Kingsgate Hotel Greymouth
$81
$80
$93
$91
Greymouth KIWI Holiday Park & Motels(Greymouth)(Great Value!)
$70
$76
$104
Sundowner Motel(Greymouth)
$75
All reviewsvenison pietwo double bedsbar managercomfortable hotelbit datedrailway stationtranz alpinewould stay again
Reviewed April 12, 2011

There not many hotel options in Greymouth, so although this is one of the better hotels, it is still not very good. The rooms are cramped and badly dated, and the upstairs rooms smell from the laundry on the same floor. The only redeeming feature is the restaurant which served quite nice food.

Reviewed March 17, 2011

We arrived via the Tranz Alpine train so we wanted a hotel within walking distance from the station. The Kingsgate delivered on that criteria as it was an easy walk along the quay so the location is very convenient. There are plenty of places to eat/drink all within walking distance. The receptionist at check-in was very friendly and efficient. The main public rooms of the hotel were an interesting mix of old and new so it looks like this hotel was an older building which has been updated with some modern touches. I booked a Superior room and I did question whether we had been given the wrong accommodation, but was told that this was indeed the Superior room. The room itself was a good size but in desperate need of a refurbishment. It doesn't need much, just some new bed linen instead of the rather worn and old fashioned stuff that is there now, a lick of paint on the walls and a flat screen TV would do it. However, the bathroom was newly fitted out although it was very small and a bit tight. I did wonder, however, about the sprinkler pipe running the length of the ceiling which if you were over 6 foot tall would probably slice your head open so I felt that there was a bit of an OHS issue there. The corridors and hallways also need updating. I did try to find pictures of the rooms at this hotel on the internet but there are none available (not even on the hotel's own brochure) and I think I know why. The Manager responded to my request for feedback and has stated that the hotel will embark on a upgrade to the rooms so if that does happen then I would definitely recommend the hotel. It's probably one of the better hotels in Greymouth where there isn't a lot of choice for top quality accommodation if you want something central and near the station.

Reviewed March 1, 2011

We did not pay very much for the accommodation (<NZ$100) so we were not expecting high standards. But what I found was below any standards of most people. Found a dead spider in the bathtub and two live ones crawling on the ceiling during the night. As you can imagine my sleep during the night was not comfortable. Definitely would not stay in that accommodation next time around.

Reviewed February 24, 2011

Having said that we arrived in very grey wet weather on our way up the west coast to Nelson so we only stayed the night. The hotel is possibly the best place to stay in Greymouth and some of the rooms probalby do need refurbishing. We had a good sized room with clean and comfortable beds and a spotless and new shower room. It was the sprinkler system that caused us the most amusement - a pipe running the length of the room 6" from the ceiling. Giving other comments we'd read before going we decided to eat in the restaurant which only does a buffet on Saturdays but it was surprisingly good.

Reviewed February 21, 2011

As regulars to Greymouth, we decided that for a Friends wedding we would stay somewhere different, and yes it was different. Firstly when we arrived, the Receptionist casually came out to book us in, she that advised us that we needed to give her credit card details, i questioned this as the room had already been paid for, she said that as stated in their policy it was required for incidentials, not that our room had a mini bar, I didn't have the card on me so i asked if i could bring it in, in the morning. She rudley stated "No, it has to be now". I then asked where we could park our car, she said unload here and there is a carpark up the road about a block, As the hotel is fairly big and in different part I asked how to find our room, I was told - its out the back. A map on the desk would have been nice. The room was small, parts of it was clean. But in no way was it soundproof, you could hear the trucks and buses start up very early next morning, as well as the bathroom activities from our neighbours. The bathroom was awful, the toilet would stay on once flushed, the rubber mat which we were adivsed to use, wouldn't stick and in the end was dangerous, and the bathroom had mould. On checking out the Lady on reception was different from the check in one, but of the same attiitude. On handing back the room key she looked at me blankly and said i could go now. Our friends who got married also stayed there (who are locals) found it disappointing as well.