“excellent”
Review of Cafe de Paris - CLOSED

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Dinning on my own the staff where very friendly. There advice on there wine list was excellent. The food was excellent (and I'm fussy) Coffee was great. This was a great surprise to find in Hokitika.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Recommended by tripadvisor and very handy...

For starters I had the bruschetta which was okay....my husband enjoyed the French onion soup. We both had the beef bourbignon ...very tasty.

They let us take a cheese board next door to the b & b we were staying so we could enjoy it sitting outside watching the sun to go down.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We were expecting excellent food after reading the reviews but were disappointed. The waitress was excellent and helpful with the menu choices. We found the food somewhat bland and poorly presented. We have found excellent restaurants on our travels throughout New Zealand and this was not at the top of the list. Not a lot of choices in Hokitika for dinner however.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Lauded as one of the top restaurants on the west coast, I was looking forward to the experience. Sadly I didn’t get the chance.

Having reserved (on Saturday) a table for two for Sunday evening, I asked my guest to meet me there – we both had 35 minute drives to get there. On Sunday afternoon I missed a phone call, but recalled within a minute; a French girls asked if I was ??? (surname – no Mr) and I confirmed that. “You have a reservation this evening, we are closed.” I pointed out that they accepted the booking the day before, and the website clearly says open seven days a week for lunch and dinner. “We are closed” was the reply. Her “manager” confirmed the closure and made excuses about being very busy (lucky for some) and the chef could not do the evening shift etc. Bad management and planning there, then.

At no time during a five minute conversation did either persoin offer on single word of regret; no apology of any kind, no “very sorry, to let you down,” nothing. A rotten piece of customer handling, giving the strong impression that their problems over-ride those of anyone else and frankly arrogant

So we didn’t get to sample the food, ambience or indeed anything else.

Advice – try it if passing but don’t bother to book, I means nothing!

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Back in January I visited the Cafe de Paris here in Hokitika with my brother and sister in law.
We had a light lunch of paninis with a lovely salad as well.The food was lovely and the waitress were very polite and friendly to us and made us feel welcome.I definitely would recommend the Cafe de Paris to anybody visiting Hokitika. Excellent dining in Hokitika! Andrew