“Greymouth Kiwi Holiday Park (formerly South Beach Motel and Motor Park)”

Greymouth KIWI Holiday Park & Motels
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Greymouth
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Great place to stay! Super friendly owners who give "the personal touch". Steve and Linda know a huge amount about the West Coast and can advise you on all the fun things to see and do, from combing the beach just behind the holiday park for greenstone to all the best places to eat and best attractions to see. They have both visited and experienced all the attractions, restaurants, walks etc. themselves so have firsthand knowledge of how good they are. The prices are very reasonable here and it's right on the beautiful beach. Highly recommend to stay here.

Room Tip: Great choices between either the self contained rooms or the standard cabins where you can use the l...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
SouthBeachNZ, Owner at Greymouth KIWI Holiday Park & Motels, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay. We like being able to help people enjoy all of the wonders and sights of our area. There is so much to see and sometimes a little guidance helps with decisions when you have limited time. Hope to see you again sometime.
Linda and Steve

There are newer reviews for Greymouth KIWI Holiday Park & Motels

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The Park is a Part of Kiwi Holiday Park. There is no price information in the office. We had to pay for an infant (under 1 year). It was the first time we paid for our baby, and we are travelling around new zealand since 5 weeks. The staff was very unfriendly regarding our infant.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank nztraveller2012ger
SouthBeachNZ, Owner at Greymouth KIWI Holiday Park & Motels, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Thank you for your feedback.

When you check into a park in New Zealand it is a legal requirement for the park owners to know exactly how many people are staying in the park (adults, children and infants), in case there is an emergency. On forgetting to mention your son, and checking in two adults, I was very surprised to see your son standing at the window of your campervan the next morning, while I had just said good morning to you and your wife in the camp kitchen. This is not the way we should find out that you have a child travelling with you.

We do charge a fee for adults, children and infants as this covers our costs and this would have been outlined at check in with the right information given.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

The last review about the free internet made me laugh... can't please some people can you. It's not the owner's fault if travellers decide to rely on information that is two years out of date.

Anyway, our seconds stop in the South Island. We were greeted by a lovely lady, who I think was the owner. She was chatting away for ages, suggesting things to do, telling us about the kiwi park discount and details on the spa and walking to the beach. Very helpful, she even explained we could have discount off our stay if we had a kiwi park membership and we could use it at other kiwi parks during our stay... no pressure gave us the booklet, said we could think about it over night and she would still apply the discount in the morning.

Park itself if really nice. Surrounded by lots of nice greenery and literally backs onto the beach. We went for a walk on the beach just before dusk and it was amazing, pounding waves and just complete peace and quiet.

We booked a powered site for our campervan. Nice area with the van being able to park on a gravel patch.

The facilities were well maintained and clean, including kitchen and toilet. There is also a dump station which was good.

I can't think of anything bad to say, would definitely recommend this place. It's cheaper than a lot of campsites in New Zealand and certainly one of the nicest we stayed in and we travelled the whole country :)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
SouthBeachNZ, Owner at Greymouth KIWI Holiday Park & Motels, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Hi. Thank you very much for your review and thank you for letting us know that you had a good stay with us. It is nice to hear from guests that are happy with their stay at our park and our service. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels. Linda and Steve

Reviewed May 1, 2012

We came to this place on the recommendation of the Sept 2010 Lonely Planet. It said they had free internet. We got there and we were told that the internet had a charge something like 2 or 5 dollars and hour and that instead of $30 it was now $35 for a powered site. When we mentioned that the book said different, we were told our book was 3 years out of date, so which I mentioned that it was published Sept 2010. To this she said the Lonely Planet had been asked to update it (This is a common excuse in places like Vietnam, & I never believed it then either). We let it go and checked in.

The next morning we were running a little late. Check out was at 10am. The owner came into the bathroom said something like "I’m hosing¨ which I didn’t understand and thought she meant that she was cleaning the bathroom, so I said ok. 2 minutes later she came in shouting telling me to turn off the shower, and if I didnt she would throw a bucket of water into the shower. To be clear it was 10:15 when I left the shower. When I was back at the van she came over to discuss it, and I asked her if she thought her attitude to a customer was acceptable. She said we weren’t following the rules and she only ever has problems with people who don’t follow the rules, my response was, its 10:15am and are you kidding me? Her response was "well we close the facilities at 10am so I can clean" (she closes them between 10am-12pm, "if you want I can charge more and hire a clean". My girlfriend got a similar response in the kitchen (which also closes for 2 hours). The owner has no concept of customer service and customers seem like an inconvenience to her. I will make sure that if I am ever back in Greymouth I will make sure not to inconvenience this person.

Room Tip: Avoid the owner, seems nice but is a bit odd
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank IrishRTW
SouthBeachNZ, Owner at Greymouth KIWI Holiday Park & Motels, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

You are a man of your word. You promised a bad review when you left and have delivered one.
You came to stay with us (2012) and upon checking in found that some of the information in your September 2010 Lonely Planet Guide was incorrect. We did have quite a lengthy conversation about the fact that we do not have free internet (and have not had for 4 years) and also the fact that the powered site was $35 when your book said $30 per night. If you recall I explained that the staff from Lonely Planet had recently visited (the first time in 7 years). They apologised on behalf of the Lonely Planet for the incorrect information in their book and also apologised for the guests arriving expecting free internet when there was none on offer (and hadn’t been for 4 years). If you did not believe this explanation I do not understand why you decided to stay. Why bring this up now after you have left?
I would just like to offer a little advice when you are next travelling, even though I would have thought experienced travellers like you and your partner would have known this already. When travelling around the world, be it New Zealand, Vietnam or any other country, when you arrive there is FREE up to date information on all activities and accommodation at the airport, I-sites, accommodation providers and most of the activity centres also have this information. If you collect this at the start of your travel in whichever country you arrive in it will prevent you from being disgruntled about prices and information you have from a book that is published in 2010 (and you have to pay for it).
When you checked in you signed a registration form which says you agree to check out by 10.00 a.m. and we even had a discussion about this at the time of check in. If you want to stay later, you are more than welcome to come up to the office and discuss this. The time is clearly signposted outside the kitchen and ablution block – CLOSED between 10.00 and 12.00 for cleaning. (we do not hide this fact – it is there for everyone to see so there are no surprises).
I was running a bit late the morning you have mentioned and did not arrive down to the park until 10.15 a.m. I suppose if I was on time you wouldn’t have had the chance to get in the shower at all and would have been even more disgruntled. At least you got to get clean. The first two requests for you to get out of the shower were quite polite. A “sorry” and “I will get straight out” would have been the right answer, not (give me a few minutes!). On the third request you clearly had no intention of getting out so for the fourth request I had to think of something to say to get you out of the shower. If I was using the facilities after closing time (without previous arrangement with the management) and someone came and asked me to get out, I would have said “sorry” and got out, not say I will just be a few minutes and have to be asked 4 times.
You and your partner were the only people in the park using the kitchen, showers and still had your campervan plugged into the power after 10.00 a.m. The other two guests that were using the kitchen were asked to finish up as it was after closing time. They said sorry and packed their food up and left. It was only you and your partner that had a problem with the clearly marked closing times of the facilities and your obvious special need to have a different check out time to everyone else in the park.
You also made a comment about the kitchen being closed for 2 hours. That really shouldn’t be of concern to you as you booked in for one night and if you had checked out at 10.00 a.m. with all the other guests it doesn’t really matter how long the kitchen is closed. Check in is 1.00 p.m. and the kitchen is all clean and ready to go by then.
We enjoy what we do and enjoy meeting people from all walks of life and countries (as we have done a lot of travelling ourselves). We are people just trying to do an honest day’s work and providing people with clean and tidy facilities for all of our guests so they have an enjoyable stay, which I think the majority have. We are sorry that you did not have a pleasant experience but unfortunately some people we cannot please because unless they are doing what they want to do when they want to do it, rather than respecting clearly marked guidelines, we will never be doing the right thing in their eyes, so no enjoyable stay for them.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

I'm one for first impressions and what a wonderful welcome. Owner had a great sense of humour and if I was so exhausted I would have stayed and chatted for longer. I stayed in a cabin and it did smell a bit musty but then I understand the floods that happened in the area in the past and the Kingsgate is 100 times worse! Large cabin in a group of three. Another traveler had a dog and it barked quite a bit but there was I wasn't going to go to the owners at 1am to complain. Clean, tidy facilities. Road noise a little loud but you know right from the start its beside the main road. Cheap for approx $50 and I got what I paid for.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
SouthBeachNZ, Owner at Greymouth KIWI Holiday Park & Motels, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2012

Hi. Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed our service. We enjoy what we do and meeting people from all walks of life and countries.

You did have a couple of concerns and I would like to address these.

Firstly, I am sorry that you found the cabin musty. This smell was actually the brand new carpet that had been laid. This carpet had been laid about a week before your stay and we had the unit aired every day. We did have another cabin available (that had older carpet) if you had come to see us with your concerns at the time.

Secondly. We are a dog friendly motel and motor park, and everyone that brings their dog has a list of dog rules to abide by, one being considerate towards other guests. I am sure if you had gone and seen the dog owners directly they would have endeavoured to quieten their dog. I suppose if they are not aware that their dog a bother to other guests, they cannot do something about it.

We hope that if you do chose to stay here again that you come to us with any concerns at the time of you stay so we have the opportunity to sort it out immediately.

Reviewed March 24, 2012

I have stayed at quite a few holiday parks during my six months of traveling in New Zealand. This was definitely the best, mainly because the owners were SO friendly and accommodating. It was also nice to have a spa on site and a beach right behind the campsite. I definitely recommend this park!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo

Hi. Thank you very much for your comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and hope you have the opportunity to come back some other time.

Reviewed March 15, 2012

We stayed for one night, wished it could have be longer. The 2 bedroomed unit was large and well equipped, even with its own garden. It was spotlessly clean and the owner very helpful and friendly. The position of the motel was right by the beach - what more could you want. Thank you

Room Tip: Ask for the 2 bedroomed unit with the garden and you wont be disappointed
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends