“Great place to go”

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Great place to go”
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

Visited today , great walk round with the staff guide. The park is just up and running again, after 3 years. We visited from Scotland ( well we did come to visit NZ.) but after seeing Craig on tv in the UK who could resist? If you visit N Z do make the effort it's well worth the detour.

8 Thank Gerryriddler

Auckland Region, New Zealand
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“lion man returns”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Situated a few km north of whangarei the park is easy to find, I took the family there form a visit plus my wife was doing a cheetah encounter as a birthday present. We chose to do the feed tour.

Craig was is South Africa when we visited but the knowledge and obvious love the keepers have for these cats showed that there was no loss in value on our part. There was a real sense of pride that they were going to make a sucess of Zion now its reopened and plans to re build and improve the facilities there.

To be honest I wasn't expecting much but to my absoloute delight I thought it was great, the insight I got into these big cats was fantastic, the way the cats responded to their keepers was superb and the way they used the pecking order when feeding was fascinating to watch.

My wife loved her Cheetah encounter, I will go back again in a few years once they have themselves to where they want to be and wish them all the best, i recommend that you do this tour.

Visited September 2012
9 Thank david603
Cardiff, United Kingdom
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“Go...you will love it!”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Travelled there from Auckland in our hired camper van, took just over an hour and half. We were booked on the 2pm course but as we got there early, I phoned and asked if we could go on the earlier one, no problem at all.
Having watched 'the lionman' on tv, and being a leo, I was really excited see the animals in the flesh! The tour started on time with a safety information session with our guide. We then proceeded to take the tour, we had, a few minutes earlier seen 'Craig' who was giving a personalised tour (which is more expensive). He was very pleasant and went on his way to meet his party.
To get back to the tour...our guide was very knowledgeable and works there on weekends as a volunteer as do most of the staff there. I'm not going to get into the politics of the previous management but the park has now been renamed The Kingdom of Zion.
All staff are currently unable to handle the animals (a MAFF directive). The animals looked healthy and well cared for. Our guide spoke to them and in most cases, they responded.
One thing I, and others taking the tour noted, when Craig was in view,(doing his own tour) they wanted nothing to do with us, they were far too busy looking adoringly at him!.
There are some drinks and gifts to purchase but are rather limited as they haven't long reopened. They do need more people to visit so they can continue the good work they are doing and I'm sure if you are an animal lover, you would love to see them. I have attached some pics. Nice clean bathroom too! I loved it here and would go again.

Visited August 2012
7 Thank msna
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Excellent”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Good tour , after the issues they really trying to get back on their feet ! The lions and tigers are excellent and great staff , looking forward to go back in a few years once the new cages are open and completed

3 Thank James A
Sydney
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Mr Busch us back to save the day!”
Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

When pulling up I was a little apprehensive, there didn't seem to be anyone around and the place seemed closed.

Anyhow 60 dollars I thought was a little steep at first but the place is bigger than it appears.

I was the only one on my 11 am tour so had the gift of having one on one with my guide Neville who had only been there 12 weeks but was happy to answer all my questions concerning the lions and tigers and bears (nah there are no bears).

It did seem a little run down and lacking in an educational sense, there weren't any billboards with the kitties names or species on but the guide was very helpful and tells you this anyway.

I got some really fantastic shots on my camera despite the lazy lions basking in the autumn sun. Beats going to a zoo but I hope they continue to improve the place so its got some side attractions while you wait for your tour.

I'd go again but this time in the afternoon when they've worked off their meal. The tigers are really love to talk to each other.

What's great is that it only costs a quarter of a Sydney bridge climb. That makes great in my opinion. Big cats rule.

4 Thank Phil M