Recreation Hotel
Travelocity
Coleraine(Greymouth)
$120
$104
Greymouth KIWI Holiday Park & Motels(Greymouth)(Great Value!)
$71
$69
$100
All reviewsbar mealshuge portionsfish and chipslindacoast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 24, 2012

After arriving in Greymouth after a long day of driving, we were referred to Buccleugh's on High for dinner. This restaurant gave us the best service we received in our 3 week holiday in NZ.
The chefs on the night (Muresh and Ronny) were run off their feet catering to the continual flow of guests through the door. That says a lot to me, that "word of mouth marketing" has this establishment buzzing with business. The new summer menu had just been released and the food was sensational. I congratulate Mark and Linda and their staff for offering locals, business travellers and tourists, a restaurant of excellence, that far exceeded our expectations. Well done!!
We too are telling others!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Elliottsx2
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I'm now a local but I stayed here when I was transferring as my workplace uses it a lot. Found the staff very friendly and approachable and the facilities were comfortable. Can't say what went wrong for the other reviewers but I have to say that to get a great meal the whole town knows to go to their restaurant, Buccleughs on High. Prices are about average for a good NZ restaurant and the meals, especially the steaks, are very good. However, if you order in their pub you get a pub meal which doesn't get the same love and care. Overall a very pleasant experience, and we still use it for our staff on a very regular basis.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I didnt have internet access in New Zealand, and if I had, I probably wouldn't have stayed here after reading the previous 2 reviews.

We however didn't receive as bad an experience.

The motel accommodation was dated, but fine. Our room at the far end had difficulty receiving a good internet signal, but the nice owner said they are going to be installing more transmitters soon.

We had dinner in the bar linked to the restaurant. They had an excellent selection of beers, and we drank our way through the full range local Monteiths beer.

My food was good, I had the roast special for $17, but my fiancee ordered the 'lasagne toppers', which was a little unusual!

Overall, fine for a stopover for one night if you are passing through town.

Room Tip: Get a room closest to the restaurant end if internet service is important to you.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul S
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I was referred here by a well meaning motel owner. The food was absolutely shocking- actually inedible, oredered the lamb drum, as tough as an old boot, ate 2 or 3 bites-yuk!!! and didn't eat it- no flavour at all either, not cheap either- $32 for whitebait patties which were crap, as we were still hungry we went for desert which was also expensive and very average.....$130 for two crap meals and a couple of drinks- Talk about RIP OFF, give this one a miss, we definately will if we are ever that way again.......

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2010

After arriving in greymouth after long day, asked where I could get a good meal and unfortunately well meaning motel owner directred me up the road to RECREATION HOTEL. Walked in got a beer as you do, then went to little window to order my meal. Selected the Rump steak for 20 something dollars. Asked if I wanted vegies or chips with it, I asked for both and was prepared to pay extra. NO! she tells me it is either one or the other. Ok give me the vegies. Can I have pepper sauce on the steak? NO! you can have gravy but that's it. Ok, give me the gravy. Looking at the locals getting theirmeals and I was getting excited. Meal arrived grumpy woman yelled out to me. I went over got the meal and guess what...very limited vegies very small steak and NO GRAVY. I went back to eat the steak and it was as tough as boots. Obviously locals get lookedafter travellers or ring ins get the crap. I will not spend any money there on our next trip back to NZ. Only place in NZ I was dissapointed with. Everywhere else was sensational. RECREATION HOTEL ...You are letting the tourism drive for NZ down.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple