“The worst”

Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Greymouth
Hobart, Australia
“The worst”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Perhaps the worst motel experience ever. After a long drive down New Zealand's beautiful west coast in rainy, windy weather, we were given a grungy, foul smelling room with stained chairs and marked-up walls. Not very welcoming. Worse, a few hours later we returned from dinner, got settled and then a knock on the door. The landlady told us we had to move rooms. My partner, arm in cast from freshly broken wrist was just settling into bed. I questioned why we should move and the owner went 'ballistic' insisting it was our fault! We should have known that it wasn't the correct room. What??? Gave us an hour and said she was going to get her husband to sort us out! Wow! We moved.

Otherwise, New Zealand is full of the nicest, kindest and most laid-back people on earth. Go there, just stay away from the Graymouth Bella Vista.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bruce E
Bryan W, Owner at Bella Vista Motel - Greymouth, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
I expected this review. Yes it was unfortunate but not exactly as the guest has told it. This guest had booked a Compact studio. I guess they were just after something a bit cheaper. We were training a Young lady and had left her for the first time. When these guests arrived, she put them into a Family unit. Our mistake. This unit has brand new Carpet and has just been painted so i guess the part about stains etc wasn't true. As they knew, the town was very full. and if i hadnt had my Family unit sold, i would have left them in that room, But after trying to find the family another place, there wasnt anything, so my wife went to speak to them to see if it was ok if we could change them. I guess because they had such a Big room with spa Bath etc etc for such a low price, they obviously didnt want to move. Yes the conversation did get heated but it was because the guest was refusing to move. My wife thought it was best to walk away and when i went to see them he was quick to apoligise for his outburst. so he admitted he got heated. The couple did move and for that we upgraded them to a Bigger unit than they had booked plus gave them a free Continental breakfast for the troubles. I understand they were upset but so would have been the family that would have turned up without a room.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Drove from Christchurch to Greymouth and stayed at this motel during our holidays in NZ in Sep 2013. A clean and nice motel, near to restaurants and fast food joints. Helpful host who gave us tips to some nice places for dinner.

Room Tip: Ask for the ground floor if u have huge luggage.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was a good place to stay, the rooms were clean and tidy - in saying that, there were stains on the tea cups - rings from previous visitors so I cannot say it was excellent. The staff were great - really helpful and accommodating. The milk came in little jugs - a great message for sustainability! I would have loved to have been able to leave my heater on a thermostat so I got to walk into a room that was not freezing but it was operated by the key in the slot so that was not meant to be. I am not sure about other prices around the town but it was not an unpleasant stay and I would consider returning. I got a great meal at a little place down the road called The Rec.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AntarcticChick
Bryan W, Owner at Bella Vista Motel - Greymouth, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Hi there and thank you for the review. We are hugely disappointed with the stains on the tea cups and Apologise to you for that. That is totally unacceptable and wont happen again. Anyone that stays here knows we pride ourselves on Cleanliness and Qualmark has given us 100% for 6 years now so this issue will be addressed. Again apologise. The key tag was in place when we came here but I do support it. Most of my regular reps ask for a 2nd key if they want to keep things going and normally if it cold I will have heaters going before the guest gets here if I know a approx. time. Once the room heats up, it holds its heat pretty good. Unfortunately its the old problem where someone has let everyone else down and they tried to go out and leave things running and put a chair in front of the heater and things all but caught fire, so the key tag is a safety thing for other guests. But as I say I do give a 2nd key out. I hope the rest of your stay was great and you had a safe trip home. Thank you for your feedback. It will be addressed today.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Good place to stay! This is a nice clean motel with friendly helpful staff. It was very quiet despite being on a busy road and we got a good nights sleep. I would recommend this motel and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I regularly stay in motels around the country. I found Bella Vista Greymouth, to be great value for the price paid.
The unit was so clean and the owners were friendly and helpful. So close to the pool as well which my girls loved.
My bed was comfortable and the unit was cosy and well equipped.
I will definitely stay here again and recommend to friends and family:).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Paws W
Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2013

All it says on the label. The host was very friendly and the room was spotless and well equipped for a studio. Trouble is it lacked character, found it a bit clinical. Only problem was that the open drain in the shower room floor was a bit odorous. Although not expensive it was not as good value as we had in some of the other fifteen motels we stayed in during our holiday.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Brian B
New Zealand
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed one night here...the studio unit tho small was very clean and modern..it had Sky TV which was a bonus as I could watch the rugby.Check In was easy...the staff pleasant and helpful.. The room had no view which was a pity but we were there only to sleep ...and also watch the Rugby on Sky

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple