All reviews whanganui river new zealand backpackers bbh sockets lodge kitchen sink riverside
Reviewed December 27, 2016 via mobile

Stayed at the Tamara Riverside lodge with my wife and 4 year old son. The entire place was very clean and well kept. The garden area is great as well. The owner enthusiastically showed us around and recommended places of interest and restaurants in the area. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: December 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed November 20, 2016

We were stuck in traffic on this day and called in advance to let the owner know we would be arriving late. This was much appreciated (will definitely keep doing this if we are delayed) and luckally it was no problem.

On arrival we rang the bell at the reception as it was unattended due to the late hour. Somebody came to help us straightaway and the staffmember was very friendly and helpfull. The room was a good size, clean and well styled. We had a comfortable bed and a good night sleep. Did not use the kitchen much, just for breakfast, but it looked good to me. Had a great stay here.

• Stayed: October 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2016

We arrived late and Kev (night manager) was very patient with us (and our many bags) and showed us around the property and made us feel very welcome. The room was lovely, with a soothing view of the river out of large windows, and very spacious and comfortable. The kitchen was clean and well-equipped. Dining and lounge areas were large and well maintained as well. It was quiet season, but overall seems like a place where your sleep would NOT be disturbed at all. The property itself is beautiful, and it's Edwardian villa charm has been retained quite well. Met the owners the next morning, and they were very friendly and helpful as well. Would definitely recommend Wanganui and Tamara for a few days to stop and relax between the 2 islands (if you're on a countrywide trip like we were!). Wish we had longer there!

Room Tip: Right by the river, spacious, good common facilities
  • Stayed: November 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2016

Gentleman met us at the reception very friendly and helpful remind us more than once if we need any assistance to call him any time. Gave us information about special event that was happening in Wanganui. Room an on suite had every thing we need for one night stay. TV room and common kitchen is available for customers in the main building nearby. Room open to the back garden. If we have to stay in Wanganui we will stay again.

Room Tip: single room by the garden nice an comfortable.
  • Stayed: October 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2016

I booked the room on the phone, and the owner offered me a room for 70$ (that was what I heard on the phone). We turned up in the evening quite tired and there was another staff member who said she was new to the place. She said the room was normally 72$ but if the owner gave us a quote of 70$ she will give us the room for 70$. It was a normal polite conversation. So the whole story was about 2$ misunderstanding.

First thing in the morning the owner turned up to our room banging on the door shouting "who told you about 70$?!" - without even saying "good morning" or anything like that. As I opened the door he did not ask what happened, he started shouting at me blaming me for bullying his staff and trying to fool them. In the end as I somehow managed to tell him my story he blamed my accent for the misunderstanding.

Honestly, he left me in tears as I had just woken up and was unprepared to such an aggressive interaction, as no one has ever treated me like that in New Zealand.

I consider it totally unacceptable and unprofessional. Very negative experience, which spoiled the rest of my day.

• Stayed: September 2016, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheOkopa
TamaraLodge, Owner at Tamara Riverside Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2016

An unfortunate incident remembered quite differently to this description. My own staff member was herself upset by feeling bullied. Whilst misunderstandings can happen, I am duty bound to protect my staff