“Overpriced average food”

La Patio Cafe & Bar
Cuisines: European, Cafe, New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: La Patio is one of Palmerston North’s finest restaurants. The restaurant has a welcoming ambience and with refurbishments completed there is no better place to dine.
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is an odd restaurant. We have been been before and really liked the food, this time it was very, very average. The menu isn't very interesting, and the Harissa lamb had almost no spice, just tasted like roasted lamb to me. The service is pretty poor, the staff are all very young and inexperienced, and it doesn't have the right feel. We didn't stay for dessert as it was very uninspiring. The mains are all around $33 plus veges, which for the quality of the food and service is well overpriced. Won't be returning.

Michael H, Manager at La Patio Cafe & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to leave us feedback on your dining experience at La Patio Cafe. The chefs have been notified about the " Harissa lamb" dish that you ordered and the Restaurant Supervisor will be talking to the staff on how they need to always exceed the customers expectations. I hope you change your mind and will consider visiting us again in the future. I will be adding a very attractive La Patio Special to our Facebook Page in the next few days that may interest you. If I can be of any other help to you please contact me at web@coachman.co.nz

Reviewed September 5, 2013

La Patio staff squeezed us in on Fathers' Day as I forgot to book until the day before but we went early and as usual had a great meal. We are known by name now and greeted by the manager personally. George had fish and chips but the chef pan fried the gurnard (did you know that this fish cries when it is caught) for him and he enjoyed it thoroughly. I had a lamb shank and it was so good I ate everything on my plate! A lovely way to celebrate Fathers' Day and another excellent meal.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We have been coming to La Patio for over 2 decades and the food has never let us down. This is a combined review of two lunch meals in June. On both occasions the food was excellent but the service was very odd: cloying, not listening to simple customer requests. I put us off our meal a bit.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I attended the Sunday afternoon High Tea at the Coachman and was blown away by the quality and attention to detail.

The food was dainty, delicious, and plentiful and I loved all the little extra details - from the piano player to the fine china and gorgeous linen.

The staff were friendly and attentive and it was a wonderful way to be thoroughly spoilt on a Sunday afternoon.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Staying in a motel and tired after work...I couldn't be bothered heading out. La Patio were professional on the phone offering advice on the menu; I selected the steak and YUM! Delivered bang on time, hot and delicious - cooked to perfection!