All reviews ocean view new wing top floor underfloor heating the penthouse hotel restaurant third floor tasman sea heated towel rail oceanview room in town sound of the waves spa bath king bed the main street across the road stayed for one night
Reviewed February 21, 2010

I have stayed in this hotel a few times now. Usually it is a very nice hotel. However I feel the measure of service for any establishment is how they handle a problem. I found them lacking.

I arrived to find they had made a mistake with my booking. It was their mistake. Anyone can make a mistake but they may no apology, and absolutely no attempt to assist me to find somewhere else. I may stay there again but I would get written confirmation of the booking.

Date of stay: February 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank NZMike57
Reviewed February 5, 2010

My husband and I stayed here on the second night of our South Island road trip. We had a room in the Ocean View wing and indeed it was! We also ate in their restaurant and enjoyed a dinner of whitebait fritters, bluenose with pureed potatoes & courgette gazpacho, plus a delicious tiramisu for dessert - all on the outer deck with beautiful views to the sun setting over the ocean.

The room itself was completely satisfactory - nothing really stood out (apart from the view from the private balcony) but nothing was lacking either. The elevator wasn't working on our way up initially and, I have to admit, I was a little less than impressed with the response of the lady I reached on the front desk to whom I reported it after hauling our super heavy bags up a couple of flights of stairs. It was almost as if she didn't believe me, but a relatively small glitch in the whole scheme of our stay.

Lovely stopover in Hokitika for a night and we also met some great folks out on the beach after our meal - shared travel stories and some drinks and had a great evening overall.

Date of stay: January 2010
1  Thank TinyMonkey
Reviewed February 4, 2010

We turned up with no reservation and got an economy room, which turned out to be a very cheap, well-fitted double, with a sea view! The cheap rooms are in the grubbier looking building – not the new posh one right on the beach. However, they are excellent rooms and still clean and modern inside. The staff are very friendly and the location, as well as being right on the beach, is in the middle of all the amenities and next to the supermarket. The only negative thing about this place is the appalling restaurant (which I haven’t marked the hotel down for). When we went the service was so bad that at least three tables were holding wine bottles in the air for service. We didn’t get drinks until the man course, and then even when we has asked three times, and the food was less than average at best. It was expensive, unlike the hotel, which was excellent value.

Date of stay: January 2010
1  Thank fieldsendchris
Reviewed February 4, 2010

If you are on the west coast of NZ anywhere near Greymouth, do yourself a favor and travel south another 25 miles, or half an hour, to Hokitika. It’s a lovely little town with a wonderful hotel called the Beachfront Hotel.
The hotel is right on the beach where the ocean is wild and beautiful.
We stayed in the newer part and had a second floor room with a balcony overlooking the beach called Driftwood Standard – Queen + Single. Furnishings are very modern and clean. Rooms are spacious and the bathroom is particularly large with a wonderful shower. This section has an elevator and ample parking.
The hotel has a restaurant where the food and wine were excellent and quite good value for the money. (The hotel gave us a voucher for a free drink each) We had a table overlooking the ocean where the sun was setting and it was terrific.
The staff was particularly pleasant and helpful and it was truly a pleasure to stay at the Beachfront Hotel in Hoktika.

Date of stay: October 2009
Reviewed January 31, 2010

We have been staying at this hotel now since it first opened & travel to NZ from Australia 2-3 times a year. We always make the trip across to the West Coast to not only visit Hokatika but to stay at this hotel. We just love the location & watching the sunset over the ocean. The added benefits are the rooms, the wonderful restaurant & more importantly the very friendly staff. How's this for a story, we had a flat battery on our departure, Janet came out from the front office, popped her car around & jump started us, nothing is ever a problem, hence why we come back time after time. Congratulations to you all for a wonderful establishment & your hospitality.

Date of stay: December 2009