“Wanted to stay but no-one cared”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #25 of 34 Hotels in Whangarei
Reviewed August 1, 2011

On a recent trip "up-north" we decided to try our luck at The Grand Hotel. I called from Auckland the night before travelling and was told quote "no need to book, no one else is staying just rock up". ummmm okayyy..... SO we did as we were told, arriving at approx 4pm on a Friday afternoon. Upon finding the hotel I popped in to make a booking - firstly there was no-one around so wandered down to the "bar". Two "waitresses/ bar ladies" were on the bar serving customers so I waited. After everyone was served their drinks I asked about accommodation and if the "balcony" room was available. "Yeah" was the reply from one of the waitresses who then removed herself from the bar even though I thought we were in the middle of a conversation. When I enquired to the other woman serving I was told that the original woman had to go and "sort out the pokies". This did not bode well - when I did manage to talk more and find out if the room was available a sort of piece of paper was bought out and "yep she was available eh". Okay I thought, great, now where should we park the car "oh there is no parking eh! you can try your luck over the road but can't guarantee it". At this stage I decided my $ was better spent elsewhere and thanked the staff and left as quickly as possible. Such a shame as the place looked fun/ charming but with service and an attitude like that I was glad I spent my $ elsewhere...... PITY

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kiwiactrss
There are newer reviews for The Grand Hotel

Reviewed April 20, 2011

The management at The grand were very helpful in offering an excellent tarriff as I was staying for a few weeks. when my plans changed they were sympathetic and never grumbled re the missed nights. The rooms are recently refurbished in a traditional style fitting with the historic quality of this building. The best room has it's own balcony where Queen Elizabeth the 2nd once stood & waved.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 35 (it has the balcony!)
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank bharvey01
Reviewed March 29, 2011

Our check in at this hotel was a little bit akward as there wasn't anyone to be found at the reception. Instead we were told to go to a bar a couple of doors down the road. The bar was filled with lots of drunk folk (that being 10am) and screaming we tried to explain the bar staff what room we would like, I thought that was a little bit sketchy and was preparing for the worst.

However we found a neat, spacious double room in a perfect location for sightseeing and catching the bus early the next morning. The bed was a little to soft for my taste but other than that I can't complain. We had a little TV, water heater and fridge which was a nice amenity. The bathroom appeared clean, and like the whole hotel had a certain antique charme to it. There was an opening to drop your used razor blades like in the old days.

Downstairs is a Thai restaurant which we didn't try but it looked pretty booked out. Also there is a bar which can be used as a function room.

We enjoyed our night here and I can recommend this hotel to every budget minded traveller, they even have backpacker accomodation, so check it out!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 19bianca91
Reviewed March 21, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel before, and decided it was easier to book again for our first night in NZ. More suited for back packers and it does need a refurb. Arrived and got the key from the bar, I was on crutches and struggled upstairs only to find I had been given the wrong key and the room was in fact occupied. How embarrassing. Struggled back down and got the real key, no real apology. After a long flight and a painful knee I could have cried. My husband was enjoying a beer somewhere!!!
Have on both occasions booked the room on the front with the large balcony. After viewing rooms previously this appears to be the best room.
Free parking until about 8am outside.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DawnySouthampton
Reviewed March 4, 2011

We arrived rather tired after flying from Oz, picking up a car and heading north.
The owner / manager made us very welcome, giving us a special rate in the room where Queen Elizabeth slept in the 50's. The room was a typical hotel room, but with an ensuite. We also had a very large private balcony outside our room. Great!
The Thai restaurant downstairs had yummy food, and excellent service. The Chicken Choo Chee was delicious.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple