“Very friendly and comfortable hostel”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Hokitika
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I only stayed here for one night, but I found this hostel to be comfortable and clean. The welcome was very warm and friendly, I even got a tour around the hostel and was shown to my room. However, I had to wait for about half an hour until I could check in because no one was at reception. I understand, however, that people do need breaks, so I simply made myself comfortable in the cozy lounge in the meantime and one of the many DVDs.

The backpackers is located above the Mountain Jade Factory, and fro the lounge you can actually look down into the shop, which makes for a very different and interesting view. Also, you get a 10% discount when you buy something there.
Practically everything can be reached on foot in just a few minutes, and a public library with free WiFi is just. Few metres down the road.

The walls in the common areas and even he rooms are decorated with funny wall paintings instead of the usual advertisement posters. Everything was very clean. The communal kitchen, however, is a bit small, and although there were several free spices, all of them except for the salt were empty.

In summary, my stay was pleasant, and considering that a night at this hostel is cheap in comparison to most others, I got excellent value for my money. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Julie A
MJadeBackpackers, Manager at Mountain Jade Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Hi
Thank you for your review your comments are important to us.
We are glad you had a great stay with us and hope that the rest of your travels were as good.
We hope to see you again some time in the future.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Stayed 2 nights here whilst fishing in the area and found it perfect for my requirements ! Very friendly reception team and cleaning staff. My room had a little kitchen and bathroom and was very clean. Keep up the good work !

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
MJadeBackpackers, Manager at Mountain Jade Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Hi Thank you for your reveiw.
We hope your fishing trip was a success and we are glad you had a good time with us here.
Good luck with the rest of your fishing trips and we hope to see you again some time.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stay in self contain unit of 4 persons with a kitchen and own bathroom. Room and bathroom is clean. Good location as in the middle of town, walkable to clock tower. It has a big car park to park the car. Friendly staff at reception upon check in. Recommended!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
MJadeBackpackers, Manager at Mountain Jade Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Hi Thank you for your Review.
We a glad that you had a great stay with us here in Hokitika and hope the rest of your travels around New Zealand are as good.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Crashed here last minute on my way to Fox Glacier as it was getting dark and weather was too bad to continue the drive. Had called ahead to make a reservation and was told by the staff that he'll wait up for me. It was already past 8pm by the time I got there and boy was I relieved to meet someone so warm and friendly after the long drive! John also gave me some tips about driving in the area which were really helpful with all the road closure and floods and whatnot. There's a carpark at the back which I didn't know about but I parked up front with no issues anyway. I left early the next morning so barely used the facilities. Toilets and beds were clean and warm that's for sure! It's also located right in the middle of town!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
MJadeBackpackers, Manager at Mountain Jade Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Hi Cindy
Thank you for your review we glad we could be of help to you on your trip through the west coast and very happy that you had a good stay with us.
We hope the rest of your travels are as good around New Zealand.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I stayed here on my own in a private room and it was a great relief from the basic backpackers I'd previously stayed in. I had a great nights sleep. The shared bathroom and kitchen area is really clean and comfortable, as are the rooms. The living area has a huge tv and loads of dvds as well as plenty of chairs, tables and couches. John the owner was so friendly and helpful, really enjoyed chatting with him. Perfect location, Intercity bus stops right outside and its right in the centre of Hokitika and attached to the biggest Jade Jewelry stores where you can watch the carvers at work.
Great stay here.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
MJadeBackpackers, Owner at Mountain Jade Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Hi
Thank you for your review.
We are happy you had a comfortable stay with us here in Hokitika and hope you come back in the future.
We hope all your travels in New Zealand are as good as here on the wonderful west coast.
John

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Great backpacker on center Hokitika with car park on back building.
wash machine and dryer pretty cheap
possibility eating on quiet terrace. close to every shop and library for free internet!
A good sized bathroom and good kitchen facilities.
staff was nice and friendly.
Really good time in this place.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
MJadeBackpackers, Manager at Mountain Jade Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Hi
Thank you for your review your thoughts are important to us.
We glad that you had a great stay with us here in Hokitika and enjoyed your self while you were here.
We hope the rest of your travels in New Zealand are as good as here.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is a really nice hostel. My wife and I had a nice room. It was very clean and tidy. there was a great TV lounge area. This hostel is very well located in the centre of town. The owner operator was very friendly and helpful. He told me about a great restaurant "Cafe De Paris" just around the corner. I would highly recommend this Hostel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TimKiwi
MJadeBackpackers, Manager at Mountain Jade Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Hi Tim
Thank you for your review.
We are glad you had a great stay with us and hope to see you again in the future.
Keep safe in the skies.