“Maybe it was just me, but I didn't like the food.”
Review of Fat Camel

Fat Camel
Ranked #2 of 138 Restaurants in Whangarei
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Casual dining for breakfast, lunch or dinner, cafe with off street outdoor seating. Fresh, healthy and tasty Israeli food. Plenty to offer no matter what your dietary requirements, be it meat lover, vegetarian, vegan, or gluten free. Friendly atmosphere, counter service during the day and waiter service from 6pm. Park in Vine Street Car-park or on Cameron and walk through to Quality Street.
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Like the title said, maybe it was just me, but I did not enjoy their food. I ordered their chicken main (about $19.00) and the staffs are very lovely. I couldn't fault them. I asked for their recommendations and they said I should try this chicken main. It comes with yellow rice and lots of various vegetables in a sour dressing. It tastes okay but I found the flavours limited (chicken and rice are salty and vegetables are sour). It was not bad. I could finish the dish, but I did not really enjoy them.

But as I said I believe this is just me, because my comment seems to be in the minority, and I completely agree with other reviewers that the staffs here are friendly and amazing. In fact their friendliness is so impressive I just could not be honest and tell them that I did not enjoy what I ordered that much, for the fear that it would hurt their feelings. Maybe I ordered the wrong dish, but I am sure if I want to go back and give another dish a try.

The décor is basic and the place seems to be very busy every time I walk pass. So just take my review with a grain of salt and give this place a try anyway. Despite my neutral impression of the food I ordered my overall impression of Fat Camel is positive due to its amazing staffs. But when you didn't really enjoy the food you can't really give the restaurant a very high score. I am so sorry Fat Camel if my review offended you :(

Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Wow what divine food !! We shared a platyer and the food was so tasty !!! The service was brilliant even though they were busy. Its a small little restaurant and well worth a visit !!!!!

Reviewed April 23, 2014

The food was great. 2 little boys loved it. It was maybe a little pricey as it was more of a cafe than restaurant. But very friendly staff.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Went here with family based on trip advisor reviews. If you are after a place where you would usually get takeaways but would rather dine in for a change then this is probably where you would go. It's casual, basic, a little slack and overpriced for what is basic food. Half the menu is pita pockets which although were okay are not what we really want when out for dinner. Not much service. Not saying it was bad, just that all the 5 star reviews led us to expect a better quality of experience.

1  Thank mares71
Reviewed April 19, 2014

This place was recommended to us for the great coffee, but we went back the next day for a meal. The staff were friendly and helpful and made us feel very welcome.
The food was really nice - it is Middle Eastern style and was delicious with good portion sizes. I ended up having lunch there three days in a row and coffee four days.
I would recommend this as a great place all round - food, coffee, service, prices and relaxed atmosphere.