“A good lunch stop”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Greymouth
Formerly the Blackball Hilton
Ranked #7 of 16 Greymouth B&B and Inns
London
“A good lunch stop”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Other reviews have commented on this place as a hotel and I would not gainsay their experience. However we called in for lunch in the course of a day exploring the mining history of this area and are glad that we did so. We received a perfectly warm welcome and our lunch was fine. But what sets this place apart is all the fascinating (and sometimes tragic) mining memorabilia/news paper articles set out in the bar area. Next door to the hotel is the site where the New Zealand labour movement began and there is a small but interesting exhibition. I agree that Blackball looks pretty run down at present and we probably wouldn't stay there. But it has a place in the history of industrial New Zealand and that history is there to be discovered over a pint and a sandwich.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LondonRugbyfan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Braunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

But the place is quite rundown. We stayed simply because the bus tour we were on clearly has some agreement with them. My girlfriend and I got a private double for the same price as others in a 5 share dorm which is good for us but I would feel hard done by if I was a lone traveller.

Pros- you can get a pint of beer for an okay price.

Negs- 2 showers/toilets for 40 odd guests.

Not really a kitched

slightly unfriendly staff

Blackball has nothing to do

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank sahiedlu
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stayed here as part of a bus tour and it was terrible. The woman checked us in and was snappy and unhelpful. Then once in the room some of us tried to find a place to charge our phones and couldn't find a plug socket in the room so used one in the hallway. Next thing i know the man is in the hallway having a strop because we had used the plug socket and shouted at me as if i was 5 years old and his wife got our bus driver upstairs as if expecting her to do something about it we are all adults.
The room itself was ok although the beds seemed to sink down especially if your on the top bunk. The kitchen is tiny but luckily we had stopped for fish and chips before arriving and that''s another thing the owners were annoyed because we were late. There are only two showers for about about 20 rooms!
As for the wifi the you are only allowed to access this from 8am the following morning not the night before when most people would prefer to use it and if you did ask you'd get a rude reply.

I couldn't understand why the owners where in the business as they seemed to hate running the place and if you asked any questions or for any help the response was always rude.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed here overnight because I was on a bustour. I thought the staff wasn't friendly. A group of people from the bus went for a walk in the morning, so me and some other people stayed and waited in the hotel for them to come back. I was in the kitchen 10.10am to make a sandwich and filling my waterbottle. A woman from the staff came and told me to basically leave the kitchen because I already checked out at 10am. "Officially" she was right because we had to check out, but i didnt think it was appopriate because we had to wait for the people from the bus. The hostel has a contract with the buscompay so they should be more friendly/understandable.
Price-quality isn't good for me.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New York
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

This backpackers is a stopover as part of a bus tour I am on. The female proprietor had about as much charm as a rattlesnake & checking in wasn't a friendly process because of her snappy attitude. The place is dirty & I had bites all over my feet the following morning. We were ordered out of the dining room & into the garden for eating our own food in the dinimg area even though there were no signs to say we couldn't do it & no area marked out for us to sit. (remember we were given the option of whether we wanted to eat there so surely we should have some provision for it). The kitchen for backpackers was non existent - most unhelpful as we were all carrying food & had to store it on the bus which meant I had to throw some away the following day. We then had to dress up & were subjected to more barking of orders from the owner & some really bizatre party games. I was glad to leave. The toilets are decorated out with quirky sayings & bizarre artwork. This makes the place all the more strange given the lack of personalities that the owners have. The building has tons of fascinating history and its totally lost under all the weird stuff thats there. Shame really. With different owners & a total revamp with proper backpacker facilities this place could be a gem.

• Stayed March 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed here as part of a group trip so little other option. Perhaps as we were guaranteed business but a couple of the staff, including the landlord, were unfriendly verging on rude. Some of the mattresses need replacing and there are not enough showers/bathrooms in the place. There were also some old clothes in drawers in our room which was a little strange. Nice old building though. But wouldn't recommend this hotel or blackball.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Visby, Sweden
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The place was very dirty... The whole building could use a go with the vacuum cleaner.
Unfriendly staff (or at least the woman that greeted us) and I didn't get any sleep because of a party in the bar down below.
Not a place I would recommend to anyone.. Just a terrible night.

The only good thing was the dinner. The food was excellent!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends