“The most wonderful mussels and venison”

Hislops Wholefood Cafe
Ranked #9 of 58 Restaurants in Kaikoura
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Christchurch, New Zealand
“The most wonderful mussels and venison”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We were in Kaikoura for a long weekend and made a booking for a special dinner at Hislops. When we arrived, we had a wonderful table by the window and were quickly attended to. We ordered 500gm of mussels to share between us as an entree and after we had eaten them all, we wished we had ordered the 1kg, as they were so super delicious. As our main we both had venison, which was cooked to perfection and was delightfully tender. The delish parsip puree and accompanying plum sauce was a divine pairing with the venison. Next time we are in Kaikoura, we will definitely be back again and telling our friends about it.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank magellanic76

SEA
“Eat here”
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Great local food! Skip the Asian food in this town and come straight to Hislops for your meal. Delicious organic food cooked with local flavours. Very good wine recommendation to compliment your food too, although the wine serving a bit short of the kiwi style.
The steak was perfectly cooked to our request and the lamb shoulder tastes yummy without being too gamey. For dessert, I had the orange bread and butter pudding made with Hislops self made bread. Yummy, there was orange peels and big chucks of orange, feels like bits of mandarin oranges.
Highly recommended! I wish I could stay longer in Kaikoura just to eat here more..

• Visited July 2011
Kaikoura
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“a delicious dinner experience”
Reviewed May 22, 2011

We live in Kaikoura and have eaten at Hislops quite a few times over the years. We have always enjoyed it. Last night was no exception!

I had the Seared Salmon which is normally served on herbed couscous with a crisp summer salad and herb oil.
Last night there was a special with monkfish on sauteed spinach and mushroom brown rice risotto and a red wine jus so I asked if I could have the monkfish fixings with the salmon instead of the monkfish. The chef very willingly obliged and it was beautifully presented and just as beautiful tasting. The risotto was scrumptious, complemented by the colour and FRESH flavour of the spinach. The salmon was cooked perfectly to my liking, seared until just firm enough to be done and with beautiful juices)
My husband had the Beef Steak served to your liking (which arrived a perfect medium rare) on herbed roast potatoes,grilled vegetables and a red wine glaze
This was also absolutely delicious.
We each had about 1/3 of each others dishes and were equally impressed.

We shared a very fresh mix of greens salad with a tasty house vinaigrette for which I would love the recipe. We ended our meal with a too yummy chocolate silk pecan tarte on a lemon passionfruit sauce. I could have eaten a bowl of the sauce by itself! Divine!! and the chocolate pecan filling was just perfect as was whatever crumb mixture from which they had made the tart. It was a big enough serving to be quite adequate for two without overdoing it which we would have, if we'd each had one.

Hislops has a gourmet mainly organic menu. Organic meats and produce cost more so it's not surprising their prices reflect this. Many of the dining out experiences in Kaikoura are equally if not more expensive and they do not use organic ingredients. We do find their wine menu expensive. We opted to share a 500 ml bottle of Emerson's Porter which went down very well.

They do not have an extensive menu at Hislops so that what they do, they do very well. At least this has been the case whenever we have been there. The service can be rather slow when they are busy but we've always found it worth the wait.
I have seen just a few bad reviews of Hislops on the Tripadvisor website. It is really unfortunate those folk did not have the experiences that we have. They have really missed a treat.

• Visited May 2011
Hilton Head Island, SC
“Freshness was apparent”
Reviewed April 11, 2011

We ventured into Hislop's for lunch at the recommendation of the owner of the B&B where we were staying , and I am glad we followed it. The food was very fresh and most enjoyable. I ordered the Potato Feta Rosti with the bacon. It was one of the better meals in town and I was impressed with quality and freshness of the ingredients at this organic driven menu. My wife ordered a hot smoked salmon dish, which she also liked very much. A worthwhile place to stop for a meal.

• Visited April 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
“Friendly service, average food”
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Ordered a bread and dips and a seafood platter to share for dinner.
Both dishes were disappointing in terms of value for money and taste.
The seafood platter was beautifully presented however the highlight of the dish was the potato salad and I LOVE seafood.

We really enjoyed the service. Our waiter was friendly, attentive and charming.

Despite all the good reviews about this place, we can't help but regret not going next door...

• Visited January 2011
Hislops2010, Manager at Hislops Wholefood Cafe, responded to this review, January 19, 2011
Hi there,

thanks for your feedback on your recent visit to Hislops Wholefoods Cafe.
I am sorry to hear that you found our Seafood Platter disappointing.
We are re-evaluating this dish (it's fairly new to the menu ) to see how we can improve it, as we always aim to provide excellent quality food, and take your comment seriously.
Perhaps you have the opportunity to drop the cafe an email with your suggestions (as a seafood lover, you may have some ideas you'd like to contribute?). This would be appreciated.
Thank you again for giving us feedback, and giving us the opportunity to fix it for future guests.

Regards