151 on London(Whanganui)
$83
The Grand Hotel(Whanganui)(Great Value!)
$62
$92
YHA Whanganui Braemar House(Whanganui)(Great Value!)
$43
$17
Savings alert! 35% below average rates

The price you found is 35% lower than this hotel's average rate of $26/night.

42b College House(Whanganui)(Great Value!)
$55
Kings Court Motel(Whanganui)(Great Value!)
$66
Agoda.com
Alderton House(Whanganui)
$79
$63
All reviewswhanganui rivernew zealandbackpackersbbhcomfortsocketskitchenlodgesinkriverside
Reviewed October 9, 2016

I booked the room on the phone, and the owner offered me a room for 70$ (that was what I heard on the phone). We turned up in the evening quite tired and there was another staff member who said she was new to the place. She said the room was normally 72$ but if the owner gave us a quote of 70$ she will give us the room for 70$. It was a normal polite conversation. So the whole story was about 2$ misunderstanding.

First thing in the morning the owner turned up to our room banging on the door shouting "who told you about 70$?!" - without even saying "good morning" or anything like that. As I opened the door he did not ask what happened, he started shouting at me blaming me for bullying his staff and trying to fool them. In the end as I somehow managed to tell him my story he blamed my accent for the misunderstanding.

Honestly, he left me in tears as I had just woken up and was unprepared to such an aggressive interaction, as no one has ever treated me like that in New Zealand.

I consider it totally unacceptable and unprofessional. Very negative experience, which spoiled the rest of my day.

• Stayed: September 2016, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheOkopa
TamaraLodge, Owner at Tamara Riverside Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2016

An unfortunate incident remembered quite differently to this description. My own staff member was herself upset by feeling bullied. Whilst misunderstandings can happen, I am duty bound to protect my staff

Reviewed July 6, 2016

I had a very long day of travel before I arrived at the Tamara Lodge. Though, from the moment I stepped inside my weariness started to fade and an immense sense of comfort set in as I saw the lovely house and was warmly welcomed by the host Barbara. I was shown to a nice clean room where I could completely unwind. There are wonderful sitting areas to chose from in the neat 100 year old house and the shared modern kitchen is great to cook in. I traveled around New Zealand for 5 months and I can honestly say this is the most comfortable backpackers I stayed in. They also have incredible looking private rooms with views on a budget. Tamara Lodge is not to be missed.

• Stayed: June 2016, traveled solo
Reviewed June 5, 2016 via mobile

The title apples to both the abode & Rory who is the host who greeted us both welcoming and helpful. Tamara is a character 2 storey old dame. A bit chilly but the room was warm with an oil column heater. Located on the bank of the beautiful Whanganui river. Im joining BBH to secure member prices for next time.

Stayed: June 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed May 16, 2016

I stayed here with my sister (a couple of old ladies) in May 2016 - found it through booking.com and chosen by price. Found a lovely old building, former maternity hospital with a good view of the river. Our ensuite unit was part of a newer building at the back, facing onto the lawn and garden. Very cosy and clean, with extremely comfortable beds and a good shower, Inside the main building, a well-equipped kitchen for guests' use, plus large dining room and sitting room with tv, games, books etc. Tariff only $86 per night
Delighted with the whole set-up

Room Tip: We wanted a ground floor room, this request fulfilled. Our room had a view of the garden
  • Stayed: May 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2016

We received a very friendly welcome form host Rory. His knowledge of the city was great and he helped us maximise the short time we had on our one night stop. We stayed in one of the rooms in the little annexe behind the main building. It was basic but comfortable and good value for money. The shower was very powerful!
The lodge is a short, enjoyable walk, along the river, to the city centre. We managed to ft in an enjoyable walk around the main centre of the city and enjoyed seeing the old Edwardian buildings, etc. The Rutland Arms was a good place for a meal and a drink. The Saturday morning market was well worth visiting.

• Stayed: April 2016, traveled as a couple