“Let down by details”

Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in Whangarei
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Let down by details”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

To give the positives first, the staff were all friendly and helpful. The room was bland but comfortably furnished and everything was spotlessly clean. Bathroom was tiny with no room for toiletries except the floor, but fittings appeared new and reasonable quality. The aircon was functional, but too noisy for nighttime use.
There were quite a few negatives, though. No selection of teas - just English breakfast. Helpful minibar menu, but no minibar! Food menu looked inviting. I am not usually a breakfast person, but was tempted by the vege option, which included avocado, but got there and found that none of those options were actually available. Same in the evening. Went for a walk and arrived back looking forward to a light meal of potato with grilled cheese and sour cream. Got to restaurant to find again that none of the menu options were available. Only option was a full buffet meal at $36. If I'd known that I would have had a snack meal in town, but couldn't be bothered going out again, so did without.
Overall a very disappointing stay, mainly due to poor communication. Definitely wouldn't recommend., which is a shame because it certainly has potential and I did appreciate the friendly staff.

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay, ask for room which has a window which can be opened and closed and, if you...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I wasn't expecting much from a hotel in Whangarei but I'm happy to say I was pleasantly surprised by the Discovery Settlers.

I booked the top room type, an Executive Studio. The room was very modern with good furnishings and very clean and tidy. I didn't even notice an scuff marks or dents in the walls from bags etc, so big ups to the maintenance man. The room was in the front block with views over the lawn to the river area beyond. I think it was advertised as a river view room but we couldn't see the river because of the trees so a little misleading there. Bathroom was new and everything worked well. The balcony runs the entire length of the building so you could possibly have people walking past your room and looking in, not that anyone did.

When I checked in the clerk wasn't really interested or welcoming, and was a bit abrupt when advising dinner service would end at 8.00pm, which was only five minutes away. No offer to hold it for us while we put our bags away or anything. I had read the restaurant was quite good but when we checked the menu, it wasn't too appealing and was quite expensive so we ate in town. We were also due a free newspaper and internet with the room but wasn't given either option when checking in. I would have asked if I wanted it of course, but if it's included in what I've paid for, it should be noted and offered when checking in.

So all in all, the rooms are really good. If the check in was even a little more improved, I would have given five stars for sure.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2014

our daughter was married on sat 08/02/14, couldn't have asked for better weather, a fabulous day which only got better when we arrived at the reception.
Rick & his team did a superb job of organising the reception. we could not have asked for (or received) a better venue. The tables were laid out beautifully, the food Awesome, the waiting staff very polite & helpful.
Rick made our day worry free (except the bit about loosing a daughter) we had several quick meetings before the event to make sure we were happy with the proceedings and I must say both my wife & I were very impressed with the way everything went, even down to looking after the wedding gifts for the night so we could come back to collect them the next morning instead of worrying about it on the night.
thanks again Rick.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We had our wedding here on 25 January and due to Rick and his staff and the beautiful venue, it was even more special. Rick was our point of contact and kept in contact prior to the actual day. Nothing was too much for him and his staff, and they ensured that stress levels were almost non existent. The venue was beautiful and getting married in the garden was magical. As for the food - wow! Lots of rave reviews from our guests. Trust me no one went hungry. Highly highly recommend the Settlers for any special occasion.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed one night at the Discovery Settlers Motel, which we discovered at last minute via internet. We had a room at the second row of the motel which didn't have any views but was very quiet instead. The front rooms might get a bit noisy due to traffic. Our room was newly renovated, had a super-large TV (almost oversized), a comfortable bed and everything you could ask for at this rate. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington NZ
Reviewed January 13, 2014

This hotel was very easy to find, it is on the twin coast highway, but not on the state highway so there was no noticeable traffic noise. The room was a good size for the price and very clean. The breakfast was very nice too. Staff were helpful and told us of restaurants in Whangarei that they recommended, as the hotel's restaurant was closed due to the holidays. So head down to Quality Street in the city for a variety of different ethnic restaurants!

I would say that the hotel has been recently been refurbished as everything was very new and modern. There was even a small jug provided to fill up the kettle. I noted that another reviewer mentioned that this was required due to the small size of the hand basin, so it is great that the hotel has taken action on this.

We would definitely stay again. There were lots of families staying when we were there, so it is a great family place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I recently held my wedding reception at the Discovery Settlers, we were over the moon with the food the staff and all family that stayed were very happy with their rooms. I would not hesitate to recommend this as a venue Rick was very helpful with all the preparations and making sure our day went off with out a problem.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family