“A great backpacker's accommodation”
Review of Birdsong

and 1 more site!
Birdsong
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Birdsong was a homey, comfortable place with a large clean kitchen and dining area overlooking the Tasman Sea. The individually-themed rooms added to the experience. Ours was Penguin with a stuffed penguin waiting for us on our bed. The owner was friendly and very helpful. She makes wonderful scones and wholemeal bread! With a beach just across the road, we could experience the driftwood beach and beautiful sunset and sunrise.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Birdsongbackpackers, Owner at Birdsong, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Your comments are heart-warming.... time for me to bake some more scones! Many thanks!

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Just north of Hokitika, across the road from the beach is a beaut backpackers. I had a double room with balcony and a view to the sea. Didn't worry about the traffic noise as others have done - it isn't bothersome. Great kitchen, clean, good number of tables and chars and a couple of couches. Limited bathroom/toilet spaces but very clean. Overall top notch place and top notch host

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Thanks for being a top notch guest! We hope to see you again!

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stayed here a month ago or so and it was absolutely awesome. This place is exactly what I look for in backpacker accommodation. We stayed in a double room that looked out over the Tasman Sea and it was beautiful. Each room is unique in its own way from what I saw and they all seem to have their own personality all of which include bird theme's with custom paintings etc. Our room had a giant stuffed sheep to welcome us which I thought was a great touch to make it feel more like you were walking into a home rather than some cookie cutter hostel. Kitchen and communal area were very clean as were the bathrooms. If you like one of a kind accommodation than Birdsong is definitely one you should put on your list.

Room Tip: Spoonbill was the name of our double room looking out over the sea
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ndcasey
Birdsongbackpackers, Owner at Birdsong, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

It is awesome that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope you will come back another time. Thanks for sharing your feedback on our special place!

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Stayed here a couple of years ago and always remember those couple of days in Hokitika.. Birdsong was like a gift from heaven after a few days travelling and a couple of inferior stop overs elsewhere! The hosts were really friendly and helpful - it felt like staying with old friends - not intrusive but nothing was too much trouble. Great rooms with amazing atmosphere, comfort and colour - want to go back!! actually went prior to 2012 probably September 2011!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Birdsongbackpackers, Owner at Birdsong, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Hello "old friend" and thanks for remembering us and our little hostel on NZ West Coast. For some reason I'm sure I remember you, email me and plan your next trip! Come back to the creative persons little haven!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

The name says it all, Birdsong, you can hear birds singing in the morning and it's really good to wake up in such beautiful scenic! The sunset beach just opposite the road, big kitchen, cozy room, comfy beds. We are lucky to stay here during low peak season and there's only us with a few other travellers. Owner was helpful and friendly, and a cute son :) Very good idea of the log book that shares the best of NZ, comments from travellers all over the world. I've discovered so many hidden gems thanks to the book (it's at the dining area if you're looking for it). I felt a long lost warmth at here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Bell N

We are so happy to read your feedback and know that you enjoyed our hostel. The birds are still singing! Only a 3 hour journey from Christchurch so we hope you will return one day. We would like to pass your positive comments on to YHA and BBH head office : )

Reviewed March 20, 2013

This was a great hostel...we only planned on staying one night but extended our stay because it was so lovely. We had a private room and used the shared facilities. Our room was large, sparkling clean, and had a beautiful view of the gardens and the ocean. The whole hostel had a lot of nice little surprises to discover like the "private bushmans bath tubs" and travel advice. I read some of the negative reviews and completely disagree about the sound being a problem. Yes, you could hear cars driving by and people talking in the hostel but it was definitely not too loud to enjoy some peace and quiet and fall asleep easily. Nothing out of the ordinary for any hostel that is on a road and has other guests (umm...every hostel???) The hostel had a very homely quiet feel to it, definitely not a party hostel which kept things peaceful. I would definitely reccomend this hostel to anyone.

Room Tip: Beach view rooms are beautiful and have a great view, but the garden rooms are nice as well as they...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Birdsongbackpackers, Owner at Birdsong, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Thanks for the very positive feedback. We hope you will return one day!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Birdsong provides clean, comfortable, and reasonably priced backpacker accommodation. Easy access to the beach across the street or the glowworm dell down the road. Town is 2 km away, but a walk down the beach makes it a pleasant stroll, and it's a very short drive if you have a vehicle. There are washers and a clothes line if you need to do laundry, a BBQ and nice deck to enjoy the pleasant weather, and the Bushman's Baths for a bath under the stars. (We didn't utilize the baths, the the couples that did thought they were amazing.)

We stayed in Hokitika as part of our tour of the West Coast via bicycle. We had originally planned on staying for two nights, and had rooms booked with promises of a location to park our tandem bicycle at night and while we toured the area on foot. Unfortunately, a nasty accident on the shared rail/vehicle Taramakau bridge just south of Greymouth ended our bicycle tour early.

A very nice couple took us to their nearby home and stored our bicycle and belongings, then drove us in to the hospital, as I was in significant pain and thought I may have broken something. By the time we were cleared to be discharged (no broken bones, but many ice packs and bandages later), there were no rental cars to be had in Greymouth, and no buses until the following day. Out of options in Greymouth, and with reservations at Birdsong, we contacted them to see if they had any advice on how to get to Hokitika. We spoke with Kerry and explained our situation. Without hesitation, she offered to come and pick us up at the hospital. Not only did she pick us up, but she stopped at the store so we could get groceries, then stopped by the kind couples house so we could pick up a few of our belongings. During the drive, we were discussing how to get to our van, which was parked in St Arnaud. We mentioned rental cars, etc., but Kerry stated "we can do better than that, let me check into things."

The following morning, Kerry approached us with a plan for using the bus and a shuttle to get my husband to our vehicle. Not only did she provide the plan of action, but she then made the necessary phone calls to make the reservations. Once my husband was on his way (I couldn't sit) and her morning cleaning was nearly completed, she approached to ask what I planned to do during the remainder of the day. Not knowing, as all my plans had been quite active and I was finding myself exceptionally limited on movement due to my injuries, she suggested doing a carving at Bonz 'N Stonz to keep my mind off the pain (it worked, and was an enjoyable experience that I recommend). Kerry called to see if they could fit me in for the day, which they could, then gave me a ride into town, as my hobbling gait made the 2 km a very long walk. She even offered to pick me up at the end of the day, although I chose to slowly amble along the beach to get back. (It took a long time in my gimpy condition, but it was a lovely walk.)

With the necessary change in plans, we extended our stay by a night, and each day either Kerry or Neil would check to see how we were doing. For our third night, we needed to move rooms, as another couple had booked the room we were originally in (the ensuite). Kerry gave us a choice of unbooked rooms to choose from, and Neil offered to help move our belongings. In looking at several of the rooms, it was noticeable that each is well appointed and tastefully decorated (much of the art done by Kerry). Watching Kerry and Neil interact with their other guests, it was obvious that they had a genuine interest in making the stay at Birdsong an enjoyable one for all.

Birdsong is a fantastic backpackers, and we could certainly stay there again on a return trip to Hokitika. With a wide variety of things to do in the area, it will be worth a return trip.

Huge kudos to Kerry, who truly went above and beyond to help us out.

Room Tip: You can hear road noise from the front rooms, so if road noise is bothersome, bring earplugs or choo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

You guys are awesome and I hope our next meeting wont be at the hospital! Our hospitality comes from putting ourselves in others shoes : 0 Thanks for your great review, see you next time!