“Noisy room”

Tamara Riverside Lodge
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I had a "river view" room next to the entrance and reception. It was rather a street view room. I was bothered by traffic noise from the street, noisy guests at reception area and other close public access rooms and by guests in the adjacent room (- my room had only a thin "carton" wall and was not soundproof at all -).
No bathtowels.

Room Tip: Rooms with a river view have street view; those facing the garden seem to be quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Paul K
TamaraLodge, Owner at Tamara Riverside Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2014

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to post a review. All I can do is apologise for a experience that clearly didn't meet your expectations. Easter is such a busy time for us it is sometimes difficult in a Backpacker setting to keep all things quiet but it is always very much a priority for us. A point I would like to make however is that we never advertise Room #1 as having 'River Views'. It is the 5 rooms upstairs that the Lonely Planet Guide is referring to with the views. Room #1 is the only street facing room downstairs and because you were the last in line having made your booking on the day of arrival it was simply the last room available. Once again I apologise for your unsatisfactory experience

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed in Tamara for two nights as part of our honeymoon. The place is ok but the owner was conservative and does not want to believe that anything related to his place may be problematic and need to be improved!

One example: the place lends bicycles to the guests (the bikes are free but it does not mean that the owner gets nothing from that as he believes!). We borrowed two bicycles; the lady gave us the lock and key. My husband intended to keep the key in his pocket because he thought it could easily fall out and be lost. The guy saw our discussion and ordered: “…put the key in the lock…if it falls out, that is our fault!”. We followed. We biked (at the same time tried to have a look at the key sometimes) but it happened because it’s possible to happen. The key came out and was lost! We narrowed the area where we might loose it and spent half an hour biked back and forth to search for it. Finally, we found. We told the owner with lots of hope that it may be useful and so that other guests will not loose the key in the similar way. Unexpectedly, the owner said something like: “…if it really happened…” and to emphasize for his disbelief, he took a lock and key, put them together and try to separate them in front of us!

Second example: my husband was not careful when he had shower and he make the water go out to the other floor of the bathroom (they are separated by a curtain and probably he put the curtain in the wrong way). He was very shortsighted, so he could not see there were much water and the water was leaking downstairs. The owner went up to tell my husband to stop having shower. I believed that is the right thing to do. But funny enough when I heard the noise, came out to ask “what happened”, he was so angry to me and said “I do not want to talk with you!”. After that when we checked out, he continued to explain my husband where the water was leaking down. I tried to keep calm and asked more about the situation but the guy kept saying to me “you have nothing to do with it. I donot want to talk with you. I do not like the way you come to me”. (Sincerely Rory, I think a lot but I still cannot understand what’s wrong with the way I came to you??? You are much older than me, the age is very important in Asian culture and I am sure I did not show any disrespect when I came to ask you things. Did you mean that you do not like the fact that I am Asian!)

This is my best lesson on how much a tourist-host interaction can make or destroy the experience!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lani1985
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

This is a truly exceptional hostel. A friendly welcome matched by superb facilities.

I had a room at the back of the main house overlooking the quiet garden. I booked a single, but got a family room with a comfy double bed and the ultimate in backpacker luxury, my own bathroom. This is only the second time in 6 months of travelling that I've enjoyed that perk.

Everything in the hostel from the room to the kitchen and lounge areas are clean as a whistle and everything works as it should. Granted the wi-fi didn't reach as far as my room but as I've pretty much given up on expecting hostel wi-fi to be anything other than rubbish, it didn't affect me at all.

The only downside to the hostel is that it's in Wanganui, which I found to be completely disappointing. Full of annoying teenagers and the town is so dead, the one pub I really liked closed its doors at 10pm on a Saturday night. No, really!

If you really must stay in this town though, this is the hostel for you.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Lee H
TamaraLodge, Owner at Tamara Riverside Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Hi Lee

Thanks very much for your kind words about our Lodge.
It is a shame that you were not as enamored with the City itself and I will be passing on your comments to the local marketing organization. Thanks again for taking the time to post a review

Reviewed February 7, 2014

We had such a relaxing/ good time at the Tamara that we extended our stay from two days to a whole week and would have stayed longer had we had more time. Next time!
The service was really good and we got a lot of advice from good places to eat, to organising day trips; can highly recommend a trip up the river, STUNNING!
The room we had out the back in the garden area was both really comfortable and clean with the added luxury of an ensuite ( always nice :-) ) not to mention peaceful ( always good when traveling with a 9mnth old )
Also a plus is that the Tamara is has a really good fully equiped kitchen, large dining area and a fantastic garden out the back to relax in.
It was quite hard to move on but hopefully one day we will get to go back.

Room Tip: The rooms out back in the garden are quiet and have their own shower.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank HDutzi
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I stay at the Tamara each time I go to Wanganui and each time it just gets better!
I love the building and the old rooms. The staff are so welcoming and helpful.
It feels like home every time we go there.
Great location and it's easy to get around from there.
Amazing back yard to relax in.
Highly recommend

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Westcoast37
Reviewed February 4, 2014

If you are in Wanganui for the majestic river tour or just biking round the country you could find no better place than to stay here. I've made it my base in the South Island for 3 trips now (most receent in October of 2013) and the convenience of being able to choose between shared rooms (saves $$) or having one of the en suite rooms is a blessing. There is a fully stocked large kitchen to make your own food if you wish, washer/dryer facilities and wifi! What more could you want. AND- to me the biggest plus here- you are ON the river offering that amazing comfort of being near flowing water. Spud is getting a little grey in the muzzle now but he's still there offering a head to be petted or just comfort whilst reading in an hammock. Try it! You'll not be disappointed

Room Tip: I prefer the en suites- good hot water and my own loo- but that's a personal decision.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wendy c
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We decided to stay at Tamara at last minute, and we really glad that we did. They were very accommodating, offering a room upgrade (for no extra charge) given that they didn't have any of the rooms we wanted available. The location by the river is beautiful too!

The hosts were friendly and helpful, the house was great and the room was in mint condition. The shower in our room was a bit all over the place though and the pressure was quite low, but I'm not sure that's the case for other rooms.

The garden and the amenities were also very nice, and we really wish we had the chance to stay more time there and enjoy a bit of the trampoline. :)

Room Tip: We stayed in room no 6, where the shower wasn't that great.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
TamaraLodge, Owner at Tamara Riverside Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Thanks a lot for the tip on the shower and we will get that remedied as soon as possible. Cheers