“Not great”

Bonzai Cafe
Ranked #8 of 34 Restaurants in Greymouth
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Established in 1982 the Bonzai has been under new management since June 2015. Now known as the Bonzai Cafe, it still provides all the old favourites, great pizza's and some of the best coffee to be found on the Coast. We've been continuing to improve the range of food available and extended our evening dining menu. We pride ourselves on excellent house made meals and good old West Coast service. All our produce is freshly baked and prepared on site. We make all our own cakes, pies, breads and savouries.
Ashburton, New Zealand
“Not great”
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Went to Bonzi for my birthday, very disappointing, ordered a brancott sparkling wine, was brought a settlers hill still, asked waitress to change and I'm told we don't have anything else! Tasted like it came from a bottle that has been open too long.
Ordered Bonzi pasta dish, think the sauce came out of a jar, was watery, no flavour, left most of my dinner on the plate, but the waitress never asked, is everything alright!
Wouldn't go back here!

Visited April 2013

Auckland, New Zealand
“Good value, good food & good coffee”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Good coffee here, great selection of food. There was a lot of savoury cabinet meals and also a lot of sweet baked goodies. As well as menu items. Portions are what I would call large and good value for money. The customer service was a bit lacking though, the older woman working the till and taking the orders was less than accommodating. I ordered the quiche from the cabinet, but had to send it back to get it re heated as it was cold in the middle.

• Visited April 2013
“Not what we were expecting..”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Unfortunately these pizzas were not very nice- very different from what we are used to. We are from Sydney and have eaten plenty of pizza from plenty of different restaurants. The sauce was like tomato paste straight from the bottle and there was so much cheese the boxes were completely soaked in oil. The bases were really heavy.. Perhaps if you are used to this kind of pizza you will enjoy it!

1 Thank BRWilliams05
South Pacific
“Yummy!!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I went there about 6pm on weekday by myself. It was probably early for other people, and there was only one another customer who was waiting for take away pizza.
I had a small sized Milano which is a seafood pizza ($15). Lots of shrimps and mussels were on it. It was good and I ate them all though it was too big for me.
I think if there was a little bit smaller one for single women or elder customers, it would be better.

• Visited March 2013
Hokitika
“Great pizza poor service”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We are from the coast and have many a time dined at Bonzai, this time we were unimpressed to say the least. We arrived at 7.30 and were greeted with a grunt from the waitress. We hadn't even been shown the menu and we were already being asked what we wanted to order. The food I wouldn't rave about ( our plates weren't empty) but we have had pizzas there in the past and they have been great... The service wasn't anything to rave about. My partner and I felt like they were just trying to get rid of us and close up shop for the night, other people arrived and were turned away. Wouldn't dine in but would consider getting a takeaway pizza..

• Visited January 2013