“Fresh and delicious”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Fresh and delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

Wow. Beautiful fresh sushi made before your eyes. This delicious meal was expertly prepared and served. The waitress was friendly and made selection of various options simple. She was attentive but not intrusive. The restaurant was tidy and very clean. Top job.

1 Thank waynefmarriott

Whangarei, New Zealand
“High quality authentic house made Japanese sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

Whangarei is rife with sushi bars, mostly owned by Chinese and Koreans, making rice slab with various meats served with instant soy sauce....which are non-authentic and frustratingly boring. After my mother told me about Eagle Sushi Bar that it was very good but very expensive, I visited this place myself, and became their regular customers since.

Located in Kensington shops near Deli Roast (also excellent) and the famous and highly rated and praised Suk Jai Thai Restaurant is this little sushi bar. From the outside, it looks no different from other plethora boring non-authentic sushi bars which are rife in this small city. But as soon as I walked inside, I was greeted by lovely Japanese lady Kayo-san. Her friendly, polite, and humble Japanese manner made me realize that I have finally walked into the sushi shop owned by the Japanese. Indeed, Shigeru the owner is an excellent sushi chef and Ineko the wife is a gracious lady who is as gracious and hospitable as the famous Japanese hosts can be. Their sushi selection extensive, authentic, and absolutely delicious. My favorites are Chorizo with mayonnaise inside-out, tempura roll inside-out, and sweet egg nigiri. In fact, I feel that Whangarei is so lucky to have a Japanese eatery of such a high standard.

Last December my brother visited me from overseas. He is in a rice business and has tasted all kinds of rice, from best to worst, most expensive to cheapest. I of course brought him to this sushi place to surprise him that Whangarei has such a great eatery. Once he tasted the rice at Eagle Sushi, he told me that the rice they used are various mixtures of top quality rice, and this is why their sushi is so soft and so appetizing. He said although the prices Eagle Sushi charges are higher than other sushi places (their prices are cheaper than restaurants but little bit more expensive than most sushi bars), their costs are much higher and the prices we pay are very good value. Upon my next visit I passed my brother's words to Ineko the lady owner, and she told me that she feels so happy that their meticulousness in finding top quality products to offer to Whangarei locals have not been a waste and have not gone unnoticed, as she was, from time to time, feels disappointed that many people ignore their sushi because of the "prices" and not willing to pay a bit more to have a taste of a sushi made from top quality superior products.

I wish to leave Eagle Sushi my best kept secret, but after a second thought, I should tell the world that there is yet a very delicious sushi bar serving restaurant quality authentic Japanese taste sushi and Japanese meals hidden in this small New Zealand city. Although the prices are a bit higher than most sushi bars, the quality they offer is far superior. Sushi and rice dishes made fresh to order with top quality ingredients and the most hospitable Japanese owners who will remember you and treat you like their best friends. If you are willing to pay a bit more for the authentic Japanese experience, you will come to appreciate the quality Eagle Sushi Bar offers. And if you are after quality, try this place, and like many others, you will be surprised with how little extra money you pay to Eagle Sushi will buy something of such higher quality and better taste, and you are unlikely to ever go back to other sushi places in this city again.

• Visited May 2014