Paroa Hotel
$76
Hotels.com
$73
Hotwire.com
Greymouth KIWI Holiday Park & Motels(Greymouth)(Great Value!)
$68
Coleraine(Greymouth)
$92
$81
Hotwire.com
Aachen Place Motel(Greymouth)(Great Value!)
$75
  • Free Internet
$76
$83
TripAdvisor
All reviewsturbotribsa family run hotelbottle storelocal familiessmall deckmeals were greatfree netflixbeef and reefwell stocked mini barinformation on local attractionspopular restauranton site restauranthis sonstayed for two nightswest coast hospitalitypub meal
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I have mixed feelings about my stay at the Paroa hotel. Firstly, the website descriptions are a little deceptive and in my personal opinion the accommodation needs some refurbishment. Whilst there was nothing I could put my finger on I got the impression the accommodation is run as more of a sideline than a primary focus. Certainly, compared to other places we stayed in on this trip the Paroa hotel didn't offer as good value for money. Breakfast was a bit disorganised but I fully appreciate that at the time we stayed the owner was going through a difficult court case involving his sons death at the Pike River mine disaster. On that note I wish Bernie every success with the court case & hope those responsible are held to account. Thanks.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed for two nights over Queens Birthday weekend 2012. This is probably one of the first places we've stayed without me checking up the reviews on Trip Advisor. I have to say that the photos on the internet about this place was what drew us.
On arrival, I was a bit disappointed about the room being so "dated" but I guess beggars can't be choosy. I picked this place because it allowed dogs! I have to say that the only negative would be the interestingly dated decor within the room.

Aside from that, everything else was what we expected. The room was clean and spacious, warm and the bed comfortable - what more could you ask for really? The owner, his employees greeted us with a smile and at the end, I came to realise that despite the room, the people make it all worth coming here again. We ate at the restaurant for two nights in a row. We also mingled with a few locals at the pub.

There's limited cell phone reception here and this can be taken both ways. We found it a blessing not to have so many people interrupt us for our quiet weekend getaway.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rusty2010
Reviewed April 24, 2012

There are problems using the internet to find motel rooms and one can never really be sure what you're going to get. The comments were good for the Paroa and the location looked good (right on the Tasman Sea) but in reality the room we had was really old style and although we were comfortable enough we thought we overpaid for what we got. There was a weird smell the first night but that seemed to clear up for the second night. The sea is there but because of some flooding along the shore one has to walk a considerable distance to find access to the beach. Internet wasn't so good but then that was typical for almost every place in New Zealand. TV was OK and parking was OK.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2012

There is nothing particularly fancy about the Paroa Hotel but it is a great stopover when travelling down the west coast of South Island. The rooms are not luxurious but they are of a good size, are clean and are well equipped. Our room had a small deck facing towards the ocean and was a great place to enjoy a quiet beer or sundowner. Friendly staff in the adjacent bar/restaurant.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2012

From the word 'Welcome' our experience was nothing but perfect.
The welcoming from the Monk Family was genuine and warm, inside their lovely pub,restaurant,bottle store and spotless units with Plasma TVs.

We have nothing but great words to say about the place and the people.

The food was 'Michigan' standard from breakfast to dinner.
If you like your meat then you MUST try the ribs, these are by far the best ribs I have ever eaten.

The pub was incredibly friendly, the locals are nothing but a laugh. Always good to tell a tale and 'pull your leg'.

The units were very spacious and modern, not to mention spotless.
Comfortable beds, flat screen teles, great showers, with instantaneous and powerful hot water. Even the linen was top notch.

Berne and Kath were very pleasant and out going, helping us plan our day for the family. Sending us to all the best spots, some off the beaten track. Big Thanks.

Alan and Olivia running the bar ran a great ship and were very bubbly, smiley and funny.
It was difficult to leave the pub sometimes with the service we received.

The restaurant got very busy by night with a fantastic atmosphere, clearly the food is a hit with the locals and us travellers.
The bar has plenty of room, pool tables, pokies. caters for all. Even the smokers with large outdoor area.

I will be bringing my family back to stay here without a doubt, I plan to keep in touch with the Monk Family who have been nothing but wonderful.
I really cant thank them enough for such a delightful experience.

You will not be disappointed. I have stayed in many hotels, hostels, camp grounds, motels.
This is in my top 3 .
I promise.

Room Tip: They are all brilliant
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family