“Spacious rooms and a quiet location”

Quality Inn Collegiate
Ranked #17 of 26 Hotels in Whanganui
Reviewed February 25, 2013

May have just been my lucky day but got a room which was more spacious and like a suite - with car parking at the door - and even real coffee to brew. The property itself is ageing and could do with better laundry facilities but my experience of staying here was very pleasant.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Narziss

Reviewed February 25, 2013

In reading recent reviews, I can understand the writers' views, although for this type of accommodation in New Zealand one isn't surprised by things being "dated". My husband's family just had a reunion, with over 45 people ranging from age 81 to 2. We completely booked the circular building, which has a lawn and barbecue area in the middle (about 16 rooms, I think), and the overflow was in the rooms in the back block. The units were well laid out and equipped for cooking, and were scrupulously clean. They are very simple, in what I've come to see is the NZ do-it-yourself style of accommodation of bedroom, living area with kitchen, and bath. In addition to having the lawn area for informal gatherings, a barbecue and pre dinner drinks on Saturday, we used a conference room during the day and for Saturday dinner, and staff was very accommodating of our changes in various plans. The buffet dinner served on Saturday was not "gourmet" but was varied and tasty, and, I thought, a good value for $30pp. This is not one of the newer, modern motels in town, but the staff was very nice (no, they did not show us to our room - I don't find that generally to happen in these types of places), the rooms were serviced well, and for a large group, wanting to spend time together, the set-up was perfect. For our purposes, the location was also good, as a supermarket was a block away which made self-catering easy. It is also an easy walk or quick drive to the excellent Sarjeant Art Gallery and Saturday market on the river. To the extent that the motel bills itself as "luxury" I would disagree, but we definitely enjoyed our stay. We did not eat breakfast or go to the regular dinner at the hotel, nor did we use the gym or spa, so I can't comment on those.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed at the Quality Inn Collegiate in Wanganui and it was nothing like we expected. Checkin service was dull with no friendly welcome. We were not shown to our room instead we were pointed in the direction to head and told to park where parking space is available. We were under the impression that that each room was fully air conditioned. This hotel had very poor air conditioning which was a heater attached to a wall and you had to be standing directly over it to feel its little effect. I had to ask for a receipt when checking out as one was not given. The room was basic and nothing to wow about. The only friendly service we got was from two cleanings, one that did the beds and the other that cleaned the bathroom, whom both did a good job.

Sorry to say but I would not stay there again. Customers rely on sites such as this when looking for good accomodation so I strongly encourage customers to leave feedback as hotels are not always honest when giving a description of their facilities.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 20, 2012

having stayed in a number of motels/hotels I found the Quality Inn to be dissapointing. The company I was facilitating a workshop for had booked one of the conference rooms hence the reason I booked a room for the night. On arrival, the receptionist informed me is in one of the motel-style rooms round the back on the second floor. It was dark and there was no offer of showing me my room or help with bags. I had to drive round the place twice, then park and walk to find the room! Not good. On finally finding the room and struggling to get me bag up the stairs I found the room to be very dated. An array of different patterns and colours. The kitchen featured an oven that was at least 20-30 years old and the bathroom had a shub - again, dating back 20-30 years! Mainly clean but there were some hairs (not mine) on one of the walls in the bathroom and the top edge around the vanity splashback looked as though it hadn't been cleaned in a long time.
On the positives, bed line was clean and wifi acess is free. Location is good.
Conference room - the George - again, dated, poor light, red patterned carpet and right next to the train line. Service adequate, catering adequate but nothing to rave about.
Would I go back or recommend - no.

Room Tip: if you have another choice of accommodation - go there!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tracey011
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This was the first and last time I visit the collegiate Quality Inn. The whole place is very dated, from the reception, to the rooms, to the 1/2hr booking of a spa (which was an old blue spa, not heating correctly, just in a back room, adapted as a mini gym and spa) The door to our bedroom didnt fit the door frame, thus it didnt shut. The toilet you had to sweeze up to shut the door getting in or out. The heater couldnt heat up 1 foot in front of you, and made the sound of a jet engine sound quiet. Our room at the back, backing onto the Supermarket with the railway to the side of us, was surprisingly not as noisey as it was pokey and even with the recent refurbishment, very 60's. All this for $159 a night - what are they thinking. My husband, daughted and I stayed here on a trip back from Taupo to New Plymouth as my husband uses Qaulity Inns for business trips, this will be the last time ever.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Tina A
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Easy walk to town. Not impressed by dated rooms and poor staffing ratio at breakfast service to busy to serve coffee to guests and therefore we went down the road to a delightful modern cafe.conference facilities ok.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank coromandelteam
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I was there on a business trip. The hotel is quite old now, with the bathrooms very outdated. However it is clean and the bed is very comfortable. The staff are helpful and the dinner at the hotel was ery good. However the breakfast selection was one of the not good. The big commerial size plastic bottle of Orange Juice was on the table - you had to pour it from the big bottle, you had to wait for your toast to be cooked in the kitchen, the fruit had run out by 7.30am and the watier was very diorganised, he had to yell to everyone in the dining room the orders coming out of the kitchen because he didn't know who had ordered them. My colleage order eggs benedict but it was not edible. The breakfast really did let down the hotel. However I would stay there again as the rooms were quite, clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: Most room would be pretty OK I think, it is in a quite area of town
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business