“amazing well worth the money a def must do”

Dragon's Cave Rafting
Ranked #5 of 19 things to do in Greymouth
More attraction details
Owner description: This tour has options for almost all ages and ability levels, ranging from a rain forest zipline flight, a wet and wild natural rock hydroslide ride to tubing into a cave to see some amazing glow worms. The trip is not a full on challenging cave expedition!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
“amazing well worth the money a def must do”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

had a great experience realy enjoyed my self and the local guide jono was very knowledgeable about the westcoast and local wildlife and kept us entertained the whole trip and the glow warms are amazing and loved the bush walk/cave entrance to the river recomend to anyone who wants have a fun relaxing trip

OldandGreyontop, Owner at Dragon's Cave Rafting, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thanks for your review jordz, we appreciate your time to do one. I agree, it is a pretty amazing moss covered rain forest canyon we go down. It is one of those special places that we are privileged to be able to share with people. Thanks for your business too!

Brisbane, Australia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Give it a go, you'll have a ball!”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

The host Paul was very welcoming and our guide Pete was experienced and lots of fun. From choosing all our gear to getting onto the rive to raft, we were looked after. We upgraded to the ziplining on the day and it was well worth it. Although the water was a bit shallow at the time, we still had lots of fun and Pete kept us entertained. It's a great bit of fun, not a strenuous activity and one which can be enjoyed by all the family.

Visited November 2012
Thanks for your review and thanks for choosing to do a tour with us. Your comments about the water level were helpful to us. Within a group doing the same trip at the same time a very small number of people are angry if the water is while others have a great time when the water is lower but would be apprehensive when the water is at a normal flow.
But 99% of people seem to have a great time at all flows as the trip has different parts to it and the river tubing is just one section. The cave and glow worms tubing part of the trip always has a good flow as its water source is different to where the water comes from for the river tubing.
This part of New Zealand is known as "NZ's Gold Coast" but all our "Theme Parks" are natural ones so we have to take the water flows that nature gives us. The main thing is that people understand what type of experience they are going to get so if anyone is concerned as to what type of experience they are going to get due to water flows (either to fast or to slow) then please check with us the day before and we can let you know what the river levels are going to be like for your trip.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Our family loved it, good value & well looked after”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

It is always tricky trying to decide what things to take your family on during a holiday but I'm glad we chose this one. They looked after us all really well and the variety of things you can do on the tour meant it suited the different ages of our kids. We were happy with the price and thought the spa afterwards was a nice touch. I read the last review and can only say that the gear we were given fitted well and kept us all very comfortable during the trip. I agree with the management response, if you book a trip and then cant make it at the last moment is it fair to expect them to give you your money back. I don't think so! When you dont turn up for your plane ticket do they refund you? No they don't. So Mr Manager please continue to keep your prices as low as possible and just charge those who try to take advantage of you rather than spreading the cost over all the rest of us. Well done guys.

Visited November 2012
Thanks for your review Simon,
We agree with your comments about charging people who don't turn up. It is a battle to keep costs down for our guests. So everyone, to help keep costs down please make sure you really do want to do a trip before booking a space. It is also a good idea to take out travel insurance for those unexpected times when plans dont go the way you wanted them to. If you dont have insurance then it is not fair to expect us to be your insurance company. The guides still need to be paid if they turn up for work ready for you and it is not fair on them if they dont get paid. We dont build in an extra amount in the prices we charge to cover those who dont turn up so we dont have a fund we can use to pay the guides for no shows.
Australia
101 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“False Advertising”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I completely agree with 'Not really an adventure' and 'Avoid like the plague'.
We primarily went to the area for caving and white water activities. There was another alternative further toward Westport that I now wish we had investigated.
On the web site the pictures are certainly not of the trip we did. The cost is way more than I would be prepared to pay knowing what we received in hindsight.
We bought our own towels at the Warehouse for $6, our gear fitted but was wet, it was very difficult walking some distance with 4 layers of water gear and abseiling gear.
The zip line lasted for about 20 seconds, the tubing was very benign and my tube popped in the cave. The glow worms were good, but could be seen in Hokitika without getting wet.
Spa was good, muffin and wine. Sebastian was great and saved the whole thing really.
How anyone can say this was the highlight of the South Island astounds me.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank caseyj1937
Hi Casey, thanks for your feedback. It would be great if you could let us know what website you used to get information about our trip. It sounds like some-one may have tagged incorrect photos to our tour and we would like to correct them. The best place to see the correct photos is our website at www.fun-nz.com. We are sorry if yopu didnt enjoy yourself. It sounds like you may have been after an experience that was much more challenging than what we provide although most people find the optional zipline, the cliff jump and the rock slide good "adrenaline shots" if they want them. We try to make sure everyone understands what the trip is like with our pre trip talk before leaving the base but it seems we did not get this right for you so we apologise for that.
Bangkok, Thailand
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Avoid Like the Plague”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We missed the glowworm caves in Te Anau and this sounded like the perfect substitute. Plus there was some adventure weaved in. We booked spots for three of us, but my wife got the flu the night before and was puking and couldn't sleep. I called the owner, Paul, and said we'd have to cancel, but he said we'd be charged full price. I looked at their Website, which is very confusing btw, and there is a cancellation policy that states if you cancel within 24 hrs you get charged full price. Harsh. But fair enough. Rather than waste three tickets, my 6-yr-old son and I ditched my wife and went for it. When I got there I asked if he was still going to charge full price for my wife. He was. I wasn't thrilled, but I understand a business has to make money. Then I asked if I can borrow two towels. Paul (owner) says he sells towels for $15 (or maybe it was $10). Seriously? You just charged me full price for someone who isn't here, and you're going to charge a couple of people (a 6-yr-old) who just came from Bangkok $15 for the use of a towel. I declined. We'd air dry out of principle. Then things went from bad to worse. First, there's the gear. It's full of holes. Water will seep in. And when you put it on at their office, there's still water in there from the last group. Half the sole of my right wader was coming off, which made walking over boulders ridiculous. We weren't alone. Everyone in the group had water in their suits or some other problem. Not a big deal for me, but my 6-yr-old was freezing to death after 5 minutes. And then there's the fact that the equipment for my 6-yr-old was for someone twice his size. This almost completely immobilized him. When he'd walk, the thick and heavy waders would slip down so that his feet would eventually come out of the boot part and he'd be walking where the knees are supposed to be. Rather than make the whole group wait, I picked him up and carried him 75% of the time. Sebastian, the guide, carried him another 15%, and he walked himself probably 10%. Not a big deal, except that we must have walked more than 3 km total. Up hills. Down hills. And, of course, thru the inch-deep stream we were supposed to be tubing down. That brings me to my main gripe. You pay to go tubing down a river, but, at least when I went, there wasn't a river. There was a stream. The group's tubes were constantly running aground, forcing everyone to get up and carry their tubes more than half the distance. I had to carry my water-logged son who went up from 50lbs to 80lbs with all that soaked neoprene. The slide was a 10-ft cement slope. Not fun. Too quick, and not wet. The glow worm cave is a mining tunnel. Would be fun if me and my friends found it back when I was 10, but felt like a rip off when you're paying $100s to commune with nature. The glowworms are cool, but I found out you can see them throughout the forest in parts of the West Coast (recommend a little 10 min trail near Fox Glacier). When we got back, they fed us muffins and juice/wine in lukewarm spas. I got out and began the process of air drying. Paul, the owner, saw this and finally had pity on my shivering 6-yr-old, letting us borrow two of the dozens of towels past customers had left behind. Nice gesture, except that he'd tried selling me a towel for $15 earlier when he had tons of these free ones in the first place. The textbook definition of nickel and diming a customer. The only reason I'm giving this 2 stars instead of 1 is because of Sebastian, the guide. He's awesome. He knows the area, and tries his best to make the whole experience edifying and fun. He was very patient with my son, and extremely helpful. Sebastian, if you read this, RUN! You can find better employment. Paul is selling a poor product, and he's doing it by squeezing every cent out of his customers, alienating them in the process. The only reason we went to Greymouth was to do this. How I wish I'd have done something else. This was the only dud during our entire two-week trip to the South Island. Don't make it your dud.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank wephillips
OldandGreyontop, Owner at Dragon's Cave Rafting, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
You were very, very grumpy with me even before you arrived because I would not agree to refund you your wifes fare when she decided not to go. The most difficult thing I have to do as a business owner is to give our visitors a great time at a reasoanble price while still providing our guide team with enough money to live on!
We generally mange to do this but none of us are well off. Just have a look at the cars we drive! We struggle to make a living because the costs to run trips like this are very high and we try to keep the price as low as possible so that people can afford to do them.
When a guest makes a booking I roster the guides on for you. If you then dont turn up or reduce the number of people we still pay the guides even if they dont end up doing a trip. They have to feed their kids after all! How do we meet this cost? We could charge every one more so that when some-one doesnt turn up we have a "fund" to still pay the guides. But then we have to make the trip more expensive and those that do turn up end up paying extra for those who dont bother. Is that fair. I dont believe it is. I wonder what other people think? When you made the booking you ticked a box that said you understood that if you had to cancel inside a specified time then you would not get a refund and that we advise you to take out travel insurance to cover this. You elected not to take out the insurance and then you want everyone else to cover the cost for you.
The towels are also a problem for us. We used to supply towels as part of the trip but many of them were being stolen. What should we do? Increase the price of the trip to cover this cost that a few unscrupulous people force on us or just ask people to bring their own towels. (which we did tell you to do). We surveyed all our guests for 3 months and they all said they would rather bring their own towels than have to pay more. So thats what we did. However every so often some one like your self forgets to bring a towel. So we try to keep a few that people can buy. We charge ten dollars for them (not the $15 you claim). We dont always have them available and we actually lose money from this service but most people appreciate it.
Sometimes we do have towels left behind but they are usually left because they are not in very good condition and people look sideways at me if I give them out. We use them as rags! But we do give them away to people who are happy to use them just as we did for you.
I was the person who walked with you and your son to the river. I know you were very grumpy about the money but your feedback needs to be accurate. There are no up hills and there is one down hill which takes 5 minutes. Your boot.....I didnt see that even though I walked with you.
Thanks for your positive feedback to Sebastain and I will pass that on to him.
It was unfortuneate your wife decided not to come and I apologise again for the angst this caused you but I'm trying to be fair to everyone.