“Was a great hostel that made me feel like home”
Review of Bunkdown Lodge

Bunkdown Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whangarei
Bunkdown Lodge
“Was a great hostel that made me feel like home”
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

We found this place by chance. We were shocked to realize that this is a huge home, nice, clean and with alot of stuff to do. The owners were just amazing - made me feel like I am home. I am just sorry we stayed for one night. I would totally recommend it to anyone passing by on the way north or back south. Yuval

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

When we arrived at Bunkdown, we were actually greeted outside in our car and personally shown to a parking space, we were then taken inside, given the tour and asked to complete the paperwork - all fine so far.

After doing the paperwork and handing over our money, we were given our bed sheets to make the bed, which in 14 months of backpacking this was the first time we'd been asked to make our bed!
So we head off to our room to find that the room has no lock!! Again this is a first in 14 months of travelling.

The room itself was ok, although very dated and very cold - no heater that I could see. I guess we could have asked but we arrived quite late and so was late by the time we went to bed.

All in all the whole place was very dated and in need of a very thorough clean - it was very grubby and grimy throughout, so much so that I was reluctant to use the bathrooms or cook!

Was bearable for our one night stay but both agreed if we had booked two nights we would have rather lost the money and stayed somewhere else!

• Stayed November 2013
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Location
Located to a big but road which goes through Whanagarei. A lot of parking slots.

Stuff
When I was there, there was an friendly and charming couple who managed the backpackers while the real owner was abroad. They are nice conversation partners and you should try their kifer!

Cleaness
It was okay if you stay only some nights. But for a longer stay it would annoy you or at least me. The whole place needs im my opinion a big cleaning.

Livingroom
It has two livingrooms. Both with TV and kitchen directly connected.

Kitchen
There is everything you need to make a nice meal! Maybe some of the utilities are old, but at least they worked.

Wi-Fi
No Wi-Fi. There is a very old computer which you can use to go online. But a lot of common websites worked badly because the browser doesn't support flash and so on.

Heater
Most rooms include electronic blankets and you will need them so hard! I also used a hot water bootle to stay warm during night. The rooms are very bad isolated like it is common in NZ. But you don't have to freeze. Ask the friendly stuff for a hot water bootle and enjoy your sweet dreams!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed July 2, 2013

All in all this hostel can be described as 'not bad'. I was taken in at first by the charm of the old ornaments and the owners were friendly. Peter was a little too forceful about the bird recovery centre though so we went reluctantly. We found we enjoyed it in the end but were still a bit resentful that we'd almost been made to go. As others have said, there are animal hairs all over the place. I found some on my towel and my pillow which was a bit disgusting. There's no locks on the doors so bring a padlock for your things as there were no lockers either. Also bring your warmest clothes as apart from the rooms and the lounge, the house isn't heated. In fact, a couple of days it was warmer outside than in! This was still in Autumn too.
Good points were that it was so quiet and the lounge is very cosy in the evening. The beds were comfortable and the bathrooms were clean (apart from the shower mats which stank of feet and were never dry). They also pick you up from town for free. I'd recommend staying here for a few nights but no more.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Zaandam, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 21, 2013

It's not the cleanest place with the dog and cat hairs all over the place, but let's not forget it's a backpackers lodge! The villa offers good beds, free internet, free towels and sheets, 2 kitchens and enough toilet/bath facillities. And it has good hosts (Peter and Noelle)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rien_-_Nancy
Tutukaka, New Zealand
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Hostel is run by a elderly couple, is really tidy and realy clean as well!
There is nothing bad about this hostel as a nightstay and if you're a BBH Member it's even a not bad price... Peter, the hosteldad is realy a bit too hard looking on some rules and even he is very nice most time he looks a bit strange at you if you're not a kind of conservative and dont fit into his little bit narrowminded world. some times he can get a bit nasty.
After all I saw there and I felt on my own... I would NOT sleep there again.
Not because I didn't liked it there, but I think they don't realy wanna have travelers there anymore.. even they dont say, they make you feel a bit.
Sad but true :(
hopefully there will set up another hostel instead wich is a bit more backpacker-friendly and not that conservative.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Quite a walk from town and it's an uphill and downhill walk. They do offer pick up and drop off at the bus station.
2 Fully equipped kitchens so you can cook up a storm if you want to.
Tidy & clean but yes, you still get dog's hairs around.
Toilets and bathrooms are clean.
No free internet.