All reviews tasman sea host jan private beach new zealand homemade pizza eggs benedict south island one night fellow guests fantastic setting slice of paradise rock pools sound of the waves onward journey stayed longer beachfront location the main house
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Last year this was our first stop on the west Coast and we knew we had to do it again. Jan is the best hostess you could wish for and she gave us the lovely surprise of an upgrade to the room which has "The loo with a view".The size of a small bedroom with a large window with a wonderful view of that wild sea I never tire of looking at. I even had a shower with my glasses on so that I could appreciate it, not easy but it can be done. Jan recommended we go to the Rapahoe Beachfront Hotel for our evening meal and as usual her advice was exactly right. I have entered a separate review so I will only say,great food(mountains of it) warm atmosphere generated by Dot serving drinks and the roaring fire.Managed to leave enough room for Jan's generous breakfast. Cereals,fruit, yummy home made yoghurt and of course no one could say no to Jan's Eggs Benedict.Could not leave before taking a walk on the wonderful wild beach and a gaze out on that wild sea, oh and a game of "throw the tiny pebble" with one of Jan's lovely dogs. We left with warm hugs and our so helpful list of all the places to stop and things to do on the next part of our trip. No one should travel without one of these.
So if you are travelling on the West Coast at some point give yourselves a huge treat and stay with Jan and Steve at The Breakers

Date of stay: October 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Janet R
Jedsmom, Owner at Breakers Boutique Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Janet and Hugh it was fantastic to see you both again. I always enjoy our chats and your enthusiasm for the West Coast is second to none - besides me of course :-)
Look forward to your next visit and our next catch up - we will try to make sure you get some sunshine and up on the glacier next time round! Cheers Jan

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We spent 16 nights across NZ (both islands) in mostly B&Bs and a few hotels. Absolutely stunning views of Tasman sea. Jan our host was not only friendly and welcoming, but having met so many hosts over our travels in NZ, she came across as a genuinely caring person. Upon learning of our travel plan she warned us about the Haast Pass road closure and monitored it for us until our check out the next morning. She even carried one of our bags to our room upstairs, gave us a plan for the evening and printed a copy of all the stops/attractions all the way till our next destination, Fox Glaciers. Our room was slightly warm in the afternoon because of the ample sunlight but was perfect overnight. Great escape to the beach, a 5 minute walk through the lovely garden. The waters from the adjacent creek enters the sea bringing down some amazing smooth pebbles. The location is just one of the best, in some ways isolated, away from the bustle of towns, and you have the beach and Tasman Sea to yourselves! And both Greymouth to the south, and Punakaiki to the north are a 25min drive, with the road north being super scenic! Very highly recommended.

Date of stay: October 2013
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank DeeVHK
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I spent 35 days in NZ changing my accomodation almost every day. The Breakers is such a charming place that I had to stay more than one night and had problems to leave and say good bye. The view is stunning. Right on the beach you overlook the ocean. On the left and right you see parts of the rain forest. I had much more expensive accomodations on the coast but none of them provided such a stunning view so close to the ocean. The room was great, top cleanliness, it conveyed the feeling as if I were the first guest. I wonder how they do it? The breakfast is excellent. It is a fairly small place which made feel at home immediately. Jan and Stephen made my stay a very personal experience. I had never before hosts that contributed so much to the success of my stay. They have a lot of expertise on what you can do on the South Island in particular along the coastline. Some of my best photos were taken following their advice. I will definitely come back to this first class accomodation. The Breakers offers a holiday experience that is second to none.

Christoph Linzbach

Room tip: All are top!
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Christoph L
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This is my first review here, so I want it to be special:

During 3 week vacation in New Zealand, I have stayed with several top rated B&B, hostels and service apartments, Breaker is definitely the best of the best!! This lovely beach house got stunning view (far more better than photos), a lovely couple and two beautiful large dogs. Lady Jan welcomed me by long sweet emails with helpful advices for trip design, her emails displayed a very beautiful writing skill and a thoughtful heart. Although I only had one night stay in Greymouth, Jan made time to show me around the town, hiking with me to her favorite places. Upon my departure, Jan drive me to the train station, shopped food with me, she even gave me a nice cardigan to keep me warm in the following journey. However, I dont want to list every details here, coz I dont want exhaust this kind lady to do that much for everyone… that will be just too much for her, Jan treated me like a real daughter, I would come back to Greymouth JUST FOR HER.

If you had a plan to visit Greymouth, please spend least one night at Breaker, you will only regret not booking more nights there …

• Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Amy G
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This accommodation is simply the Best, better than all the rest. Great location, views were breath taking, presentation 5 star but the host was a real gem, just couldn't do enough for the four of us. Great cook nothing is too much trouble, food quality of a very high standard.
Well done Breakers Boutique will be recommending your accommodation far and wide.
A Big Thank You.
Greg & Merle Sutton

Room tip: Higher room in main house, amazing views
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends