was always warm and cosy throughout my three night stay. The room has been beautifully renovated and the bed was extremely comfortable, like a 5 star resort bed. It is in a good position on the Esplanade a short walk back to the shops or in the other direction to the pier and onto the seal colony. The sitting room with the comfortable armchairs overlooking the bay was a great place to have a pre-dinner drink and Peter advised of the great value winter specials at the excellent Green Dolphin restaurant near the pier. Make sure you ask Peter for instructions to get to the waterfall where the baby seals play during the winter months a bit up the coast - highlight of my trip! Finally, I mistakenly left my i-phone charger in the wall, and just as I boarded the train there was a knock on the window and there was Peter with it in his hand - he found it in the room and raced to the station to return it to me before the train headed off - now that's what I call Kiwi hospitality! Thanks very much for that Peter and for the wonderful stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo