“One of the top hostels in the world.”

Global Village Backpackers
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I can say with absolute certainty that this is the BEST hostel I have ever been. I can't honestly think of something bad about it, except that I couldn't take it with me so I could sleep there every night for the rest of my trip. From the outside it doesn't look like much, but when you enter it is like the hidden gem in the desert. It is truly an oasis for travelers, it is clean but colorful, relaxed but intellectual. You have everything you need and everything is well organized in your room the bathroom and the kitchen. Like that was not enough for the price you pay, you also get FREE bikes and kayaks. It has its own spa, sauna and fitness room. In all the hostels that I have been in different countries and continents this is simply the best. If your are in NZ south island west cost, staying a night here should be pat of your itinerary.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 23, 2013

One of my favorite hostels on the west coast.

It's all very comfortable, the dorm room was nice and spacious and the beds were comfortable.

The free kayak and bike hire was brilliant, I spent an hour or so floating around in the harbour watching the sunset with a few friends and a couple of beers.

My only request to the management, please turn off the music in the social area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I are not really the backpacker type but have been staying in hostels whilst travelling up the West Coast. I don't often review places but this hostel is truly excellent and I want to recommend it to others, particularly other non-typical backpackers. We stayed in a double room it was big, clean & had a really comfortable bed. We did not have an en suite but the communal bathrooms (girls one and a boys one) were really nice and the showers powerful. The manager was friendly & helpful. The facilities were amazing, a gym, a hot tub, kayaks, bikes, a movie room. The kitchen had more utensils than I have at home and it was never too busy. The only thing I could fault is Greymouth itself, it's not all that great on a rainy Sunday! I would definitely recommend this hostel, especially to those who are a bit apprehensive about staying in a backpackers, I guarantee this accommodation is better than most hotels.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This place is colorful, eclectic, vibrant, and welcoming. It's like Disney-does-Bohemian, where the place looks like a hippie hangout run by clean-cut "cast members." Each room has its own character, furnished with objets d'art from all over the world. Simon the host remembers your name and logs everyone in on a blackboard in the lounge in case guests want to socialize. There are patios here and there, a generous-sized kitchen with beautiful, bright-colored clay dishes, and well-maintained bathrooms. The whole place has a feeling of environmental awareness and community, where everything is recycled and diversity is celebrated. It's a short drive or ride on one of their free bikes to see the sun set over the ocean, and Simon will tell you exactly what time it sets each day. He'll also sell you milk if you need some for your morning cereal! I would have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Since each room is so individual, ask to see all the rooms that are available before choosing!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Two of us stayed here and were given a room with our own veranda. A bonus. The room was cool.The communal kitchen was spotless and super clean. The lounge was massive and filled with artefacts from Africa. The entire place was so comfortable that we did not venture out. Shared showers and tolets great (men and woman separate).

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Guy on reception was lovely Simon I think. Hostel is full of character with lovely decorations and ornaments from around the world. Now I almost gave it 3/5 purely for the fact that the duvet covers do not get changed after each guest this made me feel very uncomfortable as cleanliness is a huge thing for me. There is a sign on the back of the door asking you to strip your bed except for the duvet cover. I also saw the room next door the next day get made up with new sheets but the same duvet cover as was used for previous guests. It takes two seconds to take off and should be washed after every use. Do you want to pull a duvet over you which a smelly guest has sat on naked for all you know? No thank you! The friendliness on reception and the effort someone has put into decorating this place made me still give it a four.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed only one night at this hostel but if we had the time we would have stayed longer. The staff was really friendly. The kitchen was well equiped and cleaner than at home ;-) The private room was big and beautifully decorated. The bathrooms were also perfect. Do not hesitate book :-)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple