“dreadful”

Whangarei Holiday Houses Accommodation
Whangarei Holiday Houses Accommodation
Ranked #26 of 29 Whangarei B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We booked this house from the UK for a 2 night stay whilst travelling around New Zealand for the trip of a life time that we had been planning as a group for nearly 2 years.
On arrival the house was full of flies and smelt unpleasant “like a butchers”
On closer inspection we discovered an old meal still left in the microwave, obviously unclean bedding, old food left in the freezer and the fridge had obviously not been cleaned for a number of weeks. The oven was frankly disgraceful and the storage cupboards had dead flies and other insects and had clearly never been wiped or cleaned.
Added to this the sofa, dining room chairs and bathroom mats and shower tray were stained and dirty.
The house was advertised as a four bedroom house but at no time was it made clear that the 4th bedroom was created by putting up a partition wall in the garage that didn’t even reach the ceiling.
The house was not as advertised and the standard of cleanliness was so poor that we didn’t feel that we could actually stay there.
The customer service when we contacted the owner was substandard and in fact so bad that we felt that we had to go somewhere else as the property was so unsatisfactory. We wanted a base in Whangarei as one of our party was diving the poor knights island and we were then forced to spend the afternoon searching for new accommodation that could accommodate all 7 of us .We paid out an extra 700 dollars for different clean accommodation and lost a precious day of our holiday. Neither AA travel or the house manager were willing to accept our grievances & refund any of our money
If you are looking at this property then keep looking and find somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
RarotongaBeachHouse, Manager at Whangarei Holiday Houses Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Same person same review, but of a scratched record. Check out response on the other review.
Brits abroad sorry we don't adhere to blackmail attempts. Problem with this site people can write whatever they like even though its grossly misleading.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

We asked if we could arrive a bit earlier at this accommodation and was told by Mike around 12.30 was ok. When we arrived we were met by Shelly who showed us in : there were around 20 to 30 flies buzzing round the living room Shelly said because it's been warm, whilst shelly was helping sort the telly there was a real funny smell in the house we found a meal still left in the microwave! we decided to leave and come back to give shelly time to sort so we went to the shop to buy cleaning products. When we went back shelly had left: If you are happy to rent this accommodation that has a rusty dirty microwave, a fridge that has old scraps of food in and is absolutely unhygienic on the inside, an oven that had old food scraps inside, a downstairs bathroom shower screen needs a good scrub, downstairs bedroom had hairs in the bed. Cupboards that are full of dust and dead bugs. That was just the downstairs!! I rung shelly and stressed our disappointment she told us it was a self cleaning house - I asked well if the people who are in it previously have not cleaned it then who is it down to assure the next tenants arrive at a clean house, shelly said the cleaners would clean it, well who is responsible for the cleaners? shelly said they are!! We left to find alternative accommodation and wasted a day of our 2 day holiday stopover. Mike was not at all bothered about customer satisfaction or how disappointed we were he asked us to go back and go over what we thought wasn't right with the house - we stressed we had wasted enough of our precious holiday time. He told us blankly we would not get our money back as he could have rented this 20 times over!! He also tried to say it's because we asked to check in earlier!! What a cop Out it would take more than 1.5 hour to clean that house!! I said if you think the cleanliness of the house is at a good standard then your standards are totally in a different class to mine. We found alternative house for the 7 of us paying an extra 700 dollars. I emailed AA Travel who we booked this through and who took our money with photo's of everything I have stated. They sent a quick reply to say sorry we have to decline your refund due to the T&C's!!!!! I have since sent another email and our Cousin who lives in New Zealand is currently trying to get some answers for us - What a total disappointment we planned this trip for 2 years you just don't need someone like Mike who was very unsympathetic to the whole situation!!!!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Tracey R
RarotongaBeachHouse, Manager at Whangarei Holiday Houses Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

I never dealt with this group directly. They phoned me as they wanted to arrive 2 hours early. I said I would try but we have just had a group of 20 people leave that morning. it would depend on whether the house was ready or not.
When they arrived Shelly was just finishing off a few minor things in the kitchen (so wasn't quite ready)
When I was alerted to this situation. I went straight around but could not see anything wrong with the place and definitely no smell .
I rang them and spoke to a women at around 2pm and asked what the problem was?
She made exorbitant comments about the property which was just quite frankly not factual.
I asked if she could come around and show me because I just couldn't see what she was talking about (not unreasonable, it was their check in time they asked for anyway) and we could of sort out any issues.
She refused and said see is getting a refund from AA travel (our booking agent).
I said that I can't see anything here that constitutes to a refund at this short notice, I said we have held the booking for over 11 months and could have let it 20 times over at this time of year.
I received an email a few day later from AA travel saying their refund had been declined.
I was then called by this women saying if I didn't refund they would write bad feedback all over the internet.
I didn't think they would but have seen this on TA.

Just recently I have received (from AA travel) photographs of the property sent to AA in an attempt to entice a refund. Never shown to us by these people for obvious reasons.
• No pictures of the flies
• No pictures of a plate of food in the microwave.
• No food scraps in the fridge.
• No pictures of the supposedly dirty stove or Kitchen cupboards
• No pictures of the shower that needed a good scrub.

Obviously they would have been taken if they were in that state.

Photos taken:
• The Microwave: It is old but still works well, clean but discolored under the glass plate . They left the glass plate in so the photo made it look dirty. If they took the plate out it would have been quite obvious that it wasn't food scraps.
• The Cupboards: 1 cupboard picture. We have a storage cupboard in the laundry which we have cleaning products, laundry powder, dustpan, Iron, second jug etc. They removed everything except the jug to make it look like a kitchen cupboard, looks clean just one small dead beetle on the lower shelf (where did that little dude come from)
• The Shower Glass door: Clean but has a different colored plastic strip at the bottom of the door (shower was clean) photo taken of door strip at a distance to make it look dirty (just the color of the strip).
• Inside the Fire place: It has a glass latched door. Who would want to use this at this time of years 28 C + at this time of year.
• The bed: We are careful and do make our beds a certain way only one bed was touched who knows what has happened here (first complaint in 7 years).
• The top of fridge: A 2 minute job as I said just a few minor things to do.
My only assuming is they had a change of plans or found another alternative and thought they could cancel and have resorted to this because the refund was declined

We could do nothing to prevent this situation from happening but tried.

Viewers should look at other websites that we have been actively involved with over the years for a more accurate review.
Yes and if you are going to try out this place please put your thoughts up on this site also.
I can even show you the photos when your here so you can see it for yourself.