“wouldnt return”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“wouldnt return”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

horrific service & food. Was just a bad expeience allround really.

Visited February 2012

Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lacking...”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

My fiancee and i went to Roma with another couple, who are friends of our that have been away serving in Afghanistan. So we were very excited about having a great evening with great food, wine and atmosphere to catch up.
Our Friend had made the reservation and asked about the byo conditions, he was told one bottle per person so this was what we bought, a mixture to see what we could match to our food and mood.
As soon as we walked in the door we were looked up and down and snapped at by the man greeting and seating us. He said in a very rude and judgmental tone, you can only have one bottle between two. Our friend explained we had been told by one of the staff members one bottle per person, we were actually fine that she had made the mistake and were happy to just have two bottle but were absolutely turned off by how this man treated and spoke to us.
We all agreed to just stay and let it go, hoping the food would make up for it.
Throughout the evening the same guy plus other staff members would be giving us soon rude, piercing looks. so we all felt uncomfortable.
The food started to arrive and we were less then impressed, food had been left sitting under the heat lamp too long and was evident. Food was not fresh, no seasoning.
It only seemed to get worse, seafood chowder tasted like muscles in cold white sauce, all the seafood dishes smelt fishy and were slimy. (frozen,old, not cooked well) .
We also noticed a couple in the corner and could hear them complaining about the food then they left abruptly.
The only few things we did enjoy was the concept (would have been fantastic if pulled off) also we enjoyed the meat carved at our table.

All four of us wont be recommending or returning. So many great places in Palmerston North, we are so disappointed to have a bad experience.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Quinmuz
, Owner at ROMA - The Grand Fire, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
I dont know where to start , I am so bitterly disappointed that your evening with us was so dreadful.
I am so very sorry.
We aim to have high quality staff ,and our food is prepared fresh daily.
I will certainly take up the issues you have identified, with the staff concerned.
If I could ask, when did you dine? this will assist me identifying the staff who were on duty that evening.
This situation will not go unattended.
Am I able to make contact with you, in regard to cpmlimentary meals?
Once again, I am very sorry.
Regards
Anne
Wiltshire
“If you're hungry and want to pay a set price this is the place to go!”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We went to Roma, Grand Fire after my daughter's graduation and it is innovative in style with quality food. If you have a different dietary need, let them know and they go out of their way to make special food for you. I am gluten free and they brought a delicious selection of dishes. When you're full just turn over the block to red and they stop coming - fancy abit more - turn it back to green and they will return with more scrummy grub!

• Visited May 2012
Roma032, Owner at ROMA - The Grand Fire, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thankyou so very much, and I am thrilled you enjoyed your evening.
Hope to see you agin.
Anne
putaruru
“Didn't go hungry”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We ate at Roma on a tuesday night and when we got there found that is was there buffet at the table night where they keep coming around with food until you say you have had enough. Lots of variety and no one went hungry. Dessert was however very average. We would of appreciated being told that the table buffet was what was happening that night at the time that we booked as had we known we would have chosen to eat somewhere else as it was a graduation dinner and really not really suitable in our minds for a specail occasion.

Visited May 2012
“Different but good”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I recently had the pleasure of visiting Roma for an evening meal. The concept was something I had never seen before. All the food was absolutely delicious and there was a large selection available. I hope to be back in the not too distant future.