“a fantastic day out”
Review of Kamo Wildlife Sanctuary - CLOSED

Kamo Wildlife Sanctuary
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Great to see the park in real life. Staff were super friendly and craig "the lion man" couldnt have been more welcoming and willing to chat to us all. We went on the feeding tour which was absolutly amazing. Great way to end a trip of a life time. Ten out of ten

5  Thank corrie153

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a tour of Kingdom of Zion and our tour guides explained the Histroy of the park, how the animals live, and answered our questions. The tour was very interesting, and we saw lots of Loins, and learnt a lot about them. The guides were very passinate about the park. WE had several older people in our group that werent able to walk far so one of the guides went and got them a chair to rest in, and The Lion Man himself took some in his van and gave them a tour of the park from the van which they really enjoyed.
It takes about an hour to walk around the park and it is well worth the visit.
Just one tip would be for the park to have a few more chairs or bench seating around the park, for people that cant walk far or stand for long.
Overall a fab time had by all at Kingdom of Zion.
Thanks to the wonderful staff.

4  Thank karene63
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I love lions so this was exciting for me. We did a feeding tour which went for about 1 and a half to 2 hours. The lions get really excited to see their food so you get to see a bit of growling and pacing etc. They seem well fed & groomed and the staff are knowledgable and give an educated commentary. There are around 33 lions/tigers etc so you get to see quite a few. I do hope they don't breed anymore though as they have plenty as it is. Make sure you take a bottle of water & a hat because there's a bit of walking in the sun.

3  Thank Clairey84GoldCoast
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Sign posts a-plenty from whangarei, zion is fairly easy to track down! Whats not so easy to do is explain just how wonderful this place really is!
Having been on a feed tour before-a total must do-because seeing the cats a little more active is fabulous! We decided to do the cheetah encounter...at 175 dollars each its not cheap BUT its worth is immesurable! Included in the price is the normal tour...we had 2 guides, both of whom were fantastic and knew all the facts and personalities of each cat. they are unashamed in their promoting of zion and the need for money to get it where they want it to be.
Look beyond the slightly small enclosures and see the big picture...they can only get the cats what they need if we keep going and supporting them!
After the tour its onto the big event...feeding the cheetahs! After a brief but well done safety talk (didnt make me worried to do it!) with the keepers..it was into the den!
Oh my goodness! These cats are something else! Big dark eyes take in your every move without giving any menace, these cats know they are in charge! But they also know youre a little bit nervous! And seem to want to put you at ease!
the keepers settle the cats, show you how to hold the meat for best feeding and then how to stroke them! Its exhilirating! The keepers never leave your side and i felt safe the whole time!
We fed the girl cheetah at the fence line, her eagle eyes watching ever morsel as you dangle it for her! Then the male cheetah stood tall on a rock (amazing picture op!!) i couldnt tell you how long we were in there because it felt like time stood still! But we fed and fed until they told us they had had enough!
my words do not do convey enough how FANTASTIC and AMAZING this experience is! If you do one thing this year...do this! Take the drive, organise it on a feed day for maximum good viewing and pics! or tick something off the bucket list and feed the cheetahs! Give your money to a place that will use it to better the lives of these beautiful cats! Thank you zion! See you next year!

7  Thank kevinlauryn
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I was unsure whether to visit here or not. With the various troubles that have been well publicised in recent times, together with the fact that I am not a big fan of animals in cages I was apprehensive. However I am very glad I did - the tour lasted close on two hours and the guide was friendly and informative. Craig Busch (The Lion Man)made an impromptu appearance and was friendly and very gracious and willing to pose for photos with various people.
The staff were all very friendly and accommodating. Having tied our elderly dog up in a shady spot next to the car due to the heat, the lady on reception even took her out some water and checked on her while we were inside.
The enclosures were not as large as I had expected but were adequate and understandable now that a number of the animals have needed to be split up for their own safety.
The feeding tour we went on was very interesting and I learnt much that I was not aware of. This sort of tour tends much more informative than the traditional zoos.
There was a definite family atmosphere there and plenty of space to spread out. The tour was at a relaxed pace, with plenty of opportunity for photo-taking.
With the new NZ rules now in place, the encounters are not as close-up as they used to be and the emphasis is on safety at all times. Whilst this is good to ensure the safety of visitors, it is obviously frustrating for the staff to be no longer allowed to interact with the animals directly. For a team so passionate about caring for the animals it must be heart-breaking to have to distance themselves now from animals they have known for so many years.
The Kingdom of Zion is not necessarily easy to find (our GPS even took us down a dead end road!) so make sure you check your route before you leave. It is signposted from Kamo but not many other places it seems!
Anyway highly recommended if you are heading north.

4  Thank Macker11