“An artist's paradise!”

Whangarei Quarry Gardens
Ranked #1 of 56 things to do in Whangarei
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Whangarei Quarry Gardens is a subtropical oasis created by volunteers in the remnants of a former quarry in Northland, New Zealand. The Gardens are open to the public and feature subtropical gardens, native forest walks, waterfalls, streams, quarry ruins, tunnels, a scented Camellia collection, a plethora of NZ native and exotic plant species and so much more... The Gardens are a work in progress and have been created through the blood, sweat, tears and laughter of volunteers, supporting companies and other interest groups. Entry is by GOLD-COIN DONATION, with all proceeds used to purchase plants and equipment. Thanks!
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I love, love, love the Quarry Gardens! My kids and I have taken many art classes there....from painting to sculpting. I love the hippy/artist commune feel of it and every time I'm there, I'm overwhelmed with creative energy.

Whangarei_Gardens, Manager at Whangarei Quarry Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2014

Many thanks for the positive review!

However, I have a feeling that you have us confused with the wonderful Quarry Arts Centre in Selwyn Ave, Whangarei :) Don't worry, it happens often (the 'Quarry' is a bit confusing), you are welcome at both organisations anytime! They are our favourite neighbours (we are connected by a 45 minute bush walk) and they do a wonderful job for our creative community :)

All the best, we hope to see you in the Gardens soon! -WQG Crew

Reviewed December 18, 2013

A garden formed by volunteers from an old quarry. Truly splendid combination of native bush walks and scented flowers .The lake at the top(a five minute walk) is a peaceful and beautiful spot for lunch or morning and afternoon tea. Don't pass through whangarei and miss this. It is easy to find and just a one minute drive off the western bypass.

Many thanks for your positive review! We love our Gardens and are very proud of our volunteers' efforts. Summer is coming! See you soon -WQG Crew

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I just love the quarry gardens. I wish my mum was still alive to '''enjoy'''' it.
There were no cafes and unsure about toilets but that is all this place needs. There are scented gardens for the blind easy walking tracks and the walk all around the lake is WOW'
An afternoon delight

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Really worth stopping for a walk through these gorgeous gardens. So many surprises there too. It is in a good location and not to far from the main road.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is an excellent example of a garden created by volunteers. The road there is a little off the beaten track but the garden is worth a visit. It was made from an old quarry, and continues to be improved - all done by volunteers. A series of tracks lead off the carpark, the main one leads to a lake with a waterfall. There are side tracks that lead to higher ground, offering good views of the garden. Subtropical plants thrive there due to the local microclimate (and the skills of the volunteers).