“The Oaks Restaurant”

Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in Whanganui
Whanganui, New Zealand
“The Oaks Restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is a review on the restaurant only of this establishment. We have had a very good meal here in the past. Whether the chef or ownership has changed, I do not know, but the meal was very average, bland and over cooked. I had the baked fish and it was tough and all pretty much dumped onto the plate. On the other hand, this is a good place to go if you have no taste buds and just want to fill up, as the meals were huge. The staff were helpful and friendly. A little disappointed we were over charged for an extra garlic bread though. Yes I could have said all this before we left, but my experience in Wanganui has proved that these comments do not usually get passed on.
I will not be dining here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Napier, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

The staff are mostly friendly (the Frenchman in the bar excluded) but its a pretty dark and tired hotel. The studio unit has the ubiquitous fridge that clicks, whines and hums through the night. Sky reception is a bit dodgy. Bathrooms are classic 1970s! Restaurant is ok, but very old school. Free wifi so happy with that. Visit the gym....a good chuckle! Not sure I would stay again.

Stayed August 2013
Palmerston North, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

I enjoyed my stay in Wanganui. The accommodation was very clean, comfortable and affordable, the meals and service excellent and the office staff very helpful. The situation was good, just off the main street and adjacent to the well known Collegiate College with its English styled buildings and impressive chapel. I would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

May have just been my lucky day but got a room which was more spacious and like a suite - with car parking at the door - and even real coffee to brew. The property itself is ageing and could do with better laundry facilities but my experience of staying here was very pleasant.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Narziss
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

In reading recent reviews, I can understand the writers' views, although for this type of accommodation in New Zealand one isn't surprised by things being "dated". My husband's family just had a reunion, with over 45 people ranging from age 81 to 2. We completely booked the circular building, which has a lawn and barbecue area in the middle (about 16 rooms, I think), and the overflow was in the rooms in the back block. The units were well laid out and equipped for cooking, and were scrupulously clean. They are very simple, in what I've come to see is the NZ do-it-yourself style of accommodation of bedroom, living area with kitchen, and bath. In addition to having the lawn area for informal gatherings, a barbecue and pre dinner drinks on Saturday, we used a conference room during the day and for Saturday dinner, and staff was very accommodating of our changes in various plans. The buffet dinner served on Saturday was not "gourmet" but was varied and tasty, and, I thought, a good value for $30pp. This is not one of the newer, modern motels in town, but the staff was very nice (no, they did not show us to our room - I don't find that generally to happen in these types of places), the rooms were serviced well, and for a large group, wanting to spend time together, the set-up was perfect. For our purposes, the location was also good, as a supermarket was a block away which made self-catering easy. It is also an easy walk or quick drive to the excellent Sarjeant Art Gallery and Saturday market on the river. To the extent that the motel bills itself as "luxury" I would disagree, but we definitely enjoyed our stay. We did not eat breakfast or go to the regular dinner at the hotel, nor did we use the gym or spa, so I can't comment on those.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed at the Quality Inn Collegiate in Wanganui and it was nothing like we expected. Checkin service was dull with no friendly welcome. We were not shown to our room instead we were pointed in the direction to head and told to park where parking space is available. We were under the impression that that each room was fully air conditioned. This hotel had very poor air conditioning which was a heater attached to a wall and you had to be standing directly over it to feel its little effect. I had to ask for a receipt when checking out as one was not given. The room was basic and nothing to wow about. The only friendly service we got was from two cleanings, one that did the beds and the other that cleaned the bathroom, whom both did a good job.

Sorry to say but I would not stay there again. Customers rely on sites such as this when looking for good accomodation so I strongly encourage customers to leave feedback as hotels are not always honest when giving a description of their facilities.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Whanganui hotels

Masterton, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

having stayed in a number of motels/hotels I found the Quality Inn to be dissapointing. The company I was facilitating a workshop for had booked one of the conference rooms hence the reason I booked a room for the night. On arrival, the receptionist informed me is in one of the motel-style rooms round the back on the second floor. It was dark and there was no offer of showing me my room or help with bags. I had to drive round the place twice, then park and walk to find the room! Not good. On finally finding the room and struggling to get me bag up the stairs I found the room to be very dated. An array of different patterns and colours. The kitchen featured an oven that was at least 20-30 years old and the bathroom had a shub - again, dating back 20-30 years! Mainly clean but there were some hairs (not mine) on one of the walls in the bathroom and the top edge around the vanity splashback looked as though it hadn't been cleaned in a long time.
On the positives, bed line was clean and wifi acess is free. Location is good.
Conference room - the George - again, dated, poor light, red patterned carpet and right next to the train line. Service adequate, catering adequate but nothing to rave about.
Would I go back or recommend - no.

Room Tip: if you have another choice of accommodation - go there!